“Short break”
Review of Inn on the Lake

Inn on the Lake
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Glenridding
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We enjoyed an excellent Travelzoo deal here for dinner B&B. The hotel is one of the best we have stayed in with an unbeatable location and views, immaculate customer service, beautiful interior furnishings with spacious public areas, and comfortable bedrooms. The dinner in the AA** restaurant was second to none!

Room Tip: It is worth paying the small supplement for a lake or fell view - some bedrooms look out onto a cour...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 604Elizabeth
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Elizabeth

Thank you for your lovely review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay.. We take great pride in the service we offer and it makes all the hard work and dedication worth while when we read both comments on third party sites and in house comment cards.We look forward to welcoming you back to The Inn On The Lake in the near future.

Gary

Write a ReviewReviews (1,731)

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

We had afternoon tea on a sunny afternoon and the location was excellent.

The afternoon tea was ok but nothing to write home about. A dry sandwich and what appeared to be bought in cakes/scones let it down.

Was expecting homemade fresh produce and was disappointed with what was delivered for the price.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank annon p

Dear Annon

So pleased you enjoyed the location but apologies for not enjoying the afternoon tea on this occasion. I would like to clarify a point in that we do not buy in scones cakes and biscuits. I do wish you had made it known that the bread was dry as I cant understand this, we did 60 afternoon teas on that particular Sunday and no one else complained about dry bread I assume if you were in the sun and taking your time over a leisurely afternoon tea then bread can dry out .
Again I am sorry you didn't enjoy your experience.and hopefully you will visit again and please make yourself known to me.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We married here in August. The hotel was amazing. Chosen for its location but the service we received topped everything! This is a big hotel run by a family. Tim was especially outstanding, made our day so special. Get married here, stay here, relax here!!

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Nessa4128

Thank you for your very kind comments. It is one day that has to be magical and we take our responsibility very seriously. So pleased you loved your wedding here and have happy memories that last a lifetime. Hope to see you soon

Reviewed September 20, 2013

It's all about the location when it comes to this hotel. It is ideally situated on the edge of Ullswater lake. The hotel itself is a beautiful old building which is very well maintained. We had a double room and it was extremely comfortable even if not that spacious. There are plenty of lovely areas to sit and enjoy the view, weather permitting, it does tend to rain a lot here!

We did not have a room with lake views but I would definitely recommend getting a lake view room if possible.

The service was extremely slow unfortunately. My partner was left standing for 25 mins when trying to order a coffee at the bar. I found similar issues when trying to order a drink.

Breakfast was great and couldn't be faulted. The views from the dining room are also beautiful.

When checking out I found the receptionist to be quite rude unfortunately, she seemed more interested in getting rid of us and never asked if we enjoyed our stay etc.

This hotel is very pricey but not surprising due to the location.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank kelvingillmor
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Dear Kelvin

Thank you for posting a review on this site.Yes your right its an amazing location but rather unfair in thinking we sit back and rely on this when nothing could be further from the truth.You say you were standing for 25 minutes waiting for a drink, I find this hard to believe and that's not saying you weren't waiting but 25 minutes is an awfully long time and the bar is monitored by reception and cameras and if bar staff were absent for that amount of time believe me it would be noticed.They sometimes have to change barrels or go to the kitchen but this is 5 minutes but again I am sorry you were kept waiting and its very unusual for this to happen but very pleased you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay. I spoke to the receptionist that checked you out and she apologises if that was the impression you had it certainly wasn't her intention to be rude.
wishing you well in future travels

Reviewed September 18, 2013

What a lovely break, hotel staff where very pleasant ,room was great with a great lake view and balcony, shame the weather wasn't better, would definitely recommend.breakfast and evening meals were very good ,overall a great break

Room Tip: Lake view well worth it
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rem29
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely review, We are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future,

Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wife and I visited the inn on the lake for our 10th wedding anniversary having been married at this hotel in 2003. I had tried to book a room for the weekend many months in advance but it was booked up. Regardless of that I booked a table for dinner for the evening of the 15th September. I must state that this hotel has improved since 2003 and it was very very good back then. I understand that Gary remains the manager , he did a sterling job overseeing our wedding 10 years ago. It's clear to see that the hotel has gone from strength to strength under his leadership , wonderful lounges, orangery, the grounds are beautiful and the whole place has a touch of class which means that people will flock to have their weddings at this iconic setting. I was a little disappointed with the service and food in the restaurant however. After ordering wine I do expect this to arrive before starters are served not just before our main course. My wife had to add ice to her white wine due to it being served in a glass which was warm. My Caesar salad for starters was bland but my lamb for mains was excellent. My wife had pork for mains and it was lacking in flavour. From being shown to our table to finishing desert was 40 minutes and it felt like we were being rushed to get out of the way ! We did mention to a couple of staff that it was our special occasion 10 years on but it didn't really register with anyone. I am a firm believer in balanced reviews and there is so much to admire at the IOTL and as a fellow Yorkshireman I admire Gary and his success at this fine hotel. But high standards sometimes need a bit of a jolt to maintain them and the food and service didn't match what the IOTL have built their reputation on.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Southyorks6
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Southyorks

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and its lovely to see people returning. We do try very hard to constantly improve our standards and not just take things for granted. I'm so sorry the food didn't quite live up to your expectation but we do appreciate honest constructive feedback. In a time when food is very much at the forefront of fashion and tv it is up to restaurants to keep pace and we do constantly try to cater for all tastes.It was lovely to see you and hope its not too long before you revisit.

Kind Regards

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Lovely setting for this hotel but such a shame about the weather. Staff very friendly and hotel lovely. However, our room, 27, was a little small although it was nicely furnished. We had dinner in the restaurant as part of the deal (Travel Zoo) and it was very good. Breakfast also good. Would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a nice quiet break.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view and don't have Room 27 as it is rather small and looking over the kitchen co...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alallbutt
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Alallbut

Thank you for your very kind review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay, hope the weather wasn't too of putting, we all know the lakes and when it rains. it rains but what better than sitting in the fire lounge having coffee over looking the most amazing scenery.We look forward to seeing you again soon and wish you well.

Gary

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenridding
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Best Western Glenridding Hotel
Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater

Been to Inn on the Lake? Share your experiences!