1,907 results
All reviews ramblers bar fell view room wedding guests stunning location afternoon tea scones wedding breakfast wedding venue christmas decorations the general manager steamers feature room every member of staff fantastic hotel main restaurant standard room high standard
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

I stay in hotels 100 to 150 nights per year and I've never given a perfect score - until now!

It was a last minute break on a Sunday and I wasn't expecting to be as impressed as I am. Great price for DB and B, fantastic lake view room (why stay here if you can't see the lake), beautifully appointed room and bathroom, spotlessly clean throughout.

The dinner was marvellous but if I have to be a teeny bit critical the bar service pre and post dinner was chaotic but all is forgiven because the service was throughout frankly the best I have seen for a long time.

Whatever your objectives, holiday, long weekend, business meeting I can recommend this hotel for them all.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

We were here for a week and we really enjoyed our stay. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The new Orangery is also a great addition to the hotel. The restaurants had excellent food but most importantly every single staff member was extremely helpful. Gary the Manager is a great man and he helped us sort out the 3-day extension in our stay. Thanks a lot Gary!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Located centrally for the Lake District, on the shores of Ullswater and at the foot of Hellvellyn it could not have been better for my first visit. The style of the hotel is slightly dated with an interesting mix of pictures and photographs on the walls. However don't let this fool you, the service is attentive and could not be more helpful; the menu and wine list are extensive and the quality of food, its presentation and table service are matchless. What says it all is the recent addition of a modern Orangery; the peace of the existing sitting rooms is amplified here with a pot of tea. Excellent.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lake with a bay window or balcony have a stunning view and are large and airy.. look out for 3 for 2 deals.on dinner, bed and breakfast.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We love this place, its our favourite hotel in the Lake District. This was our 5th stay and it was a good as ever.

Our previous stay was just 2 days before Christmas 2012 and the decorations were magical, you would have expected the staff to be stressed but they were as accommodating as ever.

We upgraded to a Lake view room this time as the trip was to celebrate my Mothers 88th birthday, it was well worth the extra and she was made to feel very special.

The food as always was delightful and the service first class, nothing is too much trouble. Thank you so much we will most defiantly be back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed for two nights (Monday and Tuesday) for a short break after our wedding. The staff could not have been more helpful, nothing was too much trouble. The communal areas were modern, spacious and spotless, really couldn't fault them.

Our room was a little on the small side, we upgraded to a fell view room, which did have a nice view, but it was a little on the small side for what we paid (I looked on the floor plan and it did look like the smallest room though). The room was very warm, but a fan was provided which made it bearable. Unfortunately the towel radiator couldn't be switched off either which was annoying. The room however was comfortable, had everything we needed and would be comfortable 99.9% of the time.

The food was very good, we both really enjoyed our evening meals and breakfast. Some of the staff could do with a lesson on topping up pints when the top 1/3 is head mind, but that's easily sorted.

I'm not sure I would pay the full advertised price for the hotel, but if you can get a deal then its worth it.

We had a good, relaxing break and if we were in the area again, would certainly look at staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple