“Location, Location, Location!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Glenridding
Galway, Ireland
“Location, Location, Location!”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

It's all about the location when it comes to this hotel. It is ideally situated on the edge of Ullswater lake. The hotel itself is a beautiful old building which is very well maintained. We had a double room and it was extremely comfortable even if not that spacious. There are plenty of lovely areas to sit and enjoy the view, weather permitting, it does tend to rain a lot here!

We did not have a room with lake views but I would definitely recommend getting a lake view room if possible.

The service was extremely slow unfortunately. My partner was left standing for 25 mins when trying to order a coffee at the bar. I found similar issues when trying to order a drink.

Breakfast was great and couldn't be faulted. The views from the dining room are also beautiful.

When checking out I found the receptionist to be quite rude unfortunately, she seemed more interested in getting rid of us and never asked if we enjoyed our stay etc.

This hotel is very pricey but not surprising due to the location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank kelvingillmor
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear Kelvin

Thank you for posting a review on this site.Yes your right its an amazing location but rather unfair in thinking we sit back and rely on this when nothing could be further from the truth.You say you were standing for 25 minutes waiting for a drink, I find this hard to believe and that's not saying you weren't waiting but 25 minutes is an awfully long time and the bar is monitored by reception and cameras and if bar staff were absent for that amount of time believe me it would be noticed.They sometimes have to change barrels or go to the kitchen but this is 5 minutes but again I am sorry you were kept waiting and its very unusual for this to happen but very pleased you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay. I spoke to the receptionist that checked you out and she apologises if that was the impression you had it certainly wasn't her intention to be rude.
wishing you well in future travels

Gary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013

What a lovely break, hotel staff where very pleasant ,room was great with a great lake view and balcony, shame the weather wasn't better, would definitely recommend.breakfast and evening meals were very good ,overall a great break

Room Tip: Lake view well worth it
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rem29
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely review, We are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future,

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I visited the inn on the lake for our 10th wedding anniversary having been married at this hotel in 2003. I had tried to book a room for the weekend many months in advance but it was booked up. Regardless of that I booked a table for dinner for the evening of the 15th September. I must state that this hotel has improved since 2003 and it was very very good back then. I understand that Gary remains the manager , he did a sterling job overseeing our wedding 10 years ago. It's clear to see that the hotel has gone from strength to strength under his leadership , wonderful lounges, orangery, the grounds are beautiful and the whole place has a touch of class which means that people will flock to have their weddings at this iconic setting. I was a little disappointed with the service and food in the restaurant however. After ordering wine I do expect this to arrive before starters are served not just before our main course. My wife had to add ice to her white wine due to it being served in a glass which was warm. My Caesar salad for starters was bland but my lamb for mains was excellent. My wife had pork for mains and it was lacking in flavour. From being shown to our table to finishing desert was 40 minutes and it felt like we were being rushed to get out of the way ! We did mention to a couple of staff that it was our special occasion 10 years on but it didn't really register with anyone. I am a firm believer in balanced reviews and there is so much to admire at the IOTL and as a fellow Yorkshireman I admire Gary and his success at this fine hotel. But high standards sometimes need a bit of a jolt to maintain them and the food and service didn't match what the IOTL have built their reputation on.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Southyorks6
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Southyorks

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and its lovely to see people returning. We do try very hard to constantly improve our standards and not just take things for granted. I'm so sorry the food didn't quite live up to your expectation but we do appreciate honest constructive feedback. In a time when food is very much at the forefront of fashion and tv it is up to restaurants to keep pace and we do constantly try to cater for all tastes.It was lovely to see you and hope its not too long before you revisit.

Kind Regards

cheshire
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Lovely setting for this hotel but such a shame about the weather. Staff very friendly and hotel lovely. However, our room, 27, was a little small although it was nicely furnished. We had dinner in the restaurant as part of the deal (Travel Zoo) and it was very good. Breakfast also good. Would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a nice quiet break.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view and don't have Room 27 as it is rather small and looking over the kitchen co...
1 Thank alallbutt
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Alallbut

Thank you for your very kind review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay, hope the weather wasn't too of putting, we all know the lakes and when it rains. it rains but what better than sitting in the fire lounge having coffee over looking the most amazing scenery.We look forward to seeing you again soon and wish you well.

Oldham
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Having the Mel Allen photo of the jetty at Ullswater above my fire, I've always wanted to go and see it so my friend and I stayed in Glenridding in July at the camp site and had afternoon tea at the hotel. As we were admiring the stunning views sitting in the gardens I just knew that I would be back soon and would stay at the hotel. Just 3 weeks later I was back with my partner. We were disappointed to find that the view from the window was the Ramblers Inn rooftop. It did put a downer on things initially but the food, service and staff were all amazing which made up for the view a little. This is a prefect setting for a wedding providing the weather is good and who knows......it may just be mine! I'd like to hope that I will be visiting again before the winter sets in.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments and constructive feedback. So pleased you enjoyed your stay.

G Wilson
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights Monday through Friday. Great room with Lake view comfortable American King size bed, Dinner superb, although should stick with one multi choice menu as A la carte was limited and when choosing from table du hote it was more varied on a day to day basis. Breakfast had good choice but was very slow on 2 out of the four days. Great that it was not a buffet for the hot choices though. Would recommend it but it is expensive so make sure you ask about offers.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are stunning
Dear Guest

Its very nice to hear lovely comments and we appreciate constructive feedback. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. As for breakfast, the easy option is to do buffet as made to order can cause a wait especially when lots of guests come down at the same time but as you state people do prefer plated breakfast. I hope this didn't spoil your experience and look forward to seeing you again.

G Wilson
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Just back from a short 2 night DB&B package and we were highly impressed. The location is absolutely stunning, just a safe distance away from the crowds of the tourist hotspots.

Service was top notch, and what a breath of fresh air, most of the staff were English. We had some trouble with the wifi, and the Manager in fact tried his best to sort it out with only limited success, if you depend on the internet, pass on this hotel as things stand unless you have all the time in the world as it comes and goes.

The hotel buildings are a mix, the Orangery is a huge, magnificent, new conservatory whilst the corridors are more akin to an old peoples home. Our room was a dog friendly lake view room (10), but I think the previous incumbent must have had a pack of dogs in there because it was unpalatably smelly, even for me, a life long dog owner - management please take note! On the subject of dogs, a few more luxury rooms which accept dogs would be welcome, currently there are only 2. The room itself was a large corner room with incredible views across the lake and a side view to the mountains, the bathroom was huge with a great corner bath.

My food was awesome and of a very high level, although my wife struggled with a tough piece of beef rump one night. Breakfasts, avoid the English cooked breakefast, way below par but the smoked salmon alternative (no extra cost) was divine, pastrys were stale and not edible, fresh fruit delicious.

Lawns, grounds and shoreline are simply incredible, the jewel in the crown and golf, putting, crochet are absolutely FREE.

Dont want to sound too negative, we had a great time and cannot wait to return AND the reception staff even gave me a £20 refund for an accidental overcharge, without any prompting whatsoever, very impressed.

Room Tip: dig deeper and get that LAKESIDE room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenridding
Best Western Glenridding Hotel
#1 of 1 in Pooley Bridge
Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
#3 of 5 in Bassenthwaite

Been to Inn on the Lake? Share your experiences!