“Home from home”
Review of Inn on the Lake

Inn on the Lake
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Glenridding
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We love this place, its our favourite hotel in the Lake District. This was our 5th stay and it was a good as ever.

Our previous stay was just 2 days before Christmas 2012 and the decorations were magical, you would have expected the staff to be stressed but they were as accommodating as ever.

We upgraded to a Lake view room this time as the trip was to celebrate my Mothers 88th birthday, it was well worth the extra and she was made to feel very special.

The food as always was delightful and the service first class, nothing is too much trouble. Thank you so much we will most defiantly be back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed for two nights (Monday and Tuesday) for a short break after our wedding. The staff could not have been more helpful, nothing was too much trouble. The communal areas were modern, spacious and spotless, really couldn't fault them.

Our room was a little on the small side, we upgraded to a fell view room, which did have a nice view, but it was a little on the small side for what we paid (I looked on the floor plan and it did look like the smallest room though). The room was very warm, but a fan was provided which made it bearable. Unfortunately the towel radiator couldn't be switched off either which was annoying. The room however was comfortable, had everything we needed and would be comfortable 99.9% of the time.

The food was very good, we both really enjoyed our evening meals and breakfast. Some of the staff could do with a lesson on topping up pints when the top 1/3 is head mind, but that's easily sorted.

I'm not sure I would pay the full advertised price for the hotel, but if you can get a deal then its worth it.

We had a good, relaxing break and if we were in the area again, would certainly look at staying here again.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Travelled over to England on a short break last week. Arranged in a hurry so hoping to get accommodation on arrival. Arrived at Inn on the Lake really just for lunch in the adjoining Rambler's Inn. (This was excellent). After lunch we wandered around the grounds and fell in love with the general ambience and the views. The receptionist quoted the walk in rate and was able to sort out some extra beds so that my family group of six were accommodated in two rooms. (Lots of hotels would go for the three options to squeeze a bit more money out of you!). We stayed in Rooms 16 and 19. The views sold the rooms themselves.One problem with the lovely views from the rooms was that in the morning , which was beautifully sunny the rooms became a little warm . They were well finished and of 5 Star standard. Tina, on reception was more than helpful and was able to suggest walks in the area. Night manager (From South Africa) was happy to serve a few drinks after hours and in no way made you feel rushed. A very pleasant approach all round. The breakfast in the morning was good. Nice selection although the pancakes my wife had were a little chewy and one would think they came from a packet and heated in microwave.Sorry we were only staying for one night. One small, but important to some , problem was the poor Wi Fi service. It was difficult to get logged on and signal strength was poor and kept dropping out. If you need to do some internet checking etc maybe do it before you arrive or in the public areas downstairs were it appeared to work better but was still inconsistent.

Room Tip: We got the "walk in " rate and all rooms are the same price. I would definitely suggest a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We had a meal in the Orangery with some of my family, what a great place it was. We sat outside having a drink before we ate, where the views are stunning over the lake, you could be anywhere in the world, the sun was shining it was so relaxing. There was a wedding at the hotel as well but because the Orangery is no where near this you don't even know it is on.
The food was great, really good portions, tasty and well presented.

The staff were very helpful and attentive, I have dietary requirements and this was not a problem.

Certainly recommend everyone to go.

The Orangery has a wow factor when you walk in with the imposing light fitting and fire place.
Spacious seating all around.

Well worth a visit

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed at this hotel with a Travelzoo deal. I upgraded to a fell view room for an extra £20 as after reading Trip Advisor reviews I didn't want a view of a wall. Lovely hotel, great food, staff all very pleasant. The only drawback was the noise from staff (and others) outside the Ramblers Bar in the wee hours of Monday morning. ( I know they were staff as I saw them working on Monday morning). Several guests complained and the night porter was great in getting them to shut up, even if it did take a couple of attempts. I did mention the noise as we checked out, but the receptionist wasn't very concerned. This aside, I would stay there again but perhaps request a room away from the bar.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay. May I take this opportunity to apologise for the noise in the car park although it was dealt with promptly and lasted only a few minutes, it is not acceptable.. The incident was regrettable and I have dealt with the people concerned and have also spoken to another general manager of a local hotel who has also dealt with members of his staff involved.
Please don’t think the receptionist wasn't concerned although not involved she was embarrassed by the situation and informed me immediately I came in the door.
I am so pleased the incident didn't spoil your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to The Inn On The Lake.

Kind regards

G Wilson

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Just got back from a 2 night break at the Inn on the lake.

Just what the Doctor ordered, great hotel, we had a lake view luxury room, worth the extra great view of the lake and gardens.

Food - amazing
Staff - couldn't do enough for you - Shout out to Paul in the restaurant great character.
Room - Clean well appointed with a great view.

We traveled around the lakes and came back in the evening to relax after some long walks.
This is not a busy hotel its really relaxed and laid back.

Would go again and recommend to my friends.

Room Tip: Room 16 was great with a big picture window and great views.
1  Thank Johnmilli
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed here recently for a couple of nights as part of a wedding party.

Whilst the hotel itself could not be faulted in terms of its location (beautiful) and the staff, my wife and I felt a little aggrieved that we were charged c£150 per night for the room (non-lake facing).

I appreciate and can understand paying a premium for it being the Lake District and it is a beautiful location. However, I understand that the hotel has recently been upgraded to 4 stars and whilst there was nothing ‘wrong’ as such with the hotel room as it was clean, we certainly didn't have one of the nicer, more modern rooms as displayed on the hotel’s website which are more befitting of a 4 star status. The room allocated to us had dated carpets and curtains (garish pink!), old fixtures in the bathroom etc - something akin to the type of decor your could expect to find in a typical, dated 3 star hotel. Aside from the TV, there certainly wasn't anything in the room or bathroom that looked to have been under 10 years old.

Again, this isn't a major gripe as the rest of the hotel and the staff were great, but maybe advisable to check what room type you're likely to get before spending £150 on it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Buzz78
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Dear Mr Buzz 78
Thank you for your review and I'm so pleased you thought the hotel and staff and service were wonderful.
As regards your room you paid £75 per person bed and breakfast for a fell view room. I find it hard to understand why you would expect a lake view. The option of booking a lake view was open to you but you decided to pay a little less and have a fell view.
The room was refurbished 4 years ago and although the décor was not to your taste the standard is certainly in line with our rating. Style of room is always subject to opinion and I'm sorry you didn't like the scheme. I can assure you it’s not 10 years old.
But again I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind regards
Gary Wilson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenridding
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Storrs Hall
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to Inn on the Lake? Share your experiences!