“Quiet and Pleasant”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Esquimalt
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Quiet and Pleasant”
Reviewed May 31, 2011

This was our first visit to English Inn. As other reviewers have said, it is located in a well kept residential area, so not surprisingly it was very quiet at night. The 105 year old manor house itself looks fantastic and has been well cared for over the years, as are the grounds it sits upon. The room we had was large and very bright, as the outside wall has a huge picture window that the afternoon sun streams through. (The curtains though are a heavy material, so it'd be nice to also have shears perhaps, to filter the sun without the current alternative of going very dark.) The furniture in this room is modern but comfortable. The bathroom was up to date also, but could use a shelf of some type to place your toiletries. Extra pillows and blanket were in the closet should you want those. The restaurant is not open currently, so your options for meals are limited to getting some "appies" in the lounge, or heading out to a restaurant somewhere. Staff are evident through the day and evening and very friendly and efficient. A nice bonus is you are only a 5 minute walk to the ocean, with a very large park to walk through, with great views.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CashandCarry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Reviewed May 26, 2011

English Inn at Victoria is a lovely boutique hotel for weekend getaway and other events including wedding and business meetings since they do have facilities to fulfill your needs. I went there on May 13th, which was Friday, but the weather was perfect to visit Victoria. It is located about 5-10 minutes drive from downtown Victoria and situated in a quiet residential neighbourhood. Thus, you would feel like you have run away from busy urban life. When I first entered the forest-surrounded entrance pathway, I found myself was in a tunnel connecting to ancient English world. I believe that everyone would be amazed by their recently renovated manor. I was welcomed by their friendly staff members with great smile on their faces. I took a quick tour walking around their large 4-acre landscape, wedding venue, and Anne Hathaway’s cottage. I wish I could have my wedding in such elegant garden.
The room was clean and well-furnished with large bed and classic antiques. I love to travel and have been to several countries but no other hotels ever give me same impression as English Inn did. You can really get relaxed surrounding by the authentic old English style architecture and charming character. The main building was just renovated, you can definitely tell they really put their efforts and did their job to impress every customer. The lobby and lounge were very nice with a fusion of old and modern design. I spent some time sitting in the lounge area and pretty much enjoyed the atmosphere there.
I would strongly recommend English Inn to tourists whether they like modern design 5-star hotels and would like to taste classic charm or those who prefer a quite isolated place to stay. It will certainly give you a lifetime memorable experience.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank THLin
Reviewed May 15, 2011

We arrived in Esquimalt (2 min from downtown Victoria) to find an amazing property situated in a quiet residential neighbourhood. The long drive-way was a charming entrance to a picturesque property. The gardens were tidy and Spring would soon bring amazing flowers to a variety of flowering tree and shrubs. We stayed in the Main Manor and found the room clean, comfortable and well-appointed. The staff recommended some great spots to eat and shop, thank you. We enjoyed a walk around the gardens to seek out other buildings on the property. The Inn was a peaceful world-away from our busy week and can't wait to return.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hiltonlake
Regina, Canada
Reviewed May 14, 2011

On April 27, 2011 our family celebrated the wedding of our daughter, and 68th wedding anniversary of my parents at the English Inn. We arrived on April 25 and left on April 29. During the entire time, all of the staff were friendly, courteous, helpful and competent – in all, the kind of staff I have always tried to hire in my business. The rooms were excellent, the banquet was delicious and beautifully presented, and the grounds were coming into bloom. Other than a bit of rain, on the 27th, it couldn’t have been better.

Thank you again to Justine and all of the staff for a wonderful and memorable time.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 29, 2011

The staff were fantastic. Their graciousness and helpfulness were greatly appreciated. I arrived with a reservation for one night hoping that a cancellation would allow me 3 nights. Luck was with me, and I was able to stay for the 3 nights. I was surprised that a light continental breakfast was included. Bonus! I was alone, and given a Garden room in the main building which made me feel very safe. it was a small room on the 3rd floor, Not for the faint of heart as you did have to climb the stairs. The room was off of a small hallway, shared with another room.

It was small, no desk, but a fake fireplace that was fun to turn on as it was very cold that weekend. A fridge, and a kettle for tea with a lovely tea pot. Instant coffee. Lovely bathroom but the tub had some damage and the finish was coming off. That apparently will be dealt with as that room is due for a reno. The bathroom had that old house musty smell that many old hotels have but the shower curtains smelled fresh. The space between the bed and the walls is narrow, and the bed frame is much larger than the mattress and I hit my leg on the sharp corner several times. A much larger person would be challenged to walk by and not injure themselves. Lots of storage in the closet.

Bed was comfortable. The room was quiet. I heard the neighbors arrive one night but only as they walked by my door and unlocked theirs.

The breakfast was perfect. A croissant, yogurt and a piece of fruit along with a great cup of coffee. For big eaters this might be too small, but it was a bonus as I did not see about it on the web page, and was not told about it when I phoned for a reservation.

The main floor was very well maintained, but as you walked the stairs the carpeting was very dirty and remained so over the weekend.

The internet service did not work at all in my room. Attempts by the office staff to help were futile. There is a computer on the mezzanine level that is for client use. For the few things I needed to check that suited me fine.

I have stayed here before. It is not the big impersonal hotel experience, so those expecting the facilities and amenities of that will be disappointed. But if you want a quiet quaint room in a neighborhood a short drive from down town Victoria, this is a wonderful place.

The restaurant no longer serves meals, but the bar has a small bar menu.

I have to repeat that the staff was exceptional.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
nanaimo
Reviewed April 27, 2011

This is a quaint boutique hotel which would not have been out of place in a Cotswold village and the communal areas have been beautifully updated in a contemporary understated style. The hotel was peaceful despite being almost full and the grounds serene, including deer roaming in the gardens.

I think the rooms are excellent for the price point coupled with a light breakfast with excellent fresh croissants.

Yes this is no 5 star but it isn't trying to be in my view; in fact I think it is a hidden gem which seems to be largely used as a wedding venue. The staff were initially a little unwelcoming but were then magnificent in looking after our bags and moving our room on request.

The rooms are a little musty but this is a 100 year old wooden panelled building and trust me its exactly what you get in a UK inn of the same age and older. It is called character!

i have one gross criticism, that surprised me, and which even as a very seasoned traveller I have rarely seen; the sheets were rude to say the least and needed either bleach or to be replaced; there is no way that housekeeping staff cannot have been aware of this.

That said, i would stay here again and recommend the place but with the caveat that I would check my sheets immediately!

Room Tip: ask!