“Wonderful place, great stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Greenhead
Holmhead Guest House
Ranked #2 of 3 Greenhead B&B and Inns
“Wonderful place, great stay”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

My partner & I stayed here a while ago, but Tripadvisor wouldn't let me put an older date. Upon reading the other reviews,I am saddened that there has been a change of ownership but I guess the others retired. Pauline was an expert on all things Roman, & she reminded me off Miss Jean Brody! But great stay, loved the location, bit expensive. Would love to go again, but the cows in the field would make me nervous. It was sheep when I stayed there! :-) I am now on my own too so that would scare me. Loved Thirlwall Castle & the little stream at the back.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank CarrieOnScreaming

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Upper Heyford
Reviewed June 4, 2012

My husband and I recently spent two nights at Holmhead and found the place comfortable and welcoming, the location slightly, but perfectly secluded, and the owners to be very warm and accommodating. The decor is tasteful and classy and the rooms very clean and comfortable. Having a ruined castle almost in the garden is a nice touch!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kathy M
haverfordwest
Reviewed May 24, 2012

The host and hostess were lovely, very friendly,The rooms were great and the views outstanding . I will be back. I liiked the modern shower and wet room and the tasteful decor and furniture.
So glad I found Holmhead

Room Tip: Both rooms I saw had wonderful views either of a castle or of a sweeping landscape
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I have just returned from my first visit to Holmhead. Although it was my first visit, it certainly won't be my last. Alan and Judy were very welcoming, friendly and knowledgeable; my room was spotlessly clean and the bed was very comfortable; and the breakfasts were excellent. On top of that, the local pub (10 minutes walk away) is also very good. All in all a very enjoyable experience and I would heartily recommend this guest house to anyone planning to visit the area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank John S
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I was attending a wedding at a nearby castle and my partner went biking in Keswick, booked in advance to this lovely B&B and the very friendly owner gave us perfect directions as going it alone would have been difficult. We arrived quite late but rang ahead, this was no problem to the owners. No TVs in the room but there is a great communal room with big comfy sofas and a TV. The next morning was the delight of the breakfast, there were a good selection of fruit, cereals and a cooked breakfast. You can pick and mix what you like but we went for the whole thing. Most of the ingredients were locally sources; bacon, eggs, and sausages. Totally delicious!! Owners were very knowledgeable about walks and trials around the area, we will use this B&B again.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice and quiet
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Nickie007
Kiwi in London
Reviewed September 19, 2011

A friend and I recently walked, or attempt to walk, part of Hadrian's Wall. The weather was atrocious with driving sleety rain and gale force winds. To find, at the end of the day, a warm haven of peace at the Holmhead Bed and Breakfast accommodation was not much short of a miracle. The room was, like the welcome, warm, the shower hot and most welcome, tea-making facilities in the room were a life-saver and the following morning's breakfast very ample. The shared lounge/TV facilities were well set out but we were so tired after the day we didn't actually use them!

I could thoroughly recommend a stay at Holmhead with an evening meal a short walk away at the local Greenhead pub!

Room Tip: As far as I could tell, there were 4 rooms and I believe all would have been similar other than perh...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2011

The twin room we had was very clean and comfortable, if just a little on the small side (as was the shower room). But well equipped and totally adequate for our needs (no TV but there is one in the guest lounge with a DVD player) . The position of the guest house is totally adorable and so peaceful, the evening we stayed there I just sat at the bottom of the steps with a cup fo tea and listened to the stream and watched the swallows dart across the fields and as it fell dusk a bat danced around the buildings too - it was beautifully peaceful and very much "food for the soul". The guesthouse is built on the foundations of milecastle "46a" I believe and with Thirlwell Castle on the hill behind, the history this little building must have seen over the ages is phenominal. Judy and Alan could not have been more helpful during our stay and as others have remarked - breakfast was FANTASTIC! The only thing I would say, is please be aware that on the way to the guest house you may encounter cattle in the field next door as the track to the guest house runs through the field. This could be a little un-nerving if you don't expect it and are walking back from the local pub in the evening and come face to face with cattle on the track, as we did; so if you don't like close encounters of the bovine kind I suggest you take the car to the village. By the way the local pub the "Greenhead Hotel" offers a very warm welcome with friendly staff and serves excellent bar meals too!

Room Tip: All views from the rooms were good but we had a lovely view overlooking the castle
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Oldilocks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenhead
Gilsland Hall Hotel
#1 of 6 in Humshaugh
Ashcroft Guest House
Ashcroft Guest House
#1 of 14 in Haltwhistle

Been to Holmhead Guest House? Share your experiences!