Portaferry Hotel
Donard Hotel(Newcastle)
$123
$120
Hotels.com
All reviewsscampiantique furniturequaint hotelchowderunder new managementsaturday lunchprawn cocktailsash windowsfour poster bedards peninsulaopen firenext morningbed and breakfastmember of stafftea coffeewell worth a visitferry crossing
Reviewed April 22, 2011

My hubby and I booked a last minute break at the Portaferry Hotel on the 20th April and we had one of the best breaks away ever. Apart from the great value for money (£140 for B+B and 4 course dinner per couple per night), from the moment we arrived we felt immediately like we were in the company of friends. Service professional without being stuffy, food fab and hotel SPOTLESS. We stayed in room 5 which is their bridal room. A beautiful corner room with white 4 poster bed, antique furniture and wonderful views over Strangford Lough. Staff fantastic and a credit to the hotel.
We definately highly reccommend and will be back very soon!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2011

We only went in for a drink and ended up staying for dinner and then stayed the night. Friendly staff, lovely 4 poster room, clean bathroom and really nicely decorated. A complete surprise. My girlfriend got the room key to check out the room, and it's the first time she insisted I go checked the room as it was so nice.

A few comments I have would be that the restaurant is a little dated and would have been nice to have table to sit outside or a beer garden (appreciate this may not be possible due to space).

Staff were very helpful and wner out of their way to help. We had to leave at 6:45 and they happily had breakfast laid out for us in the restaurant at 6:30 even thought a continental breakfast in room would have sufficed. Was good value too. Would be happy to go back and might also time it again to watch the crazy people swim across the lough.

Great little treasure!

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Arrived 13th. Told before we went that there was no lift available for wheelchair users and advised that there were stairs but they were very small. Fortunately I am very light as they were fairly steep and it wasnt too much of a struggle for my husband and son. A stair lift could be incorporated into this hotel with little inconvienence for other patrons of the hotel. The room was very nice but the door was very narrow but as I have a childs wheelchair I got in OK but someone in an adults wheelchair would struggle. The high tea at night was very enjoyable and the freshly cooked breakfast in the morning was a treat.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 28, 2011

my husband and i had a 2 night midweek stay a very friendly and warm welcome. high standard of accommodation and excellent food, all staff were very accommodating. throughly enjoyed are stay, will recommend to our friends and we are definitely returning.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2011

Having stayed in the Portaferry Hotel a few times before headed back for a dinner bed and breakfast stay on New Years Day. At 40 pounds per person sharing bed and breakfast it really is good value. Possiby because they were not busy we got room 11 at notadditional cost. This is a gem of a room, four poster bed, very comfortable, nice antique furniture, lovely view over the Lough and a modern bathroom, all spotlessly clean.
The hotel itself is simple, just a bar, small lounge and dining room but a feeling of warmth and comfort throughout, very important in the winter months. The free internet at reception is something not available in many 5 star hotels I have stayed in.
Dinner was good though maybe not as good as it has been in the past. Breakfast if you want an Irish breakfast is great. Not as good if you want something alternative. Like the fact that the tables are dressed in linen, and napkins also linen, again something many of the more expensive hotels don't have these days.
They could however do with better service in the bar and also as mentioned in previous reviews do better on the afternoon tea front. The info book in the bedroom says coffee, pastries and scones served in the lounge but were not available when I asked. Then I looked for a toasted sandwich and a manager had to be called to see if this was possible. A long wait for the sandwich as I was told they had run out of cheese and had to go to the shop!! As there was no where else open in Portaferry for coffee they really are missing a trick here. But overall a good, comfortable, non pretentious, individual hotel in a lovely location, reasonable prices. Such a shame Portaferry itself has got so run down over the years but the general area is beautiful with two national trust properties within easy distance.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple