“Interesting menu choices - good value”
Review of El Lagar de Julio - CLOSED

El Lagar de Julio
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Oldham, United Kingdom
“Interesting menu choices - good value”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Intimate setting with only 6 tables inside. Nice atmosphere and definitely recommend booking as people were waiting outside when we left...on a Saturday night.
I enjoyed the banana croquettes in tomato jam and the main of turkey breast with spinach and apricot. My husband ordered the scrambled eggs with prawn and advocado as a starter and the portion was very large...larger than his main of scallops. Dessert of white chocolate mousse with strawberries was soon finished off! Would definitely return.

• Visited March 2013

england
“Booking recommended”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is a very small restaurant. Service was not as efficient as we would have expected with so few tables. Food was good and freshly cooked.

Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Outlandishly incompatible ingredients that result in culinary catastrope”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Like the crushingly cringeworthy contestant on Masterchef that combines ingredients that have no place sharing the same plate, this restaurant may consider itself experimental but for me, there is a reason I was not born a guinea pig and it is to avoid experiences such as this. After arriving at 7.30pm we were informed that they had run out of banana croquettes (on an island whose major exports includes bananas) and there were no scallops - an immediate disappointment given these we're my 2 dishes of choice. I opted for the mushroom risotto with cheese followed by foie gras on a bed of vegetables and caramelised onions. What a hideous mistake that turned out to be - the risotto was doused in salt to an in edible degree, devoid of any mushrooms, then fried into a stodgy kind of tortilla before being smothered in lumpy cheese sauce with a bit more salt for good measure and speared with a cheese wafer. Having been unable to even manage a polite amount of this, my husband and I hoped for an improvement with the main course. Our waitress cleared our plates and offered us deserts or coffee and I almost wish that we hadn't reminded her that we had only got as far as starters. My husband had ordered another risotto for main course which, in stark contrast to my starter, had never seen any seasoning at all. My foie gras sat upon a bed of raw crudités and was smothered in what seemed to me to be the best part of a jar of red onion marmalade so sugary it could have been labelled type 2 diabetes in a pot. The foie gras itself was cooked in some areas and so raw in others, it was still as chilled as the fridge from where it came. Needless to say, we dared not risk desert or otherwise and would strongly recommend you give this place a wide berth and stick to the many other restaurants in town that serve fresh fish served simply that let the ingredients do the talking rather than the chef's ego.

• Visited February 2013
Warrington England
“Experience the experimental!”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is a very small restaurant which prides itself on unusual but very tasty combinations; the banana croquettas being an excellent example. Although some may find the portions smaller than the usual Tenerifean fare involving lots of Canarian potatoes, a three course meal finished us off good style!! The sweets were as divine as the rest of the meal.

Visited January 2013
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
“A cosy & intimate restaurant”
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

The menu certainly was different from any others in Garachico. The combinations of food are exciting to the palate. The service was excellent. The restaurant is small and intimate with a lovely atmosphere. I would recommend eating here to anybody.