“Location, location, location .....”

Best Western Glenridding Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Glenridding
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Location, location, location .....”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Myself, my husband and my daughter stayed at this hotel in August 2012. I had read most of the reviews both good and bad and decided to book as it was right next to the lake where my husband was doing a triathlon and I thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt. Suffice to say that my experience is too long with too much detail to write about so I apologise for that to any readers HOWEVER I would say the following, the hotel is lovely, the view is amazing and the staff and food are top notch EXCEPT that if your booking doesn't quite go to plan which ours didn't then don't expect that you'll be treated in a dignified fashion. Whilst efforts were made to right our issues which did indeed make our stay much more comfortable the 'attitude' from the GM was certainly exactly as described in the other reviews you read on this page and frankly as it transpires that she is the owners daughter this pretty much explains it all. As I learnt to my peril with Best Western when you book with them always ring the hotel direct to pass on any special requests or information as the communication channel doesn't work or at least it didn't in our case. There is a common theme amongst the poor reviews on this hotel, that in itself speaks volumes, venture to this hotel with no expectations and with any luck you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Always ring the hotel and ask for a lake view and a quiet room as there are several rooms that are d...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank trixibelle1970

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Scunthorpe, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2012

The Best Western Glenridding is a good relaxing hotel, our room was really comfortable with an excellent view of Ullswater lake. The food was excellent with a good choice both for breakfast and the evening meal. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend it and hope to return next year.

Room Tip: Cannot comment on Fitness Centre or Spa as we didn't use them.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
halifax
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights ,24/25 August 2012. We found the hotel was very nice and in a great location next to lake Ullswater.It was very convenient for the steamer.Ours was a superior double room and was ok, very quiet overlooking the river. The hotel has a swimming pool ,jaccuzi,sauna and a nice quiet library. The lounges and reception areas are nice and comfortable.The only thing we did not like was the fact that they seem to let non residents into The Rafters bar,Whilst we were there a stag party arrived and the majority were drunk, needless to say the police were called and this spoiled our stay somewhat

Room Tip: superior rooms are fine ,very quiet , it was called The Rattlebeck
1 Thank crooky50
West Midlands
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed at the Glenridding from 24th-27th August 2012 to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary, lovely hotel, stunning views and excellent facilities. Room was adequate, towels really nice (BIG!!) Good choice for food with 2 Restaurants and the bar. Ullswater lake is a short walk away with the Steamers available for trips and also various different walks around the lake.
Would throughly recommend this hotel for a break in the Lake District. We had a lovely long weekend and would return.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel looks out over the lake.
2 Thank eeyore30westmidlands
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights at this hotel and loved it. It is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in and the setting is stunning. It is ideally situated to explore Ullswater. The steamers are only a short walk away and the information centre is also very near. Keswick is close too- about 40 minutes drive away.
Our room was on the second floor and had beautiful views of the lake. The bedroom was spacious, clean,tastefully decorated and the en suite was also a good size,very clean and finished to a high standard. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was outstanding in the restaurant, bar and the coffee shop. The restaurant/bar staff were all excellent -very hard working, polite and helpful and nothing was too much trouble.
The pool and sauna area was not large but clean and pleasant.
We found it to be a very well cared for hotel with high standards and we hope to return in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have stunning views of the lake.
2 Thank Lesley G
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We are just back from a weekend in the Lakes where we attended a family wedding; the Inn on the lake was full so we stayed as close as possible in the Best Western. When we got to check in we were informed that a credit card would need to be swiped before we could check-in, I had left my wallet in the card and asked if I could pop back shortly as I needed to put the parking voucher they had just given me in the car shortly anyway. I was told no I need to give them a credit card before they can give me the room key, (any other good hotel would be fine with this) I got the wallet and passed reception a debit card, they looked at me funny and told me a credit card would be best, as the payment could be taken twice on my debit card, never heard this before and this has never happened to me before either. Anyway I handed them a credit card and checked-in.
My wife had booked the hotel so when we had checked in with the rest of our family and entered our separate rooms, I asked the wife how much the one night stay was going to cost us, the small box room that you had to squeeze past the bed to get to the dressing table/windows was going to cost us £130, there was no iron/ironing board, one towel, no bath robes, a pubic hair in the bath, rock solid pillows, thin walls, a view of the main road and a wall. We went back to reception and asked if we were in the correct room, as having been to 3 other weddings in the last 2 months and travelling a lot with work (75-125+ nights in hotels a year), this is not a room I would expect to be paying £130 for. We were rudely told that the room was a standard double and that is the price that it is at this time of year. (No wonder a credit card was needed before check-in, I would have left at this point if the hotel didn't have any of my money).
In the morning at check-out we had another rude lady (Liz, I think), who didn't have the most basic of customer service skills and didn't ask how our stay had been or if there were any issues, a standard question usually asked at check-out. This was annoying to say the least after our stay so I decided to see if the hotel could reamed it's self in anyway by offering any discount or anything, I again asked "Can I just check we have the correct bill, as the price seems very high for the small room we stayed in", yet again we were given the same "This is a standard double room and that is the price you pay at this time of year". The amount was entered into the chip and pin machine and the PIN was requested. I think they are used to this question at check-out. We had 5 rooms between immediate family in the hotel and 3 were the standard doubles at £130p/n (rooms 46, 44 and 43) all these members of our family had raised questions with reception about the cost of the rooms and non were offered anything other than the same one liner.
One of the other rooms we had was room 11 on the 2nd floor, this room was an upgraded room it was around 2.5 times bigger than the one we were in and had a nice view over the hills and river to the rear of the hotel. This room was priced at around £160-170 and was a lot better value for money although still a little pricey if anything.
I felt robbed at check-out and would never go back to this or any other Best Western hotel again, which is a shame as we stayed at a different Best Western 2 weeks previously and spent £75 on a good sized room with friendly staff. I would recommend that people stay well clear.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel or ask for room 11 if you want to spend £160-170p/n in a large room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Daron P
liz0103, Manager at Best Western Glenridding Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I understand you attended a wedding at the Inn on the Lake. As you are entitled to your review I would like to take this opportunity to respond as I felt your review is unjust and not entirely fair.

