“Fabulous cottage, great location, amazing views”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of The Old Smithy

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Very good - based on 11 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Sarah M
“Fabulous cottage, great location, amazing views”
Reviewed September 3, 2017 for a stay in August 2017
person found this review helpful

My family and I stayed for 6 nights from 19/8. Me, my husband, my 3 girls aged 14, 12 and 7 and our dog. It was our first holiday with our dog and couldn't have been more delighted. The cottage was warm, cosy, clean and comfortable. The kitchen was well equipped. The front room was relaxing and the added bonus of a wood Burner which was delightful (will need to visit in the winter!) the bedrooms were well furnished and the beds comfy. It was dog friendly to the extent of the owner providing gates at the kitchen, dog throws for the beds and furniture and even a dog feet washing bowl and towels. Brilliant! There was plenty to do from the doorstep and so enjoyed not having to use the car! (Another bonus!) thank you so much, we will definately be back!!

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Sep 4, 2017
Glad you enjoyed it so much! I look forward to welcoming you back soon
adeleappt...
Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
“Accommodation is poor but the customer service to discuss a complaint is horrendous- Avoid!”
Reviewed August 31, 2017 for a stay in August 2017
people found this review helpful

We booked a stay for our family, my parents being both disabled thought this property would be ideal. It's was booked from 28th august 2017 for 5 nights.

When we entered the property, the smell was awful- it was a foist smell. The owner Sarah has informed me that the smell is the oil burner. An oil burner does not have that odour.

The beds and sofa have reached the end of their lives, they were all so uncomfortable, even my 6 year old daughter couldn't sleep well.

We only spent 1 night there due to the extent of the problem with the comfort. We were not greeted by anyone, simply advised via email to use the key safe. I was also told that there was no signal which I can understand in the beautiful surroundings.

How was I meant to contact Sarah Moseley, with no telephone signal!!??

Sarah offered a refund but has now since revoked her offer. I have emailed and rang her but she is ignoring everything but able to take my review down on Facebook which is a true reflection of 5 people.

The flat would be lovely however a full upgrade is needed, Sarah said in her email that the beds and sofa did need replaced which I have a copy of.

1 nights stay was enough however I have encounted an awful situation to
Be in re customer service now! I hope Sarah doesn't remove this post !

Aug 31, 2017
I am very sorry you are so unhappy. I have had nothing but good comments so far, the people who left the week before you specifically commented about how comfortable the cottage is. I am therefore at a loss to understand what you found so uncomfortable. The only smell is a slight oil smell from the boiler. Some of the furniture is due to be changed this winter but by no means so bad as you imply. The cottage was re-carpeted and re-painted last February. You gave me no chance to put right your complaints, you simply left and wrote a bad review on Facebook. When I went to investigate the cottage, I felt your complaints were unjustified and emailed you to explain that in those circumstances I cannot offer a refund.
Keegandav...
“The old Smithy”
Reviewed April 11, 2017 for a stay in April 2017
person found this review helpful

A fantastic cottage to explore from. Once the car is parked there is hardly any need to use it again for the duration of your stay.
There are lots of great walks on your doorstep and the village of Glenridding is a 10 minute stroll if you need a pint of milk.
The enclosed garden was ideal for our dog and for sitting out with a G&T with great views of lake Ulswater and surrounding mountains.
Hoping to visit again later on in the year.

Apr 12, 2017
Thanks for this, glad you had a good time.
Look forward to seeing you again sometime. Sarah
Wirral, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2016 for a stay in December 2016

Jan 1, 2017
So glad you enjoyed it Lee. Look forward to welcoming you again
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing