“Stunning” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Glenridding
Yorkshire
“Stunning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

This is the third time we have stayed at this family run hotel, and we had high expectations..... we were not disappointed.
It has been over 10 years since our last visit, and we have spent our holiday time travelling the world. However sitting on the edge of Ullswater, the scenery here is simply stunning and many world wide locations just don't compete.
The hotel itself has been well maintained and improved over the last 10 years. The new Orangery is lovely, I had never tried hot pimms before, it's delicious and tastes even better when it's complimentary.
We had a lakeside view room, a must if you can afford it. Even at dusk, it was lovely to look out over the grounds and see the beautifully lit pagoda. The room was very hot at first, but the heating can quickly be adjusted.
The room had a large flat screen TV, that could be easily turned to watch from either the seating area or the bed. However we preferred just looking at the views from our floor to ceiling windows.
The bathroom had the thickest fluffiest towels you could want.
All the staff were very welcoming and friendly, the reception team gave an excellent first impression, and we relaxed as soon as we had arrived. The waiting staff were brilliant and we would like to give a special thank you to Nina and Paul who both seem to genuinely care that you are not just enjoying your meal but your whole stay. (There is a very nice man in charge of service, who also deserves a mention but he does not wear a name badge)
Whilst we were there, there was a wedding going on, but it did not effect our stay at all.
Finally, the food.... We cannot believe that any of the negative comments we have previously read have been correct. The meals we ate were all so delicious, and the menus quite exciting with every course featuring a list of mouthwatering items. If you cannot manage to stay here, it would still be worth visiting just for the food.
We certainly won't leave it 10 years until our next visit.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Just returned from a two night valentines stay . A truly lovely place , full of class , charm and warmth . Very relaxing from the minute you walk in . After chatting the the manager Gary, it's very clear his focus is on making sure all guests have the best experience . He is passionate about the hotel and this runs through the rest of the staff . The decor has no expense spared and the owners taste is to the highest standards , absolute class down to every detail . The staff are lovely and we were well looked after by Paul and Mona in the restaurant . Even though the weather was bad , it was a pleasure spending time in the lounges reading the paper . Can recommend the steamboat trip and the Ramblers pub attached is very friendly too . Could not fault the food in anyway . Will definitely return at anytime of the year . Amazing setting and grounds .

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dumfries, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

My family and I visited this hotel for a birthday lunch treat. The hotel is beautiful - tasteful and clean surroundings and lovely lake views. However, we found that to our great surprise the food was awful. Even a humble pot of tea was undrinkable (I think that the water was too cold). I brought this to the attention of a waiter who (ungraciously) replaced it - with another equally undrinkable cup! No-one asked me if I was now happy with the tea.

I didn't want to spoil my daughters birthday treat by complaining too loudly but when I paid the bill away from my family I made the member of staff aware of my dissatisfaction. She didn't even offer to take the cost of the tea off the bill let alone adjust the bill for all the food left uneaten.

Our main problem was the food was tasteless and not hot. You can get a better quality lunch at a service station for a fraction of the price.

I did speak to the manager about the problem we had and he said he will look into it. He offered a voucher but no partial refund which I would have been happier with. He did not offer to come back to me with an explanation/reason why things had gone so badly wrong. Such a pity because when we arrived we were so impressed with the hotel we planned to come back for a short stay a.s.a.p

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank angela k
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear Angela

Let me reply to your review and I will be honest and balanced. Its very difficult when managers reply on trip advisor as it can come across as defensive and often we are accused of not taking constructive criticism .
I didn't see the food go out so I can only take the word of you, my bar manager and the chefs but what I can comment on is the phone call I took later that afternoon .The comments you make in your review contradicts what was actually said. You told me that the bar man was very professional and you even remembered his name and he in fact replaced the tea and offered you a different blend which was Twinning s English breakfast which you thought was tasteless but you say in your review that he was incredulous. He actually asked you twice if everything was ok and on both occasions you said things were fine.During our conversation you said that your daughter really enjoyed her meal and that your complaint was that the gammon wasn't well done as you like it very well cooked. I offered you a voucher as a goodwill gesture, you said that you didn't want compensation and that wasn't the purpose of your call but that in fact you had a cafe and as a business owner that it was only fair that you let me know but in your rather unbalanced review say they didn't offer me any money back or that I hadn't offered you a partial refund which you say is what you would of wanted There are so many contradictions and then write a malicious review.
I can tell you that we did 80 covers at lunch and over 170 pots of tea through out the whole of Saturday and not one complaint , no one saying the tea is cold of which I'm sure the staff who have been with the hotel for many years would of picked up on.
We finished our conversation and I thanked you for calling at no point did we discuss that I would call you back as you were giving me your opinion of what you say had happened.. I did check the boilers in the lounge bar and they were all working fine.
I think I will leave it at that and wish you well

Regards

G Wilson
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

What a stunning hotel. We had a lake view room, which although a little on the small side, was very comfortable, clean and had the most amazing view made better by the floor to ceiling window. The staff are very attentive, friendly and cannot do enough. The only fault I could find was in the restaurant. We opted for 5 courses on our first night and were in and out in an hour! Although rushed the food was nice.I ordered poached eggs for breakfast, which were not cooked - the white was raw. On the second night it was a complete reverse having to wait 30 minutes at the table for our starters to arrive, even though they had been ordered before we were taken into the restaurant. Enough to put us off? No, as other aspects made up for it.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

Well what can we say about this hotel ? nothing negative i,m afraid, everything was spot on , what a great management team, everyone was very pleasent , we did have a little trouble with the heating and hot water in our room on the first day but that was due to all the bad weather they were experiencing, this was soon put right by a transfer to a lakeside room with absolutley stunning views ,from booking in at reception to the good value lunches ,which turned out to be cheaper than the local pub :O the ala carte evening meals were glorious and art on a plate, which we really enjoyed, it is a beautiful hotel and was undergoing refurbishment in some rooms while we were there but didn,t affect our stay in any way we got a great deal and will surley go back again .

Room Tip: As we did get to stay on both sides in our opinion all the views were stunning both the fell view a...