1,931 results
All reviews ramblers bar fell view room wedding guests stunning location afternoon tea scones wedding breakfast wedding venue christmas decorations steamers the general manager feature room every member of staff main restaurant high standard fantastic hotel evening meal
Reviewed October 19, 2017

Got married here ten years ago and just loved the place. Haven’t returned for a few years but got a last minute opportunity to come. Came with another couple and both of our rooms where lovely. Comfy bedding and spotlessly clean. The setting of course is second to none. But it wasn’t as friendly as used to be. We didn’t get our scones on arrival but ok. I found the restaurant staff a little unfriendly and service very slow. (Personally the menu didn’t have a lot for me choose from and my husband and friends had the same feelings - but that is choice. The two men had steak always a choice when not a lot else suits). When the meals did come they where presented very nicely.
Breakfast much the same no time to smile and very slow though they did say that they were very busy. For me it hasn’t gone up a star but down.

Room tip: The lake view is a must.
Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank sweetingthorns
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2017

Dear sweetingthorns

Thank you for your review, I'm sorry you left disappointed especially with getting married here 10 years ago, I was general manager then and so i'm very pleased you have wonderful memories. The staff normally receive such great comments about how friendly and helpful they are so I'm sorry if you felt we fell short in this area.
Breakfast can be busy has guests just don't book for breakfast so one minute you can have 10 in the restaurant and the next there could be 70 so it can be difficult, buffet breakfast although much more efficient are not popular so we like to give our guests a freshly cooked breakfast and only ask for a little patience in busy times.
I do hope you choose to visit again as it is a magical place but until then let us all wish you well and safe travels.

Reviewed October 14, 2017

+Setting: garden at lake, superb lake views, luxurious hotel (air of grandeur), collection of pictures, bars (!), restaurants (refined dining);
-(I'm sorry to say): partially helpless/uninterested personnel, tip: don't place one couple of 50+ in a dining room with only 80+; and show a smile or some interest
Room: refurbished: more than ok, good bedding!

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2017

Dear Objectivum

Thank you for your kind rating on this site, we are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us. Im a little confused about your comment about putting 50+ in a dinning room with 80+, Im sure this cant be right as we have have a very mixed clientele of all ages so I am a little confused. The staff at the hotel normally receive very glowing reports and off hand I cant think who would be disinterested but I will take this up with the manager on duty as its very rare we receive such comments.
Let us wish you well in your travels and I do hope you give us another opportunity at the hotel at some point but until then, again let us wish you well.

Reviewed October 13, 2017

The hotel is in a lovely position overlooking the lake, we had a lake view room which though smallish was perfectly adequate. The hotel staff were all superb and nothing was too much trouble. would definitely go again

Reviewed October 12, 2017

We had a lovely stay at this hotel which is located right on lake Ulswater. We stayed in a standard double room which was very comfortable. On arrival we had a cream tea which was tasty, we had a little wait for it but it was worth it. We had evening dinner in the restaurant. The food was tasty and the service was very good. The atmosphere in the restaurant is calming and relaxing and unfortunately the same could not be said in the bar where there was just one person who delighted in using obscene language rather loudly. Good choices for breakfast - the breakfast muffins were very tasty. We enjoyed our stay and would visit again.

3  Thank Christina H
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2017

Dear Christina H
Thank you for your very kind words, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your comments to my time and I do hope you choose to visit us again in the not too distant future.
Wishing you well

Reviewed October 11, 2017

Arrived on Tuesday afternoon, where we were greeted in reception by a charming young lady named Petra, who was very efficient in organising our room,and everything we needed to know about the hotel.
We went to our room,which we found spotlessly clean, tea and coffee provided,an iron and hair dryer. The bed had very high quality pillows and quilt and bedding.large fluffy towels and toiletries in bath/shower room.overall impression of room,fantastic.
The hotel has wonderful gardens leading you down to the lake,and private jetty.the views are breathtaking .
We went into the lounge,for afternoon drinks .the area throughout is furnished to a high standard. Perfect for relaxing .we found all the staff to be very friendly and smartly dressed.
We had dinner in the lake view restaurant , this is a very impressive dining room for fine dining.the food quality was fantastic,as was the presentation and first class waiter-service.my wife and I would like to thank the head chef and his team, for giving us such a fantastic dining experience . Overall we had a wonderful stay ,and can't wait to return.

Room tip: Try for a lake view.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear MortyScotland
Thank you for your very kind review, we are delighted you enjoyed your overnight stay with us. Petra has read the review and pointed it out to me so she is also delighted she made your stay even more satisfying.
I will pass on your thanks to the head chef and all the team and we hope you revisit us again at some point in the future.
Wishing you well and safe travels