“"outstanding"”
Review of Inn on the Lake

Inn on the Lake
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Glenridding
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Got a very good deal, through Amazon. Half price- one night dinner bed and breakfast.
The Hotel- as it "says on the tin"- directly on the Lake, with its own small jetty.
Lawns, and the exterior of the hotel excellent. The short drive to the big car park- impressive.
Staff- all, without exeption - friendly, efficient, and generally eager to please.
Rooms- think there where 3 types of room. 1) lake view- expensive. 2) fell view - 3) standard rooms- cheapest.
We had 1- lake view- brill, bay window, top quality furnishings/fitments. and a Fell View- very good.
Food and restaurant- Faultless.
Fantastic, quiet, excellent hotel.
Yes- we will be going back.
Overall - Highly rated, treat yourself type of Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank edwardtate
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Dear Edward

Thank you for writing such lovely comments about your stay at the hotel, it is very much appreciated and I will pass your comments on to my staff who take great pride in the service they offer.

There are newer reviews for Inn on the Lake

Reviewed May 8, 2014

We moved here from a sister hotel lodore falls, as we thought it would be nice to stay somewhere else for another night. We took our dogs and stayed in a lovely suite overlooking the lake, it was so nice being able to have the dogs in the hotel and still get a lovely room.

Really nice stay, had lunch in the both the pub on site and the coffee room and very good standard.
The staff were all very pleasant and professional, hard working and really made an effort to make all customers happy.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Rebecca

Thank you for posting a lovely review on this site and we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay at both of our hotels. As a group of small family run hotels we do try to achieve the highest standards and take great pleasure in making guests stay memorable. I will pass your comments on to our staff and wish you well.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

We stayed a couple of nights with a dog and had a really good time. The room was clean and large and very well appointed.
The first night, we had a meal in the dining room and the food was very good indeed. Just right, well presented, all very tasty but not too pretentious. The breakfasts as well were very good. Plenty of choice and all quality ingredients.

The staff were all very friendly and we felt welcome at all times.
The hotel is in a great position right in the edge of the lake and the grounds are well kept.
I'm struggling to make any criticism meaning this review is reading a little bland. Maybe the only adverse comment is the TV picture in the room is not correct. You can't see the whole widescreen picture. So minor!!
We will definitely recommend this place for people to stay and I think we will return here for a future stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Cleverdic

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at The Inn On The Lake and everything lived up to your expectations. I will pass on your lovely comments to all departments and let them know how much you enjoyed your time with us. As regards the TV, I will look in to it immediately as this is an important issue and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Let me wish you well

Reviewed May 7, 2014

Stayed on 15th April, arrived early walked through the doors, greeted by reception, details taken told about dinner arrangements and breakfast room ready, belongings moved in, what more can you ask for on arrival. Great service. Decided to have coffee for her and drink for me, young lady behind bar more than happy to sort drink and bring coffee when prepared. Smooth efficient and polite just what you'd expect and exactly what you get. Lovely day walked to local pub then the "on site" pub pleasant staff, nice drink, sat outside taking the sun. As sun went down moved to orangery to watch the changing light on the lake and fells (you just have to do,it it's hypnotic and the stress of city life just rolls away. So to the room to get ready for dinner (standard fell view, room 54) view over the car park of the fells, perfectly adequate, with the views from the public rooms you really don't need to stay in the room. Slight hiccup with dinner on one night immediately sorted when brought to the attention of waitress (again polite professional and attentive great service). Met Paul ?(forgive me if I've got your name wrong) who served us breakfast who made us feel like old friends and as soon as he found out we were from Leeds and for our sins still support them introduced us to Gary the general manager (a fellow suffering supporter). I could go on and on about how good the hotel and service is but best you just go yourself if not to stay, just visit take a drink and look at the views and then try to resist booking a stay. We couldn't resist and have just booked the 2nd to 4th July so, if you're there then look for the couple looking out the window with a wine in hand. We would have been back in May and June but for other commitments). So to Gary and your team thanks for the last time and looking forward to seeing you in July.
Regards Paul Ratchford

1  Thank Paul R

Dear Paul

I do remember chatting with you about the nonstop disappointment of supporting Leeds United so it’s just as well we have other things in our lives that are more positive. Thank you for your lovely comments, I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and everything was to your liking, we look forward to welcoming you back very soon, until then let’s all remain positive about the future of our football club.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Make no bones about it, this is a fabulous hotel. Fine building, superb scenery set, as the name suggests, right on the edge of Ullswater. We attended as wedding guests and a more beautiful Lakeland venue would be hard to find. My only quibble was that the wedding bar had no single malt whisky just bog standard Bells! A small niggle but very disappointing to myself and my friends!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Bluesman52

Thank you for your kind words. We are constantly investing in the hotel to keep it at the high end 4 star status and its so nice when the feedback complements the hotel and gardens. We are set in the most stunning location but take nothing for granted. I will pass on your lovely comments to my staff and raise the issue of the whisky with my bar manager, which is a very valid point.

kind regards

Gary wilson

Reviewed May 3, 2014

We hadn't stayed here for a few years, but finding ourselves visiting the Lake District for a short break, we headed back to the Inn on the Lake and it was every bit as good as we remembered. The food, the accommodation and the attentiveness of the staff were all excellent. We'll definitely be back again soon.

Room Tip: The rooms with views over the lake are excellent, but naturally, they cost a little more.
1  Thank UncleAlan471

Dear Unclealan

Just to let anyone know who is reading this reply that you are not my uncle.Now that is clear, thank you so much for your lovely comments and we are so pleased you enjoyed your revisit to the hotel and we lived up to expectation. I will let the staff know of your lovely review and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

As we were staying locally in a cottage in Glenridding we decided to spend our last evening at the Inn On The a Lake for our evening meal. All I can say is perfection.... Staff were efficient, polite and also had time to make conversation which I always find welcoming instead of being served by a robot. The menu was wonderful (I love being spoilt for choice). I won't make individual recommendations on food as we are all different but every course was pure gastronomical delight. I can honestly say that the lamb was probably the most perfectly cooked I have ever tasted!!!! The presentation was beautiful, the size of portions was perfect, especially if like me you wanted to have 3 courses!! I cannot recommend this hotel enough and I have visited on countless occasions. I love it so much that I have booked my Xmas wedding there in December. To Gary and all of his staff, keep up the wonderful standards and you won't go wrong

Room Tip: As I have stayed at the hotel on numerous occasions, the Lake View is always a must for the spectacu...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Dear Karen & Tony

Thank you for writing such lovely comments about our restaurant. It was lovely to see you again and spend time discussing your future wedding , Karen is obviously very excited and we are looking forward to giving you both the most memorable day and Christmas you have ever had.
See you both in the not too distant future and again thank you for your lovely words and be assured I will pass on your comments to all our staff.

Gary

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenridding
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere
North Lakes Hotel & Spa

Been to Inn on the Lake? Share your experiences!