“thank you for a wonderful stay, with the perfect staff and host”
Review of Villa Gonatouki

Villa Gonatouki
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ghazoua
Reviewed June 14, 2014

My partner and I have just spent the loveliest, most relaxed and top quality stay at Villa Gonatouki. Our only gripe was that we lacked the time to stay longer! Bruno and his staff could not have been more helpful and accommodating.Our room was amazing, ( we got an upgrade :) which was wonderful. The food was gorgeous and the setting sumptuous and peaceful (especially after the mania of Marrakech). We could not have asked for any better and would highly recommend Bruno, his home and lovely staff for a blissful, pampered stay. You will not want to leave.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank edinburger76
Bruno E, Propriétaire at Villa Gonatouki, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Thank you very much for your so nice review. Yes, it was not long enough but it does not matter because I'm sure you will come back. The team was very please to read that because they had a big pleasure with you. See you soon.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

We had a bit of a bumpy start to our stay - the villa is a bugger to find. There are clues: if you look it up on Google maps it puts it on the right road (dirt track) but not far enough up, and there is a sign at the bottom of the dirt track showing the various riads situated up it. Unfortunately initially it's not clear the sign refers to the track rather than the road you're on.

For anyone who has booked and needs to get there, let me save you a headache:
a) Ghazoua is outside the main town, if you're in a local car ask for Kilometre 8
b) There is a big sign next to a set of municipal bins, turn up the dirt track there, on the right hand fork
c) Carry on up the track for rather a long time
d) You will eventually hit a sign for Gonatouki, and a set of gates, which you should go through and close behind you
e) There are various large white houses, go past them until you're almost at the last one and take the right hand turn which will take you to the large orange building, this is Gonatouki

Not having been told any of this, having gotten very lost after a 3+hr drive, I arrived in a monster strop. But it was difficult to stay cross for long because Gonatouki's really a very nice place to be.

We stayed in one of the small rooms the opened out onto the lawn. It was a little damp-ish but that went as soon as the windows were opened. The room was small but more than adequate, with curtains that kept the light out. Another time I'd be inclined to go for one of the posher rooms in the main house.

The main house is very pretty and carefully maintained, with multiple lounge/dining areas. There are two pools, though one is really more decorative than useful, in good condition, and plenty of loungers/tables/umbrellas. The views over the dunes to the sea are really something, and as a seaside girl I loved the sea breeze, which got pretty bracing towards the end of our stay (fortunately the pool is cleverly sheltered by walls so sunbathing was still fine).

The best bit of our stay was the food, which was fab. You booked in for dinner, no menu, and they brought a succession of beautifully made delicious bits and bobs. The kitchen was spotlessly clean, we never had a moment's doubt that everything was as fresh and beautiful as it could possibly be. The fresh breads at breakfast were particularly lovely.

I can't speak for the owner as he wasn't around during our visit, the place was instead very nicely run by a staff of local girls. But if our stay was representative of the usual state of affairs I'd wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone and would be happy to return myself.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gloryindustries
Bruno E, Propriétaire at Villa Gonatouki, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Thank you for your review and the good information. Usually we send a plan to arrive here. But sometimes I forget...Sorry. Samira was happy to read that you loved her food. I didn't see you but the staff told me you are very nice. I hope I'll meet you another time.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

Its worth it, I promise you. A retreat about 8km from Essaouria by taxi you will pay about 80 to 100 dh (£7) Taxi drivers in town dont always know where it is, personally we stayed 4 nights in Essaouira at Hotel Ocean Vagabond then came to Gonatouki for pure relaxation before we left by local bus back to Marrakesh. (buses cheap, safe and comfortable Super tours cost 70 to 100 dh).

Villa Gonatouki is a credit to Bruno, a truly beautiful building with only a few rooms, basis rooms are at ground level and look out to the pool. We stayed on first floor with balcony, worth the bit extra. The chill out areas inside the house are plentiful, spacious, clean and cosy. No need to see other guests if you dont want to. Or make friends and have dinner together as we did.

Food is brilliant, it is very chilled out, so no menus, no choice just trust you will be served a delicious variety of local food, perfectly cooked and plentiful. Wine and beers is available also. Vegetarian or meat eaters food is great. Breakfast also brilliant.

Spent the days, laying by the pool, reading, using the hammam and getting a massage from in house spa rooms. once arrived no need to leave, the girls in the kitchen are around to help you and get you water, drinks etc.

