“Beautiful hotel forget the service”
Review of Ca'n Isabel

Ca'n Isabel
Ranked #30 of 37 Hotels in Soller
Stuttgart
“Beautiful hotel forget the service”
Reviewed June 2, 2010

In March 2010 we stayed one week at C'an Isabel. Sollér, where the hotel is situated is one of the nicest villages in the north-west of the island. From there it was easy to go hiking but just as easy to drive to Palma de Mallorca the main town (approx. 20 minutes through the tunnel by car depending on traffic). The hotel itself is very very beautiful & well kept. All rooms (in total 5) have a completely different but very comfy look. We had the room with the tub IN the room on the top floor. Don't worry you have a full separate bathroom with a shower. It also has a small but very nice garden if you want to sit outside. If you want to enter the internet you have to bring your own notebook and make sure you ask for the free wireless access. I only found out the last day, the code is written on the phone in your room. A lady who does not speak English takes care of breakfast (which after 7 days the same every morning got quite tiring) check-in & -out etc. Communication is rather difficult. I found it quite unusual that one never got to see the "real" hosts, but that is just my impression. Other than that, the hotel has a perfect location as it is in the middle of Sollér without being noisy. Parking is a bit of a problem, but we always found a spot nearby.
Accommodation here is not cheap but the beauty and location of the hotel was worth it. It is a very unusual hotel and you need to be a little fit to climb the steep stairs to your room (but its only two storeys).

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Cotswolds
Reviewed November 15, 2008

My girlfriend andI have recently returned from 5 nights at C'an Isabel. We had booked the Blue Room (123 euros per night) online although other more expensive rooms were available. On the first morning, we were approached by the spanish-only speaking chamber maid and via sign language asked if the noise of the footsteps of the couple in the room above ours had disturbed us. We had been aware of the footsteps but had not been unduly bothered by them. The maid then invited us to look at three empty rooms and we decided to move to the front, Red Room. We had assumed that we were being 'upgraded' but instead we were told that this would be 20 euros a night more.We offered to pay 10 euros and after the maid had conferred with the owner this was accepted. Bearing in mind the time of year(Oct/Nov) and that for our last three nights we were the only guests in the hotel/guest house and that we had no intention of complaining about our initial room we both felt that we were being 'had' and that we were probably not the first guests to have had this experience here.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank wanderingsky
London
Reviewed August 27, 2008

Can Isabel is a charming hotel in a lovely location. The ambience was good; the service faultless but there was an unpleasant ending to our stay.

After a week’s stay we were due to leave early in the morning so the day before our departure we arranged to pay our hotel bill that evening. Martha asked us how we would be paying and we told her that we intended paying by credit card. She did not comment.

In the evening when we went to pay our bill, Antonio tried to swipe our card and then told us that the transaction was not being accepted. We tried my wife’s credit card and the same thing happened. Ditto with my debit card. We were told that we would have to pay the bill by cash. As our stay had been for 7 nights our bill came to over €800 which is not the type of pocket money I carry normally when on holiday, especially not at the end of the holiday when most of our spending money has been used up.

I understand that it is not a perfect world and things can go wrong but Antonio went to great lengths to assure me that it was a problem with his machine, not with our cards being rejected, and showed me that in the last few days, 4 out of 5 transactions had not been accepted and guests had had to pay by cash. This made me wonder why nothing had been mentioned in the morning about a possible problem with the credit card machine and also why apparently no steps had been taken to sort the problem out. I find it strange that this has not been sorted and cash is required.

Before booking at this hotel I had read a review which mentioned an identical incident back in October 2007. I did not worry unduly because I assumed that a recurring problem would have been sorted by June 2008 (8 months later!). On returning home I again looked at the reviews available for this hotel and checked them all. I noticed that this problem had occurred as far back as August 2007; a full 10 months previously!

My wife and I had to use a variety of credit and debit cards to withdraw the money to be able to pay our hotel bill. This process, apart from the stress and inconvenience incurred extra charges which we feel were totally due to the hotel’s fault for not rectifying a problem which should have been sorted or else guests should have been made aware on booking that payment of their bill would have to be by cash.

This experience had left us with a bad feeling for what would otherwise have been a wonderful holiday.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of parking
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank LondonHelibel
Canisabel, Owner at Ca'n Isabel, responded to this review, September 4, 2008
Dear all,

Regarding the credit card problem. I would first like to apoligize to all the customers for the trouble they've gone trough. I know how inconvinient it is to look for cash when you're in the hurry of leaving.

Sa Nostra (the bank installing the machine) has been experiencing a lot of problems for many month (I think I can say years) and all the hotels working with them experienced similar problems.They finally changed the card machine this summer. I had a big arguement with Sa Nostra before the beggining of summer so they finally replaced the machine (the repairman even told me he was suprised I still had this old version, a shame they didn’t realize that before).

We didn’t experience any problem since early july.

Sorry again, and thank you for coming to Can Isabel.

Kind regards,

Sebastien & Colette
Spain
Reviewed August 16, 2008

We spent 5 nights at this small hotel in June. We were able to book the terrace room for only 4 nights so the first night we spent in Marfils, which was about the size of a large cupboard. Very claustrophobic as the bed was sent into a cupboard arrangement which, inside, could do with some work.

However, the bathroom was nice, almost as big as the room. Furnishings nice too.

Managed a peek into next door room, just as tiny.

However, terrace room lovely and roomy, and also the one next door with rolltop bath in room looked lovely too and very romantic.