Firstly, Pre-authorisation of Credit Cards – we do require a pre-authorisation of a credit card on check-in. This is a standard policy of hotels across the world not only the Best Western Glenridding Hotel. We did in the past allow guests the grace of presenting their cards after they checked in however, this was abused by a number of guests who either did not return and their cards that were used to make the booking were invalid or declined so I’m sure you can appreciate the reason for this.

We do not pre-authorise debit cards. This is for peace of mind to guests. Some banks will allow us to pre-authorise a debit card and they take the funds into a holding account. On completion (checkout) when the transaction is completed, the guest’s bank will take the completed amount again, whilst the pre-auth amount is sitting in their holding account and takes anything from 10 to 14 days to be released back to the guest, hence why we will not pre-auth debt cards. It’s to safeguard our guests funds this has never been an issue when explained to guests checking in.

You make reference to room 43 being small room. Room 43 boast a Super King-size bed if a room is small a bed of that size would not be able to fit into it, I’m sure you would agree. You indeed booked your rooms through booking.com at a rate of £130.00 per night; if you booked through either ourselves or Best Western a number of offers would have been available to you. For example Advanced Purchase this is a 10% discount on a best available rate, the rate would be none transferable but I’m sure you would have benefited from this offer with your reason for being in the area.

Each room comes with 2 sets of towels the first set is located in the bathroom, if you had opened your wardrobe you would have located your second set of towels, or if in doubt contacted reception who would have been more than happy to assist you.

We are a very well established 3 star hotel and if you required an ironing board this could be achieved by contacting reception this is clearly documented in our guest directory. As for bathrobes I’m afraid you booked a standard double had you booked a Superior like the friends you mentioned you would have benefited from these little luxuries, I’m sure you would agree no hotel’s standard double rooms come with bathrobes.

I’m quite offended that you had found a pubic hair in the bath and never once brought it to the attention of the staff on duty at the time you were at the hotel, we pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms which is commented on not only on Trip Adviser but the many cards we receive after guests have stayed.

You also make reference to a rude lady ‘Liz I Think’ I’m the only Elizabeth in the hotel and I can honestly say that I never checked you out. I assume you ascertained my name from previous trip advisor responses and not from the name badge of the individual.

You make reference to the location of your room overlooking a wall there are no walls obstructing our views, in fact we have been nominated Best Westerns ‘Best Views from an Hotel Room’ recently and awaiting the results.

It’s quite clear that you attended a wedding at a nearby hotel and you never used any of our facilities in the hotel apart from your room. If you had, you would have realized that the rate would have been reasonable with location, swimming pool, library, snooker table, coffee shop, two restaurants, two bars serving real ale and the best pizzas in the area. You have made reference to other hotel prices in completely different locations, therefore it is impossible to make a comparison.

I would have to agree with you regarding your last line, if you are attending a nearby wedding its clear to see from reviews of guests from weddings compared to guests who come for leisure or business. If you’re a wedding guest and don’t intend on using the hotel, its facilities and meet our welcoming staff who are recognised for their excellent customer services skills, then this hotel would not be the hotel for you. Nearby Bed and Breakfasts who are slightly cheaper at approx £90 would be more beneficial to a one night wedding guest.

Once again, thank you for your review and I apologise this hotel was not the hotel for you on this occasion.

Regards
Elizabeth
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We were attending a wedding at the nearby.
We had a twin room which is need of some tlc.
restaurant was lovely and good service.
pool is small but just my mum and I used it so I was quite nice.
Lounge areas were nice too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bobandmand
liz0103, General Manager at Best Western Glenridding Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I'm delighted you had a wonderful time and we hope to welcome you to the hotel again soon.

Thank you once again and I will pass on your comments to my team.

Kind Regards

Elizabeth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenridding
Inn on the Lake
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Lodore Falls Hotel
Lodore Falls Hotel
#5 of 5 in Borrowdale

Been to Best Western Glenridding Hotel? Share your experiences!