“Cosy comfortable Cumbrian cottage.”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of The Old Smithy

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Beresford...
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Cosy comfortable Cumbrian cottage.”
Reviewed February 23, 2018 for a stay in February 2018

The Old Smithy is a wonderful well equipped, spacious ground floor cottage.
There are thoughtful touches such as 'doggy towels and blankets' that reflect the fact that the owner is local and understands the needs of fell walkers and their companions.
Lovely to have hot water without having to wait for it to heat up and a good Wifi connection.

Date of stay: February 2018
Feb 25, 2018
So glad you like the cottage. See you at new year! Sarah
StanleyPa...
“Bliss, and what a view.”
Reviewed November 15, 2017 for a stay in November 2017

Within walking distance of both Patterdale and Glenridding, you are within easy reach of the fabulous Ullswater and many walks of varying demands. The cottage is very well equipped with everything you need for a relaxing comfortable stay. We arrived in the dark so were not aware of the breath taking view that greeted us in the morning, and what a view. Ideal for those with dogs who will have a ball in this lovely peaceful cottage. The only thing wrong with our stay was that it wasn't long enough, would love to go back. Thank you for a lovely weekend.

Date of stay: November 2017
Nov 17, 2017
So glad you enjoyed your weekend so much. Hope to see you again some time. Sarah
Shaun C
Kent, United Kingdom
“Glorious dog friendly cottage”
Reviewed October 30, 2017 for a stay in October 2017

We felt instantly at home in this clean, spacious cottage with stunning views. The cottage was well equipped with everything you could need. Ideal for us with our two daughters and dog. The girls loved playing the piano - hopefully they didn't bother the neighbours! Easy walk into the village for shops and places to eat out. Would love to return.

Date of stay: October 2017
Nov 12, 2017
So glad you enjoyed the cottage. I look forward to seeing you again. Sarah
Sarah M
“Fabulous cottage, great location, amazing views”
Reviewed September 3, 2017 for a stay in August 2017
person found this review helpful

My family and I stayed for 6 nights from 19/8. Me, my husband, my 3 girls aged 14, 12 and 7 and our dog. It was our first holiday with our dog and couldn't have been more delighted. The cottage was warm, cosy, clean and comfortable. The kitchen was well equipped. The front room was relaxing and the added bonus of a wood Burner which was delightful (will need to visit in the winter!) the bedrooms were well furnished and the beds comfy. It was dog friendly to the extent of the owner providing gates at the kitchen, dog throws for the beds and furniture and even a dog feet washing bowl and towels. Brilliant! There was plenty to do from the doorstep and so enjoyed not having to use the car! (Another bonus!) thank you so much, we will definately be back!!

Date of stay: August 2017
Sep 4, 2017
Glad you enjoyed it so much! I look forward to welcoming you back soon
adeleappt...
Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
“Accommodation is poor but the customer service to discuss a complaint is horrendous- Avoid!”
Reviewed August 31, 2017 for a stay in August 2017
people found this review helpful

We booked a stay for our family, my parents being both disabled thought this property would be ideal. It's was booked from 28th august 2017 for 5 nights.

When we entered the property, the smell was awful- it was a foist smell. The owner Sarah has informed me that the smell is the oil burner. An oil burner does not have that odour.

The beds and sofa have reached the end of their lives, they were all so uncomfortable, even my 6 year old daughter couldn't sleep well.

We only spent 1 night there due to the extent of the problem with the comfort. We were not greeted by anyone, simply advised via email to use the key safe. I was also told that there was no signal which I can understand in the beautiful surroundings.

How was I meant to contact Sarah Moseley, with no telephone signal!!??

Sarah offered a refund but has now since revoked her offer. I have emailed and rang her but she is ignoring everything but able to take my review down on Facebook which is a true reflection of 5 people.

The flat would be lovely however a full upgrade is needed, Sarah said in her email that the beds and sofa did need replaced which I have a copy of.

1 nights stay was enough however I have encounted an awful situation to
Be in re customer service now! I hope Sarah doesn't remove this post !

Date of stay: August 2017
Aug 31, 2017
I am very sorry you are so unhappy. I have had nothing but good comments so far, the people who left the week before you specifically commented about how comfortable the cottage is. I am therefore at a loss to understand what you found so uncomfortable. The only smell is a slight oil smell from the boiler. Some of the furniture is due to be changed this winter but by no means so bad as you imply. The cottage was re-carpeted and re-painted last February. You gave me no chance to put right your complaints, you simply left and wrote a bad review on Facebook. When I went to investigate the cottage, I felt your complaints were unjustified and emailed you to explain that in those circumstances I cannot offer a refund.
Keegandav...
“The old Smithy”
Reviewed April 11, 2017 for a stay in April 2017
person found this review helpful

A fantastic cottage to explore from. Once the car is parked there is hardly any need to use it again for the duration of your stay.
There are lots of great walks on your doorstep and the village of Glenridding is a 10 minute stroll if you need a pint of milk.
The enclosed garden was ideal for our dog and for sitting out with a G&T with great views of lake Ulswater and surrounding mountains.
Hoping to visit again later on in the year.

Date of stay: April 2017
Apr 12, 2017
Thanks for this, glad you had a good time.
Look forward to seeing you again sometime. Sarah
Wirral, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2016 for a stay in December 2016

Date of stay: December 2016
Jan 1, 2017
So glad you enjoyed it Lee. Look forward to welcoming you again
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing