I made a reservation at the Inn on the Lake as part of a 50th birthday celebration, where there had to be a special location and memorable ambience. I took one of the larger old rooms, where was a special treat. The hotel is a large old hotel, well maintained, along the shore near Ullswater. The town is an easy drive towards the north end of the Lake District, and there are lots of opportunities for walks in the hills and along the water nearby.
The checkin was polite and efficient, and the room, was spectacular. It had a big bay window overlooking the lake and a large four-poster bed that was great. The bathroom was a bit cramped by comparison but complete, and the hotel was quiet even though there was a large wedding party staying throughout the hotel.
The restaurant in the hotel is really good: they have a big breakfast buffet and elegant dinners which were first-class. Coffee in the drawing room was a nice touch afterwards, and the hotel has a small fitness center to help you work things off.
Overall, the hotel is a fitting backdrop to celebrating the start of life's second half. I'd recommend embracing the best that it has to offer: the larger rooms and the dinners, and not to use it as a casual room to use as a base for exploring the region. (The B&B's in the vicinity are better for that)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Inn on the Lake Hotel ia a 4 star hotel that enjoys one of the most spectacular settings in the Lake District in 15 acres of grounds with lawns sweeping to the shores of Lake Ullswater. The Inn on the Lake is only 12 miles from the M6 motorway and the drive is very dramatic with the road curving around the Lake and the backdrop scenery of the fells. There are 47 en-suite bedrooms, all thoughtfully designed with most rooms having breathtaking views, some looking towards the magnificent Helvellyn mountain range, while the majority look over the ever changing Ullswater. Each room is fully equipped with everything you come to expect in this quality 4 star hotel. For that special occasion upgrade to a superior room or one of the very popular, stunning four-poster bedrooms. From the moment you walk into reception you will find an interior that compliments this fabulous setting. This leads through to the popular Lounge Bar where a warm welcome awaits with large bay windows overlooking the well landscaped gardens, which lead to the hotels jetties on Ullswater. Enjoy a drink any time of the day, a light lunch or afternoon tea in the Lounge or on our Lakeside terrace. The award-winning 2 AA Rosette Lake View Restaurant provides something for all tastes, or for less formal dining The Ramblers Bar, situated within the hotel’s grounds, offers the option to enjoy a pint of real ale. The hotel also has its own outdoor activities including pitch & putt, croquet and children's outdoor play area. Gary and his team at The Inn on the Lake Hotel look forward to welcoming you soon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Orbitz so you can book your Inn on the Lake reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Inn On The Lake Hotel Glenridding
- Inn On The Lake Ullswater
- Inn On The Lake Glenridding, England