Breakfasts were interesting. I appreciate what someone else wrote about the service, which was excellent. Lovely china and the homemade preserves, scones, etc were delicious. However, the fresh fruit was tinned half the time, a very small amount and no choice. No cereal unless you asked and then no choice.

The servings weren´t generous by any means and there was a lot of bread. Not my type of breakfast. I like a choice so that I can find what I would eat at home.

The hotel was spotless and the staff really nice and helpful. Situation very good too, right by the tram stop, but be prepared for early mornings as that tram starts around 7.30 and breakfast is from 8 till 9.

I was interested to read the report of the person who came to pay and then was told that the credit card machine wasn´t working. The same thing happened to us almost 8 months later. We refused to run out to the cash machine since we had a flight to catch and there followed a phone call with the owner who said that he didn´t know why they had a problem and they were expecting someone to come to fix it. We had no problems with any other credit card machines the whole 10 days we were in Mallorca. It made for a difficult ending to our stay.

• Liked — situation
  • Disliked — credit card payment hasle
  • Stayed June 2008
1 Thank PaquitaSpain
Essex
Reviewed July 28, 2008

The manager Umberto is the star here - a true creative culinary genius - a beautiful breakfast every morning. Fresh fruit, yogurt, cheeses and ham, fresh bread, hot omelette, home made preserves and pastries, good coffee and even green tea offered. He couldn't have been more helpful and even stayed up to 1.30 am to let us in the hotel from our late flight. We were disappointed however by a lot of little things - lack of Annick Goutal toiletries promoted in their brochure (a few little cheap alternatives were in the room on the first night and never replenished during the week) and no promised tea/coffee making facilities or fresh flowers as described on i-escape's website. When you are paying around £123 a night in a guest house you would expect to have more than one sliver of cheap soap to last the week. A box of tissues with 2 left in it was there on the first night and never refilled. Got the feeling they were happy to take your money but very tight with the 'luxury' accompaniments that you would expect to receive complimentary for this price bracket. Shame, as it is a beautiful building and garden and the rooms are very tastefully decorated. Terrace room definitely the best.

• Liked — Location, beautiful building
  • Disliked — Lack of facilities like tea/coffee making in room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jaxx35
Manchester UK
Reviewed June 22, 2008

The hotel is centrally located in Soller, which is a quiet town with a few restaurants situated around a main square, with shops lining a number of small narrow streets (a small compact car is definitely a plus). The hotel has no parking and street parking is difficult; car parks are full so be prepared for a game of ‘hunt the space’.

The hotel is housed in a quant and traditional building with beautiful original mosaic tiles on the walls of the common areas. Rooms are accessed by a large staircase and are extremely compact, with minimal wardrobe space and no luggage storage. Be prepared to fall over your case. The en-suite bathroom was equally as small, albeit traditional and clean. The room had mini-bar, portable TV with digibox and air-conditioning, no safe and basic toiletries.

Our friends were staying in the much larger Terrace room, which I would certainly recommend (Note: Accessed via an exceptionally tight spiral staircase, so not suitable for people with mobility problems). The private roof terrace was a perfect little oasis for an early evening drink.

Breakfast was served outside in the garden area, nice table linen and a small selection of cold meat, cheese and yogurt, with plenty of French bread and jam. The owner also makes an individually portioned scrambled egg, varying the spice and herb additives daily to avoid déjà vu. A very relaxing start to the day. A nice touch was the supply of English language newspapers, over breakfast.

The tram down to the Port is where the better restaurants are (€4 per person one way), but be prepared for an early night as Soller and the Port of Soller are not a place for those wanting to party after 11PM. The tram stops running after 9PM, but a taxi back to Soller from the Port is about €10. Order it from your restaurant before you leave, as they are not plentiful.

The Port has a great sandy beach in the daytime, not too overcrowded; in fact perfect.

Remember to take the trip to Palma on the traditional wooden train, a great journey through the Mallorcan countryside. The stop is right outside the rear door of the hotel.

We had a problem with no hot water in tour room (not even luke warm) for a full day, which was horrendous. Complaints to the Manager were met with an arrogant shrug. We were lucky that our friends had hot water (different part of the house, with separate hot water supply) so we used their shower facilities, both morning and early evening. Without this option I would of been checking out. For me hot water and a shower is a necessity, especially when paying premium hotel rates. As a seasoned traveller, I know problems can always develop, but the way it was arrogantly handled would prevent me from ever returning to the hotel. Notwithstanding this, it has not disracted me from giving a balanced report on the hotel.

• Liked — Traditional and quaint
  • Disliked — The arrogant Manager
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nick_From_Manchester
Huntingdon
Reviewed October 20, 2007

We stayed for a 4 day break in October. I would agree with the previous reviewer that the Guest House is charming, the rooms are comfortable and the breakfasts delicious. It is also ideally sited in the centre of Soller.

In fact all went extremely well with the stay until our final evening. On our return from a day's outing we were approached by the owner, who through a mixture of Spanish, a little English and sign language told us that the Credit Card machine was broken and that we would need to pay the bill in cash.

I was completely stunned, I do not carry that amount of cash on me, and have not paid a hotel bill in cash for at least 20 years.

My husband and I went to the local bank, and by using a combination of our various bank cards, managed to cobble together enough money for the bill.

This incident put a real dampener on the holiday, and is not one I would wish to repeat. For this reason I would not stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — Breakfast was delicious
  • Disliked — Being required to pay bill in cash at short notice, and with no warning.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family