“This WAS a Beautiful Property. But is Worn Out Now!”
Review of English Inn

English Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Esquimalt
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This property was originally a mansion with large grounds built at the turn of the 20th century. It has been a hotel in one form or another since 1947. The poperty definitely has curb appeal and the buildings, from a distance at least, are post card perfect. The public spaces inside the "mansion" are authentic, well maintained, and quaint. A perfect location for a wedding reception or large party. And that seems to be what the facility is focused on. Not being a hotel or bed and breakfast as advertised.
But looking closer, the room we had was worn out. A melange of old furniture and bathroom fixtures. Wall paper was peeling. The bed creaked loudly at the slightest movement (discovered in the morning that the bed frame was falling apart). And the heat in the room could only be controled by leaving a window open all night (thank god it was March and not July).
We paid off season rates, and even then, the value was not there.
There are better choices in Victoria near the same price point.

Room Tip: Stay away!

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Our son & daughter-in-law gave us a 1-night stay at the English Inn & Resort in Victoria-Esquimalt which they purchased on Living Social. Excited, we looked up the English Inn website which looked fantastic with stylishly furnished rooms and beautifully landscaped grounds. If anyone likes the experience of the total opposite, this is the place for you. The website portrays a complete false image to the reality of this hotel. The website pictures look nothing like the hotel. The property is totally neglected and the grounds were poorly maintained. The whole place is in need of several million dollars to bring it up to the standard of the pictures and blurbs depicted on their website. Do not go. We stayed in Room #12. The room was smelly, the carpet was dirty, and the bathroom walls were in desperate need of a good clean. In addition, the room was freezing & there was no thermostat. Guest safety is clearly not a priority with no staff on the premises after 11 pm and with an emergency exit strewn with dead leaves. Thank goodness we didn't have to use it. We felt that we were the only guests in the 14-room main house but in the morning at breakfast we met 2 other couples who had a similarly poor guest experience. The continental breakfast that was included was disappointing. Stale bagels & scones. No sign of the freshly baked croissants as promised by the hotel. The grounds must have been fantastic many years ago but are now totally run down and not just in the last season. How anyone can rate this property more than 2 stars at best is beyond our understanding. We believe that the developer who has taken over the English Inn has no interest in spending any money on the business other than just keeping some money coming in. Too bad for what could have been a beautiful old English Inn. Do not book unless you want the extreme opposite of what is advertised.

5  Thank jk-rover
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I feel I must write this review to express my disappointment with a recent stay at The English Inn. We booked this stay through Travel Zoo quite some time ago, after looking over their website. This website, is in my opinion, fiction at best, and a completely fraudulent lie at worst. The paragraphs outlining both the Hotel Features and Guestrooms are total untruths. I find it hard to believe this business can run efficiently with the shortage of staff we experienced, and it was very difficult to speak to a live person on the phone and rather inconvenient to wait for return calls.

The room left a lot to be desired, in that the bed was very hard and was in fact was two beds pushed together. The window coverings were roll up blinds that had to be held down with a chair pinching the blind to the window sill, and even then did not offer a great deal of privacy. The bathroom was obviously a renovation gone wrong, in that the shower and sloped ceiling over the tub did not afford me the luxury of being able to stand up straight while using the mediocre facility. The peeling paint in the shower did not represent a 3.5 star facility. The designer toiletries consisted of one 2” square bar of soap, and some small shampoo bottles. The throw rug at the foot of the bed probably had not been vacuumed in quite some time as there were pine needles on it upon check-in and two days later on check-out. The TV was circa 1980, and had the phone and cable box set on top of it. There were other deficiencies and this facility is certainly not what one would expect from an upscale hotel.

The first morning we were served breakfast of sorts which consisted of a crescent and a small container of yogurt, as well as coffee. The coffee was great I must add. The second morning we were informed there were not enough guests, so no breakfast was available. When I booked this room, it was clearly written breakfast was included. Who would make this arbitrary decision, not someone who would expect a return visit from a guest. If this is the attitude of the managment at the English Inn, I will not be returning, and would not offer any sort of recommendation.

