We stayed here last year in a lake view balcony room (see my review sept 2012 "luxury on the lake") For my birthday this year my husband brought me back again and we booked one of the luxury four poster suites with a stunning lake view.
The room had very recently undergone a massive refurbishment with new bathroom and completely modern but luxurious décor. If you love space then this room is for you. These are the rooms used as bridal suites but we though we deserved the luxury just for us! There are four rooms of this type although the hotel will be adding more as there are a lot of new things happening here! There is a beautiful new orangery which will be open in the next week or so and a further 32 bedrooms are planned.
We were staying for three nights this time. The breakfasts were lovely as always and the staff are very highly trained so everything seems to run like clockwork which makes for a relaxing time.
The dinner menus were varied and there was a choice for us of a la carte or table d'hote and we could mix and match as desired. During our stay we were able to hire a motor boat to cruise on Ullswater which is at the bottom of the grounds. The weather was excellent for two days and the garden and grounds were just so pretty to walk around and we sat on the seats by the waters edge and soaked up the tranquillity.
This is a four star hotel but should be higher in my opinion. All the staff are polite, friendly and helpful not to mention very efficient! It is a very relaxing place because of the décor, quiet music and plush furnishings. The lounges and bar area are spotless with views stretching to the place mountain opposite and over the lake.
We were fortunate when we stayed that there was not a function or wedding so it was nice and quiet. this is an extremely popular wedding venue so it may be policy to ring and check what is happening on the week you want to stay! Dogs are welcome here too.
The housekeeping staff do a wonderful job and the rooms are spotlessly clean and so are the public areas and the grounds are kept to a very high standard also. It is expensive but oh so worth it! well behaved children are welcome as well. Check with the hotel about ages and if you have any dietary needs you can discuss with reception. We have already booked a return visit for later this year. The only slight gripe was that there is no where near enough wardrobe space for two people in the four poster suite and I gather this is the case in most rooms. However, everything else is simply wonderful. we did not want to leave.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Inn on the Lake Hotel ia a 4 star hotel that enjoys one of the most spectacular settings in the Lake District in 15 acres of grounds with lawns sweeping to the shores of Lake Ullswater. The Inn on the Lake is only 12 miles from the M6 motorway and the drive is very dramatic with the road curving around the Lake and the backdrop scenery of the fells. There are 47 en-suite bedrooms, all thoughtfully designed with most rooms having breathtaking views, some looking towards the magnificent Helvellyn mountain range, while the majority look over the ever changing Ullswater. Each room is fully equipped with everything you come to expect in this quality 4 star hotel. For that special occasion upgrade to a superior room or one of the very popular, stunning four-poster bedrooms. From the moment you walk into reception you will find an interior that compliments this fabulous setting. This leads through to the popular Lounge Bar where a warm welcome awaits with large bay windows overlooking the well landscaped gardens, which lead to the hotels jetties on Ullswater. Enjoy a drink any time of the day, a light lunch or afternoon tea in the Lounge or on our Lakeside terrace. The award-winning 2 AA Rosette Lake View Restaurant provides something for all tastes, or for less formal dining The Ramblers Bar, situated within the hotel’s grounds, offers the option to enjoy a pint of real ale. The hotel also has its own outdoor activities including pitch & putt, croquet and children's outdoor play area. Gary and his team at The Inn on the Lake Hotel look forward to welcoming you soon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Agoda and LateRooms so you can book your Inn on the Lake reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Inn On The Lake Hotel Glenridding
- Inn On The Lake Ullswater
- Inn On The Lake Glenridding, England