1,894 results
All reviewsramblers barfell view roomwedding guestsstunning locationafternoon teasconeswedding breakfastwedding venuechristmas decorationsthe general managersteamersfeature roomevery member of stafffantastic hotelmain restaurantstandard roomhigh standard
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My new wife and I stumbled across this hotel 6 weeks ago, when we were looking for a one night break in the lakes. We then saw that they did weddings, so decided to go and take a look. The pictures looked nice, but we were not prepared for the stunning location, views, hotel, friendly staff and welcoming manager, which we found when we got there. We've stayed in a number of hotels in the Lakes and most are very nice, but there's always something that looked a bit tired or needs refurbishing. NOT in the Inn on the Lake. Superb, Superb, Superb !!! And as I've read on here before, the gardens are the gardens God would have, so beautiful ... After a chat with Gary (the hotel manager) we booked our wedding (at 5 weeks notice!). The hotel helped, advised, offered ideas, they were just brilliant. On our wedding weekend, we were welcomed by reception, made to feel that our wedding was the most important thing for the staff, which made us feel very special. In particular, Paul, in the restaurant, was amazing. he chatted, joked, welcomed, looked after us all, young and old, he is a real character. He should get a raise!! And made our stay that much more in so many ways. In fact the service was fantastic in the bar, the restaurant, reception, the manager, Tim the wedding organiser.
Take the opportunity to use the Golf course (more than a pitch and putt), the kayaks on the lake, the steamer round the lake, lots of walks to do.
To end this review I would just like to offer our heart felt thanks to Gary, Paul, Tim and the whole Team for making our wedding on 15th July 2013, absolutely memorable, emotional, comical, VERY SPECIAL! THANK YOU ... :-)) We can't wait to come back and stay again, we loved it ...

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the the 4 Poster Rooms, as we were getting married, but also had family in other lake view rooms, which were fantastic and even one of our party stayed in a single room, which was perfectly adequate. For me the views from the Lake view rooms were simply STUNNING!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Steve H
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I have just had the fortune of visiting this hotel for a family wedding.
This hotel is located in the most fantastic location boasting amazing views over lake Ulswater.The grounds are georgeous and a perfect setting in the gazebo for a fairytale wedding.The whole day from start to finish was superb.Food was great during the day and the evening reception 'Hog roast' was very tasty.Perfect end to the evening with fireworks over the lake - amazing.We stayed overnight in room 17 - I couldnt believe how lucky we were with a balcony overlooking the lake , great decor throughout this hotel.
Amazing - I will be back.

Room Tip: Room 17 is a second fllor room with a balcony overlooking the gardens and the lake.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I booked this hotel as a surprise for my partner as we were not going to have a summer holiday this year and so opted for a 'staycation'. I did not know a huge amount about the Lake District but thought it would be nice to go off the beaten track (i.e. away from Windermere). I thoroughly researched all the hotels in relevant areas and ultimately settled on The Inn on the Lake.

I was not disappointed! In fact, quite the opposite. I was blown away by the hotel and as was my partner. I had seen the photos and read the reviews so I knew somewhat what to expect, but the Hotel exceeded my expectations in every way!

We had booked for 2 nights but decided to extend our stay by one night by coming up a day earlier than planned. We sadly could not get the same room for this extra night as it was short notice and so booked a 'fell view' room instead and then we would move to the Lake View room previously booked. The Fell View room is by no means a sub standard room. It was tastefully decorated and clean throughout. The view across the car park and towards Helvellyn was nice enough, as was the side view towards the fells. The downside of this room was that you are quite close to the kitchens and a fire escape. This is not a major issue, but did mean that at around 7:30-8am there was a lot of running up and down the fire escape and noise from the kitchens. It was by no means that bad but just to bare in mind if you book this room and want a long lie-in! Also, the WiFi did not seem to reach to this room, but again, hardly an issue to be that concerned with as WiFi worked fine in public areas most of the time.

We ate in the Ramblers Bar the first night which is a great Pub! Food was Pub Grub, but was well cooked, fast service and just what we needed after a long days drive! The local ale served was also a great addition!

The second and third night we had booked Dinner, Bed and Breakfast and moved to a ;Lake View Feature Bedroom'. This was quite simply stunning! The decor was beautiful and everything from style and furniture was top notch! Then there was the view. To die for! Overlooking the lake and grounds was a delight to wake up to, as well as sit in the seating area in the bay window watching the sun go down. We enjoyed also watching the House Martins and Swifts from this seating area as they darted across the hotel grounds! The rest of the room could also not be faulted. Clean and modern bathroom with Bath and Walk-In Shower and a little kitchen area with Tea and Coffee Facilities and Free Water.

Dinner was in the main restaurant. As we had booked Dinner inclusive with the room we had the '5 Course' A la Carte menu. This is essentially 3 courses and then a Velouté appetiser and a Sorbet course. The food was beautifully presented and was mouthwatering just from reading the description and then went on to live up to the expectation. The restaurant has 2 rosettes for the food, and I can understand why! The service was also perfect, especially from Paul who was somewhat a character, but knew us by name from the second day (as did all the key staff) which was a wonderful personalized detail that makes you feel very welcome in the hotel. I should also mention Glen? The head Barman who went out of his way to create virgin cocktails for my partner all of which were fabulous!

There was a wedding each day that we were there but these did not interfere with our stay in any way, and was actually fun to watch the ceremonies and people watch from the bar / Orangery terrace.

The only, ever so minor negative, of the stay was the Phone reception (The Hotel can't do anything about this) and the WiFi. The WiFi was fairly fast for hotel speeds when it worked but at times it did seem to drop out occasionally. My basic IT knowledge managed to make it work by manually inputting an IP address as opposed to relying on automatic allocation, but others may not know how to do this. On the whole though the WiFi worked 95% of the time and when it did not, it did not ruin our stay and simply meant that my partner and I would have to talk to each other and enjoy the stunning surroundings as opposed to update our Facebook to make our friends jealous!

To Summarise: Great Value for Money, Perfect Service, Stunning Location (we even got to swim in the Lake from the Hotels own little beach!), Great Food and Amazing room! We arrived saying 'we might be back sometime', but left saying 'We Will be Back Soon!'.

We cannot wait for our next stay!

Room Tip: If you can afford the upgrade, book a Lake View Room - Room 46 was ours and it was fabulous! I understand that the Balcony rooms are smaller than the Bay Window Feature Lake View rooms. On this basis, I would say that the Feature Lake View Rooms with Bay Window instead of Balcony are possibly a better choice. The windows are Floor to Ceiling and the View equally stunning!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

I stay in hotels 100 to 150 nights per year and I've never given a perfect score - until now!

It was a last minute break on a Sunday and I wasn't expecting to be as impressed as I am. Great price for DB and B, fantastic lake view room (why stay here if you can't see the lake), beautifully appointed room and bathroom, spotlessly clean throughout.

The dinner was marvellous but if I have to be a teeny bit critical the bar service pre and post dinner was chaotic but all is forgiven because the service was throughout frankly the best I have seen for a long time.

Whatever your objectives, holiday, long weekend, business meeting I can recommend this hotel for them all.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

We were here for a week and we really enjoyed our stay. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The new Orangery is also a great addition to the hotel. The restaurants had excellent food but most importantly every single staff member was extremely helpful. Gary the Manager is a great man and he helped us sort out the 3-day extension in our stay. Thanks a lot Gary!

• Stayed: July 2013