The ethos is friendly and relaxed. staff are lovely. Even the 2 villa puppies are chilled out often found laying at the end of your sun lounger taking it easy. Will definitely return, thank you

Kerry and Claire, UK

Room Tip: First floor rooms have large balcony's. Large roof top terrace has awesome panoramic views of...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Glitterstar_11

Thank you so much Kerry and Claire for your kind review. I like when you say it's possible to stay alone or to meet many people. To stay here is under the freedom sign! You do as you wish and there are many places to be together or alone. I hope we'll see you soon. Best wishes for the future.

Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

I ve stayed in this Villa for a friends weedding recently.The place itself is fantastic,a really beautiful villa but all the beauty of our staying over there was taken away by the terrible owner who basicly wasn't even suppose to be there as we have rented all the place for a week. Instead he was there nearly 24/7 like he couldn't let people enjoying their staying without controling everywhere and everything. Very unpleasent, still we managed to ignore it until the wedding day when we have realised he invited himself taking pictures of everything and everyone plus enjoying the food and the drinks. On the very last day he was very present counting twice every single euro ( for your information count your spendings too , just to be sure its the same amount at the end). Its rare to see such a luck of tact but most of all very inproffessional if you run a such a large place.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Anna K
Bruno E, Propriétaire at Villa Gonatouki, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

What a pity. Everything started off well. From the first morning you had appreciated that I support one of you by taking him to the hospital (several stitches) and by avoiding long waiting hours (only 2 hours between our departure and return). You also asked me to play golf and you invited me for a drink several times. But everything changed. At 11, the eve of the ceremony you ask me to hold a quad output for the next morning. I called the agency which proposes to amend the schedules of another group if he accepts. I ask them to wait for confirmation. At 17h you confirm for 14 people. I remind the agency that confirms a few minutes later the other group is willing to shift the next day. It's great. At 23h you cancel and I explain that you cannot do that. I propose to compensate but you tell me that you did not sign anything. You thought that my interest was commercial. It was just respect for the word. For 4 years we have selected the best providers and all those who have benefited have been delighted. They are all pros lined with a great kindness.
I deeply regret that this incident has damaged our relationship. My subsequent presence had no other purpose than to respond immediately to your requests if necessary as find two maids or order pizza for the visiting team.
Anyway I just hope that you will especially remember a great party. The whole team and I wish the best to the married.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Best place to stay while visiting Essaouira. Bruno, the manager is awesome/friendly. 10 min from the city it allows to relax away from the Medina next to one of its pools. Amazing food: We asked to participate in the cooking and all the chefs showed nicely how to prepare the Tagine/coucous/etc...

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much Vincent. It was nice to accommodate you 2. And thank you because in 2 days 2 friends of you are coming. As I wrote them, Vincent's friends can only be very nice. You can come back when you want. The team is waiting for you. I spoke with my webmaster to change a few things on our website as you suggested. I hope it will be done in a few days. See you soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We got there around 2 a.m. and the owner was kindly waiting for us to give us a warm welcome and guide us to our room. He was available to give directions and instructions to get there at night when was already very dark and complicated to find the way.
The villa is beautiful and charming with all the exoticism of Morocco but western finishes. The food is excellent and the atmosphere relaxing.
We’ll get back in a future trip to Essauira.
Very convenient for families as an alternative to windy days at the beach…

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 23, 2014

From Agadir airport via taxi (as arranged by Bruno) we stopped en route for tagine. We later arrived at Gonatouki and chose our room...and for 4 days we just chilled.
The thing about Gonatouki is that it's just different. There are two pools, several different bedroom suites and lots of rooms and areas to be quiet and romantic in or to socialise should you so wish... My wife recommends the hammam !
Bruno is the consummate host. The ladies who keep the rooms in order and cook are brilliant. Everything is calm and every detail is covered. We particularly enjoyed a great Sahara wine with dinner one evening...
Total relaxation. Quite simply; we loved it here.

Room Tip: We chose a bigger bedroom suite on the first floor which had it's own private terrace. Everythin...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LO_and_LO2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ghazoua
9 mi away
#13 of 75 in Essaouira
Riad Baoussala
Riad Baoussala
#3 of 75 in Essaouira

Been to Villa Gonatouki? Share your experiences!