1,894 results
All reviewsramblers barfell view roomwedding guestsstunning locationafternoon teasconeswedding breakfastwedding venuechristmas decorationsthe general managersteamersfeature roomevery member of stafffantastic hotelmain restaurantstandard roomhigh standard
Reviewed November 19, 2017 via mobile

This hotel offers a really excellent lunchtime menu. We sat in the orangery which is a bright room with views of the lake to one side. The staff were all very attentive although I think a little stretched on the day we visited. The room is also dog friendly, so a great venue for everyone.
All the meals were very well cooked and enjoyed by all.
Well worth a visit for lunch - afternoon tea - or dinner. #TayloredByUs

Stayed: November 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank Tayloredflg
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2017

Dear Tayloredflg

Thank you for your very kind comments on this review site, we are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us. I will let the staff know of your very kind words as they work very hard and love to hear about the feedback, as you say some days we do get very busy with passing visitors just popping in but we welcome everyone and ask only for a little patience in busy times.
Once again thank you for your very kind comments and we do hope you choose to stay again sometime in the future .

Reviewed November 18, 2017

We stay in a hotel in the Lake District at least once per year and my wife is from the area, so we have quite a wide experience of hotels in Cumbria.

This hotel is the best ever that we have stayed at in The Lake District. The service is second to none with every member of staff smiling, being helpful, professional yet friendly; nothing was too much trouble for them.

The hotel upholds 'traditional' standards and values but that does not mean 'fusty' or 'run down', indeed the décor is first class and very clean. There is lots of space around the lounges and although for our stay it was very full, we never felt 'crowded' or having to search for a chair to sit down. It has a quiet, respectful atmosphere and if you want a hotel that is peaceful and you want to unwind then this is it. Unlike many other Lakeland hotels, it is not a 'spa' nor a 'resort', it is just a proper hotel.

When you venture out to the grounds (and the grounds are private) the view of Ullswater is stunning and again it is secluded and quiet. If we could have stayed another day then we would have spent it all in the hotel chilling out and walking around the lake shore. It was idyllic.

My only criticism, and it is a small one, is that the 'log fires' in the lounges are not real - they are gas fires. Everywhere else in the Lakes has real log fires and it was a little disappointing not to have that 'icing on the cake' at The Inn on the Lake.

The food was excellent and a true fine dining experience with impeccable service.

We hope to return before too long.

Room Tip: Go for a lake view room - dearer but so good.
  • Stayed: November 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank India_Traveller15

Dear Indis_Traveller15

Thank you for your very kind review, we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and to rate as one of the best is praise indeed. I will certainly place your review on the staff notice board so they can all enjoy reading it.
We do hope to see you again in the not too distant future but until then let us wish you well and safe travels.

Reviewed November 14, 2017 via mobile

Firstly I have to say I’ve not stayed the night here but read this review and you will get a feel for the way the Inn on the Lake is run.

I had been leading a photography workshop on the shore of Ullswater when one of my clients fell into the water. Needing to get his clothes dry I bought my group to the Inn on the Lake.

The reception staff were incredible they called house keeping took the wet trousers off to be dried and then made a room and table available for the 10 of us to have breakfast.

They looked after us as if we were royalty. The fact that 10 wet, cold and muddy photographers can turn up unexpected and the staff welcome us as if it was all planned made such a good impression on me and my clients.

The quality of the breakfast is superb, yes it’s more expensive than most places around but it wins on quality plus the tea and toast never stopped coming!

Excellent customer service the reception staff and restaurant staff are to be congratulated on being first class

Stayed: November 2017, traveled on business
1  Thank Paul S

Dear Paul

Thank you for your very kind review, it was a pleasure to help and we wouldn't turn our back on anyone guest or otherwise who were in trouble, this is a fundamental must which shows the character and kindness that I expect from all my team .
We are delighted you enjoyed your time with us and if revisiting please dont hesitate to call in .
I will put your review on the staff notice board as I know they will take great pride in reading it.
Wishing you well and safe travels

Reviewed November 14, 2017

We had our wedding at The Inn on The Lake on 10th September and it was INCREDIBLE! It was truly the best day of our lives. The staff made sure everything ran smoothy and that we knew exactly what was going to happen at each stage of the day. We did not feel stressed out at all during the whole experience, They are professionals through and through.

Special thanks to George (our wedding compere) and Kerri for making our day truly perfect.

Roll on our 10 year anniversary when we can come back and re-new our vows.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled with family

Dear Sarah

Thank you very much for your very kind review, we are delighted your very special day was everything you wanted it to be. I am so pleased you have fantastic memories now of your most special day and we look forward to seeing you before the 10 year anniversary, hopefully.
Take care and we wish you all the happiness to you both.
Gary, George, Kerri and the team

Reviewed November 8, 2017

Visited here with relatives as a base from which to explore. Weather not great but still much to see and do. Hotel welcoming with comfy rooms and we'll appointed. Great views of Ullswater, comfy lounges and dining room. Food excellent. Would not be disappointed if I went again. Hotel decorated for Christmas with many trees and twinkly lights, but in a sophisticated manner.

• Stayed: November 2017, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hutt0n

Dear HuttOn
Thank you for taking time to write a lovely review regarding your stay here with us at the Inn on the lake, we are delighted you and your relatives enjoyed your time even though the weather left a little bit to be desired.
I will pass on your kind comments to all my team who take great pride in what they do.
Wishing you well and safe travels