“Fantastic food, off the tourist trail”

Bodegon Plaza - Casa Juan
Ranked #23 of 49 Restaurants in Garachico
Cuisines: Spanish
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We visited Garachico and were drawn to Casa Juan for a late lunch by the signs advertising authentic local food. The restaurant is away from the tourist trail, down a side street, and at first glance may not seem the most promising place. However, we loved the authentic menu and shared a few tapas dishes - including the grilled limpets, goat and rabbit (fabulous), with bread to soak up the fantastic (and unhealthy) gravy. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the limpets, but it was good to try this as a local Canarian dish. The goat and rabbit were amazing - melt in the mouth and so tasty. Atmosphere is great - it's like an old café, no sign of any neon or glitz that seems to be the norm in most of Tenerife.
Worth seeking out of you make the journey to this lovely old town.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Went here Sunday lunchtime . Usually eating away from the tourist seafront restaurants is the better choice ,what a mistake!
First there's no doubt it is cheap,and it was full of locals which looked a good sign .
We ordered the Canarian soup ,Rabbit and fillet of fish ,canarian potatoes a half litre of house white and a bottle of water.
The soup was okay ,pasta and chickpeas,but the surprising thing was they brought the potatoes ,cold with some type of cake with the soup.
They also brought crusty bread which was stale and rock hard.
The rabbit was on a small side plate ,mostly bones and with nothing else.
My fish was in a watery ,salty sauce and had quite a few bones.
Can't complain about the service ,they were very attentive and the whole bill was 22euros but we both felt a real waste of money.

1  Thank LA.CO.ANTRIM
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Mussels with Mojo - perhaps the best Mussels I have ever had
Stewed Pork Ribs - like my grandmother used to make; incredible
Papas arrugadas and Mojo - perfect, really great mojos

Price excellent, good ambience, highly recommended

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stumbled upon this restaurant on New Year's Day as we couldn't get a table in a nearby Pizzeria and we were not disappointed. It was packed full of people (mainly Spanish I think) and it seemed to have taken a while to get served though we were impatient with hunger! My husband and I ordered steak, chips and side salad and for €6 we didn't expect much......we were delivered a mouth watering feast which I couldn't finish and besides I had to make room for the Tiramisu! Total bill for two steaks, chips, salad, one coke, one water, two yummy Tiramisu and two coffees €24.50. If ever in Garachichico again, I will go back. Great Value for money.

Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

On the spur of the moment we decided that we would eat at Bodegon as we walked around the square. We were not disappointed with our order. Clams (lapas), sardines, cherne fillet (grouper), conejo (rabbit) and 2 beers and a bottle of water cost a princely sum of €25.00. Service was quick and the unpretentious food was tasty. It was worth the drive from Las Americas after negotiating numerous hairpin bends and steep climbs and descents.