As I indicating at the beginning of this reveiw, the service and amenities at this hotel certainly do not reflect a 3.5 star property, and I would say this hotel is way over priced and the management is relying on the history and supposed quaint ambience is order to justify the price tag.

5  Thank HowieR55
Reviewed March 17, 2013

One recent Sunday in March found us enjoying the Spring special ($99) for a charming room at the Inn. The main floor has lovely fireplaces, patios, a basic continental breakfast, a bar, and unusual English grounds and gardens. The location affords quick trips into the city, or a short stroll to some gorgeous oceanfront parks. Our room had an ocean view, very comfortable bed, windows that let in the sound of the gulls and the smell of the sea in the morning, and above the bed there was a skylight to star gaze. The breakfast was very basic but can't complain for the price. The Inn itself looks like an old mansion, some buildings had thatched roofs, and the outdoor space was kind of wild in late winter. One must be able to manage stairs, and narrow passageways, and wish to peer in nooks and crannies to spot the many unusual architectural aspects hiding around many of the corners. It would be a great spot for a mystery party. On the Sunday night the doors were closed early and no staff appeared to be on site. It was a bit dark coming in the back way at night, it would have been helpful to have a flashlight to navigate the path or have better than just solar lighting in the winter. We enjoyed the unique and original character for a relaxing overnight.

Room Tip: We looked at the rooms that were available before we chose, but the website has good photos. The pa...
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Just stayed here on a quick trip to Victoria, we needed to be close to my partner's family who live outside of Victoria in Esquimalt. We thought that the Inn looked nice, and I'm sure it would be beautiful in the summer time! The rooms were so quaint and charming, it was neat to stay in something with so much history. Breakfast was provided, which was great, although we mostly ate out with the family at restaurants, so it didn't bother us. It's nice to get out for meals! The staff were great, so helpful. The location was perfect for where we needed to be, not close to downtown, but nothing is too far on this southern part of the island, took no time at all to get into town!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This was my first time staying at the English Inn and it was amazing. I frequently travel to Victoria from Vancouver for work and usually stay at corporate cookie cutter hotels downtown. Like most of my associates I am bored of those and thought I would try to find something better. I used tripadvisor to look for something unique and that is how I found the English Inn. It is also why I thought that I should start writing reviews of where I have stayed - to help other travellers like me.

My room was at least twice the size of something you'd find at a typical chain hotel downtown, it had a massive patio where I had a drink (and snuck a smoke!), and in the morning they made fresh baked croissants for free. I took my croissants and coffee outside and literally saw a deer in the flower garden beside the parking lot. I won't even tell you what I saw in the parking lot last time I stayed downtown.

I drove to my meeting in the morning, it took me less than 10 minutes. At night I cabbed to a restaurant because I was drinking. The cab was $10. The location is virtually downtown yet it it feels like you are in another world at the hotel - which made my otherwise mundane business trip feel like a real vacation.

The staff clearly love the hotel - and that added to the heritage building's charm. I had a pizza and beers in the lounge. The beer was cold. The pizza was hot. I was happy.

I will be bringing my wife to this hotel for a romantic getaway on our anniversary, and will certainly be back before then for work.

Room Tip: I had a room with a balcony which was great.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jim B
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My girlfriend took me here as a surprise getaway to cure the winter blues – it was perfect! I can’t stress enough how wonderful the environment was at the English Inn. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and serene and the staff is warm and welcoming. The rooms were described as charming, and they certainly were! We actually spent most of the time relaxing in our room but were pretty happy about the convenience of the location when we wanted to head downtown for dinner. This was the perfect place to be suspended from the mundane for just a little while... I can’t wait for our next weekend getaway!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelBugg888
Also consider these accommodations in or near Esquimalt
Fairfield
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
#2 of 2 in Esquimalt
Rosemary Inn
#1 of 1 in Esquimalt

Been to English Inn? Share your experiences!