“Yet to be beaten, my favourite YHA”
Review of YHA Helvellyn

YHA Helvellyn
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I love this hostel, its small welcoming and I get on great with most of the staff, its relative isolation a good mile outside of Glenridding means you tend to spend at least one night of your stay in their licensed café, bar.

For walkers the location is excellent, from the front gate you literally step out onto the fells. The food is great, cooked breakfasts, packed lunches and evening meals all very affordable and tasty, even if the presentation isn't always Michelin star, I urge you to tuck in, your taste buds will always be happy.

There are also a self-catering kitchen, and staff are quite happy to help you out with small quantities of essentials like milk, bread and cooking oil for a few pence if you forgot anything at the supermarket. Hostel is family friendly and you really want for nothing whilst you are there, with the exception of an electric plug socket in the male dorms.

My one gripe and the only reason I haven't given a 5 star rating is my treatment by one member of staff when my raincoat was accidentally taken (though later returned) by another hostel user. Her attitude stinks, I forget her name, but she's the young blonde girl with shorter hair (not Kunga [sorry if I mispelt] the duty manager, she's great.) This girl is always too quick to tell you what she can't do. Unhelpful, ignorant and frankly I almost considered leaving because of her, it was left to Mark and Kunga to put a smile back on my face.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Robin_Whitwham, Manager at YHA Helvellyn, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

A great review spoiled by a grossly unfair personal attack on one of my staff.

As you said, the taking of your coat by another guests was a mistake. That guest's coat was on the radiator, you later removed the coat and put yours in it's place and when that said customer went to collect the coat for his wife, having been told it's location, took yours instead.

So far my staff were blameless in this. It was mearly unfortunate.

Upon informing my staff member she proceeded to phone everyone who stayed that night in the hope that she'd be able to get through to some of the guests to ask if they had taken the coat. She also personally searched the building.

What more could she have done? Your reaction was extremely unreasonable. Even if she was able to identify who had taken it and known their route they would have been half-way up Helvellyn by this point.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

our experience: my two kids (12 and nearly 10) arrived at midnight on a Saturday evening after a long journey (flight over from Germany and drive up from Manchester Airport). Quite simply: everything worked perfectly, we could rely on the help, advice and organisation we were given by the team on duty (Annette and Mark), who get absolutely top marks for competence, flexibility and straightforward friendliness. A genuine pleasure; we will happily go back (even if our room was not in the first flush of youth any longer ;-)) and on the strength of this experience we have become YHA members.
PS the hostel's photo exhibition on the Greenside mine and its economic, industrial and historic significance was quite fascinating. Thank you!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Mark and Annette have been top-class this year and they were delighted to read your praise for them. It's always nice to read a review where the guests have such a wonderfil time!

We've got some new items for the mining exhibition, including genuine artifacts from Greenside Mine, so should you pass this way again please take a look!

Reviewed October 14, 2012

If you're planning a walk up Helvellyn, this is a good base of operations. The location is great and the staff are friendly and helpful. I would rate this stay as average as there were just a few little bits that could be improved such as more consistent service at breakfast. (Had fantastic service the second day but had to wait a while to order the first morning.)
Overall though, this is budget, hostel accommodation and fits the bill for that quite well.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

I am very pleased that you found your stay to your satisfaction. We're well-known for our friendly staff and providing good, clean facilities.

I'm hoping that the slow service at breakfast on your first morning was a one-off and perhaps had extenuating circumstances. You mentioned other areas of imporvement that could be made - feel free to e-mail or phone us to discuss what you found lacking and I'll do everything in my power to see that something is done about it.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Breakfast and evening meals were good. Packed lunch was not worth the money, an orange in a packed lunch for the hills?
All other facilities were good and the location is ideal for Helvellyn.
I have stayed at the YH in Patterdale and their bedrooms and beds are much better and for the same price. The beds in the YH in Helvellyn could do with upgrading so that at the least one can sit at the edge of the bed and get dressed.
I would recommend taking your own tea, coffee, sugar and milk as the price for a brew is astronomical and take your own food for packed lunches.
Staff were helpful although I think it would be useful for them to show some presence in the evening as there was a large group of unruly teenagers on the Saturday night who were still up and creating a commotion at 11.45pm which did not go well with those customers who wanted to get some sleep. Although this lack of control can also be blamed on the so called group leaders.
There is no television reception or O2 mobile phone signal at the hostel.
One suggestion for the YH is to have a message board for customers.

Room Tip: If you can get one at the rear of the building.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

I'm pleased that you enjoyed our food and facilities as well as the helpfulness of our staff.

Not so happy that your sleep was disturbed by noisy teenagers though! Although the staff finish work at 11pm we do have an emergency bell by reception - this can be used to summon the staff should there be a genuine emergency or trouble from other guests and we will be happy to deal with the situation.

Oranges are not the only fruit that we possess - on request we're happy to subsitute it for an apple, pear or banana. The TV will be fixed soon (problem with the FreeSat dish). Nothing I can do about the lack of O2 signal except to advise people that if they need to stay in touch with the outside world then they should purchase a Vodafone sim card.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Fantastic! Beautiful place in a gorgeous setting. Great atmosphere with friendly, helpful staff. Nice food and drink in a funky little restaurant and bar, comfy rooms, happy common room, good self catering kitchen, useful drying room, great pub down the road. Turn left out of the door and you're on the slopes of Helvellyn. What more could anyone want? My teenagers and I were all smiles and will be back one day :).

Room Tip: I'm sure all the rooms are good and fit for purpose.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Pete C
Robin_Whitwham, Manager at YHA Helvellyn, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Thank you very much for the great review! We're constantly improving the place so please come back next year and see what we have done to our lovely hostel.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Comfortable, good breakfast options and nice, friendly staff. Beautiful location, breathtaking views. I stayed with a large group and they were very accommodating. The kitchen facilities are great and there are many pots and pans to be used.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

It's always good to hear that we've provided a good service to our customers. Great news is that we're going to make some major improvements to the self-catering kitchen this winter so, should you hopefully come back and see us again, your stay will be that much better.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I stayed here for one night whilst walking in the lake district and although I had not booked and just turned up at 5pm they had a bed for the night and sorted everything out for me very efficiently
including an evening meal, breakfast and a packed lunch.

the staff were cheerful, friendly and very helpful and even booked the next nights accommodation at the next hostel for me.

the food was good and cheap as they had a special summer menu.

the view from the area outside the common room is amazing looking up to the mountains one way or down to the valley the other way with a stream running by.

this place is reached by a track (not what I would call a road) which leads from the village to the hostel and you can park very close by.

great place to stay for walking helvellyn and other mountains near by and when I stayed it was very quiet and peaceful.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Thanks for you kind words! Here at Helvellyn YHA we pride ourselves on providing a warm welcome and hearty meal for those who wish to partake of our good-value food. We hope to see you again in the not so distant future.