“Wedding Disappointment”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Esquimalt
Calgary, Canada
“Wedding Disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

The English Inn....in theory, an amazing trip back in time to an adorable glimmer of Victoria history....in reality, a huge disappointment with no knowledge in customer service. My new husband I booked the English Inn for our wedding event over a year ago and just this past weekend finally had our big day. In the time since we booked our event the following happened: the English Inn went through three separate managers whom each time we needed to reexplain our whole event, lost our reserved date for our wedding, could not find our deposit receipt, and at one point attempted to add $10,000 to our rental fees even though we had a previous agreement on price before the establishment went into receivership. We found out later that it had already been in receivership before we booked our wedding date which no one mentioned. We had several people promise us multiple things throughout the process and as we dealt with new managers, employees etc along the way, we were constantly apologized to and they assured us that moving forward we would be a top priority.

Fast forward to the week before our wedding day and our actual wedding and things were a nightmare. It seems to me that the staff was ill prepared to deal with a large event and organization on their part felt obsolete. Further more, it being the most important day of our lives and after having been through such a nightmare leading up to the date we expected top notch service and we, as well as our friends and family who occupied the entire hotel, thought for sure the staff would step it up but unfortunately this was not the case. I emailed the manager after my wedding to explain how mine and my new husband's room had not been cleaned for the three days we were in the honeymoon suite, she wrote back that she could not confirm and/or deny that this was the case (as she was not there) and then turned back on me accusing our family of going into their storage closets. She was correct, we did, we took brooms, garbage bags, cleaning supplies and cleaned our own rooms and several areas of the hotel. This because, there was no one to help us! The grounds have been left to overgrowth and two days before my wedding my mother was weeding the gardens in front of the Anne Hatheway cottage as it broke her heart to see this place in such disarray. The day I left the hotel, which was three days after my wedding, there was still garbage and mess inside the building as well as on the grounds.

At one point during my stay we discovered that several of the keys to rooms in this hotel were "master keys" and could open any room in the inn. It took two days for them to re lock my room as I complained for safety reasons and because I had all of my wedding stuff in my room but what they probably haven't even realized yet is that 6 other keys were master keys as well and after they re locked my room several of my family members could use their room keys for all of the other rooms to get in and out as they pleased. One early morning a fire alarm went off in one of the other guests rooms for over an hour, with no fire brigade, no staff and no help to turn it off. She ended up pulling it out of the wall. My parents then moved into this room for our wedding and the fire alarm stayed broken, wires exposed, and unsafe. When I questioned them on this matter they said the alarm company didn't have time to come out till next week. This was their response with a full hotel with guests and no employees on hand through the night. Obviously safety is not a high concern.

All in all our wedding day was beautiful because I married the love of my life but it is all in part to my amazing family who pulled together and basically ran the event ourselves. The English Inn is truly beautiful and has the potential to be a 5 star stay but with no one taking pride in service, care of the facility, or care for the customer, it is now a washed out, unfriendly, uninviting facility. I thought that we would go back each year and celebrate our anniversary in this lovely place but unfortunately now when we think of the English Inn, a week after my wedding, still dealing with their thoughtlessness, I have anxiety and stress remembering my day and never want to go back again. The cost is not the issue, the price for these rooms and an event would be totally reasonable if you felt like there was any care for you as the customer. If you want your special day to be truly special and stress free, look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Kendra M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Coaldale, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

My son and new daughter-in-law held their wedding and reception at this hotel in July. I was quite disappointed in the room they hold the reception in as it was once a restaurant and has walls in it which didn't allow everyone to see the head table. It can only seat 50 or so people but some felt left out because of this. The food was good but my son chose beef tenderloin and every serving was rare, most of my guests would have preferred to have it cooked a bit more. The service from the staff was minimal, they didn't ask how anyone wanted their meat cooked and didn't seem to notice when some guests didn't eat their portion of meat. The coffee wasn't served, it was on a tray in the foyer. A meal that included a salad, buns, a few vegetables and a piece of beef tenderloin was approximately $100 a plate. If you are looking for an expensive place to have a wedding this is it. The gardens could be very pretty if they were kept up better and the rooms aren't air-conditioned so they are very hot in the summer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank jkinaustralia
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

We spent 3 days in Victoria, and stayed at the English Inn. It was a great value for the cost. The room was large and clean. The warm fresh Croissants were a great way to start the day, if you can wait till 9 AM for breakfast. The staff were friendly, and did offer to help us carry our luggage up to the third floor, since there was no elevator. The gardens around the hotel were pleasant to view.

Courtenay, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Our daughter was married at the English Inn on May 18th, 2013. I would like to follow up on this event by saying how amazing the venue was and how supportive the staff were to ensure that the the day unfolded as planned our daughter and her fiance.

The weekend of the wedding, the English Inn manager and staff helped to organize the rehearsal and music, and to welcome guests who checked in early. On the day of the wedding, the manager and staff ensured that all was in place as planned. They worked long hours and we most appreciated their dedication to excellence in wedding coordination and caring customer service. As a result we enjoyed a beautiful wedding that was all that we had hoped for. Thank you!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I’d like to thank all wonderful English Inn staffs for their great hospitality. My wife and I really enjoyed staying in this Hotel. They made our every day that we were in beautiful Victoria. There is no doubt that the beautiful English Inn would be my first choice in my next visit of Victoria.

Room Tip: If you want a cheap luxury room, try Estate Suits.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver Island, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is the second time staying at the hotel. First, my downside. There is no onsite staff over night, after ten pm so when problems arise in the middle of the night, you have to call the manager who lives in another house on the property. That being said though, the property, the rooms and the service is superb! So comfortable, clean and the staff are incredibly friendly and accommodating. This is a great place to hang out and relax......warning though......so comfortable, you may not want to leave the room!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a patio if available. Worth an upgrade! The Picadilly room has a claw foot tub as...
1 Thank frequenttraveler0102
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is a REALLY beautiful hotel, and the price we paid was fantastic, given that we were a five minute drive from downtown Victoria. One needs to understand before going here that this is NOT a chain hotel, it's over 100 years old and is bound to have some quirkiness. We stayed on the third floor and there is no elevator, and the second flight of stairs is very small. The girl at the front desk was very friendly and helped us bring our bags upstairs. There's also no air conditioning (or wasn't in our room). In a way this makes sense, rewiring the entire thing for central air would be an enormous cost, and individual units sticking out of windows would look horrible. That being said, I would have appreciated screens on my windows. Our room was very warm when we arrived, given the afternoon sun streaming in our huge windows, and the option of either the heat or bugs was a little off putting. The grounds are really lovely, the breakfast was totally delicious (home made croissants!) We were comfortable, and the service was excellent. While checking out the staff told us we could poke around any room with an open door so we got to see a lot of the rooms (including the honeymoon suite) and they were all really pretty. In some small areas you can see that upgrades need to be made but nothing that really negatively impacted our stay. We had a really lovely time away. Best of all, the hotel was quite busy and it was SILENT. We could hear that there were other guests when we were in the hallway, but once in our room, you'd swear we were the only people there. I've stayed at MUCH more expensive resorts and dealt with a lot more irritating "noise pollution". Also note, that if you bring a child and want a travel cot for them, you do need to call ahead. Our room had a nice sofa so our little girl was fine there.

Room Tip: If you're going in the heat of summer, expect the rooms to be quite warm.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Esquimalt
Fairfield
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,193 reviews
The Fairmont Empress
#19 of 52 in Victoria
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,449 reviews

Been to English Inn? Share your experiences!