“Out of the ordinary, history, mystery”
Review of English Inn

English Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Esquimalt
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
“Out of the ordinary, history, mystery”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

One recent Sunday in March found us enjoying the Spring special ($99) for a charming room at the Inn. The main floor has lovely fireplaces, patios, a basic continental breakfast, a bar, and unusual English grounds and gardens. The location affords quick trips into the city, or a short stroll to some gorgeous oceanfront parks. Our room had an ocean view, very comfortable bed, windows that let in the sound of the gulls and the smell of the sea in the morning, and above the bed there was a skylight to star gaze. The breakfast was very basic but can't complain for the price. The Inn itself looks like an old mansion, some buildings had thatched roofs, and the outdoor space was kind of wild in late winter. One must be able to manage stairs, and narrow passageways, and wish to peer in nooks and crannies to spot the many unusual architectural aspects hiding around many of the corners. It would be a great spot for a mystery party. On the Sunday night the doors were closed early and no staff appeared to be on site. It was a bit dark coming in the back way at night, it would have been helpful to have a flashlight to navigate the path or have better than just solar lighting in the winter. We enjoyed the unique and original character for a relaxing overnight.

Room Tip: We looked at the rooms that were available before we chose, but the website has good photos. The pa...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Just stayed here on a quick trip to Victoria, we needed to be close to my partner's family who live outside of Victoria in Esquimalt. We thought that the Inn looked nice, and I'm sure it would be beautiful in the summer time! The rooms were so quaint and charming, it was neat to stay in something with so much history. Breakfast was provided, which was great, although we mostly ate out with the family at restaurants, so it didn't bother us. It's nice to get out for meals! The staff were great, so helpful. The location was perfect for where we needed to be, not close to downtown, but nothing is too far on this southern part of the island, took no time at all to get into town!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This was my first time staying at the English Inn and it was amazing. I frequently travel to Victoria from Vancouver for work and usually stay at corporate cookie cutter hotels downtown. Like most of my associates I am bored of those and thought I would try to find something better. I used tripadvisor to look for something unique and that is how I found the English Inn. It is also why I thought that I should start writing reviews of where I have stayed - to help other travellers like me.

My room was at least twice the size of something you'd find at a typical chain hotel downtown, it had a massive patio where I had a drink (and snuck a smoke!), and in the morning they made fresh baked croissants for free. I took my croissants and coffee outside and literally saw a deer in the flower garden beside the parking lot. I won't even tell you what I saw in the parking lot last time I stayed downtown.

I drove to my meeting in the morning, it took me less than 10 minutes. At night I cabbed to a restaurant because I was drinking. The cab was $10. The location is virtually downtown yet it it feels like you are in another world at the hotel - which made my otherwise mundane business trip feel like a real vacation.

The staff clearly love the hotel - and that added to the heritage building's charm. I had a pizza and beers in the lounge. The beer was cold. The pizza was hot. I was happy.

I will be bringing my wife to this hotel for a romantic getaway on our anniversary, and will certainly be back before then for work.

Room Tip: I had a room with a balcony which was great.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jim B
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My girlfriend took me here as a surprise getaway to cure the winter blues – it was perfect! I can’t stress enough how wonderful the environment was at the English Inn. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and serene and the staff is warm and welcoming. The rooms were described as charming, and they certainly were! We actually spent most of the time relaxing in our room but were pretty happy about the convenience of the location when we wanted to head downtown for dinner. This was the perfect place to be suspended from the mundane for just a little while... I can’t wait for our next weekend getaway!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelBugg888
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

For an old English Inn our room was quaint, charming, and is what we expected. We had no complaints about the room itself or of the staff because they were all great. However, the continental breakfast was severely lacking with only having limited quantities of fresh croissants, yogurt, and apples and bananas. They had no restaurant during our stay, and the pub menu in the lounge was very disappointing. I would like to see more restoration to the rooms instead of adding more layers of paint which must be close to 100 now. Upkeep to the grounds and surrounding buildings would have been nice to see. Overall we enjoyed our stay, but felt it was overpriced for what it was.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank WeekendReviewers
B.C.
Reviewed February 6, 2013

The Inn is rustic. An attempt has been made to restore it to a past glory, but it seemed that either the money or the ambition to restore it ran out. The grounds, for the most part are neglected. I recently saw pictures in an advertisement for this hotel, and couldn't believe it...they must have been taken years ago, as the place hardly resembles those pictures.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kazee
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I was so pleasantly surprised by my visit here. I came for a romantic weekend getaway and that is exactly what we got! I was so pleased by the welcoming and friendly staff. They were so helpful and warm.
Our room had an amazing view and we really enjoyed the atmosphere of the older hotel. There is a lot of character and charm in this place. Great food, GREAT weekend!!! We will most certainly be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kylie G
English I, Public Relations Manager at English Inn, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed our recently relaunched pub menu. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

The English Inn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Esquimalt
Fairfield
The Fairmont Empress
#20 of 49 in Victoria
Hotel Grand Pacific
#14 of 49 in Victoria

Been to English Inn? Share your experiences!