1,905 results
All reviews ramblers bar fell view room wedding guests stunning location afternoon tea scones wedding breakfast wedding venue christmas decorations the general manager steamers feature room every member of staff fantastic hotel main restaurant standard room high standard
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in early August and the views from the terrace and dining room
were incredible.
We were given room 2 on the ground floor just behind reception - We were told when we booked that this room had "no view" , but the view from the window looking out over the mountains to the rear was spectacular ! We can only assume "no view" meant no view of the Lake.
The evening meal was very nice with impeccable service, and the dessert menu had a good selection.
The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom had both a large bath and shower above it.

We were told that a wedding is held there every day of the year , and in the evening the Wedding party take over the "Ramblers Bar" which is a sort of pub within the hotels grounds not far from where our room was located .
There was some noise with people doing the "hokey cokey" round the car park after 11pm , but it soon died down as the wedding guests went back to their rooms.
The Ullswater ferry is only a few minutes walk away , so quite convenient for anyone wanting a round the lake boat trip (approx £26 for two )
Overall we were quite impressed with the Inn on the Lake and we would probably stay there again in the future

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Spectacular location with stunning views over the lake. The hotel has been nicely refurbished with the addition of a wonderful orangery. Rooms nicely appointed, huge, comfortable super king size bed - only negatives were the lack of a power shower and very soft pillows.
Ate in the Orangery- lovely food and service. Attentive, friendly staff. Very good selection for breakfast.
Would definitely stay again and recommend it for a special occasion.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed here for a one night treat. Location is beautiful, staff friendly and courteous, room lovely especially king sized bed. The food is amazing - probably the best lamb I have ever tasted! Plenty to do as it has own croquet lawn (I won!) and a pitch and put course plus the Ullswater Ferry Boat is five minutes walk away. This Hotel really does have it all. If I wanted to be picky there was no shower cap amongst the toiletries which my missus missed and the house wine is expensive at £18.95 a bottle. But take your own wine and give yourself a real treat.

Room Tip: Room 26 was a bit noisy due to pre-wedding arrivals and excitement involved in that.
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were bitterly disappointed at our treatment by the Inn on the Lake this weekend. I had booked a night's stay at this hotel (through Booking.com) for my husband's birthday present. As part of this stay, a number of other events were planned/booked - all based around this particular hotel and location. The lunchtime before we were due at the hotel, I was contacted by the Head Receptionist who told me that we could not stay at the Inn as there was a problem with the booking, caused by a fault with Booking.com's system at the time of booking. Instead, we were being moved to another hotel 5 miles along the lake. I contacted Booking.com and they said that this could not have been the case - their system wasn't "down" at the time of booking, and if that ever does happen, the hotel would still have been sent details of the reservation as soon as possible. The hotel did have the booking, but does not seem to have registered it. Possibly the hotel was overbooked and a single night reservation was the easiest to remove in order to ease the situation.
As a consequence of this booking error we had to alter our other arrangements, and our whole
weekend was changed. The other hotel was also of a 4* standard, but was not in a location we would have chosen - it was far too remote, and had no "life" about it. It was cheaper, but we didn't make our booking on the basis of price - we had specifically booked The Inn on the Lake, not just any 4* hotel in the Lake District.
We have looked forward to a stay at the Inn on the Lake, but this will never now happen!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank jenny096
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear Jenny

We were disappointed that we were unable to accommodate you and I can assure you it was a genuine clerical error that occurred with your reservation. We do not overbook and we did offer you a very good 4 star hotel in the Ullswater area with an upgrade to a Suite. So in effect we went above and beyond to ensure you had an enjoyable time in Ullswater.
I am unsure why you never contacted us direct about your disappointment but choose to go through trip advisor.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Dropped in for afternoon tea to this well known establishment which was sadly let down by it's bad service.After sitting outside for more than five minutes we had to search and find someone in order to find a menu and then to place our requests. Four people with two different types of afternoon tea. Two ( not inexpensive) teas came but I had to ask for cutlery, missing sandwiches and the other two afternoon teas which had not appeared.The manager was most apologetic and eventually everything arrived, my afternoon tea being put completely out of my reach ! still insufficient cutlery and the granola/yoghurt shot, 'though delicious, was almost impossible to lever out!! On completing our teas I had to search to find someone to pay. I resisted the impulse to sit at an inside table to wait as quite a few seats had crumbs on them or the tables had not been cleared. Picky? Perhaps. I would have expected much better service..... however .....the setting is absolutely wonderful with the immaculate grounds reaching down to Ullswater and one is free to wander and enjoy the mountain and lake views. The food was delicious and the orange flavoured scones have to rate as exceptional , the manager seem genuinely concerned but the offer of a discount would have been nice.Inside rooms that I saw were clean and comfortable as to be expected of a hotel of this repute. Would I go again? For those scones, absolutely.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family