“Beautiful hotel, excellent service, perfect location”
Review of Ca'n Isabel

Ca'n Isabel
Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Soller
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel, excellent service, perfect location”
Reviewed May 30, 2011

C'an Isabel is a gorgeous 19th century house romantically decorated in the heart of Soller, Mallorca.

We planned a last minute escape to the sun for our first wedding anniversary and could not have chosen a more perfect hotel. The staff are incredibly welcoming and accommodating. In spite of my husband and I only speaking a little Spanish, communication was not an issue - the service at C'an Isabel is impeccable. Every morning a delicious breakfast (especially if prepared by Pepe!) is served in the delightful garden, only a stone's throw from the central squares of Soller.

The rooms are elegant with a quiet but exquisite attention to detail. We stayed in both the Red Room and the Blue Room, both wonderful and extremely comfortable.

We would highly recommend this jewel of Mallorca. It is an excellent base from which to explore this stunning part of the island.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LilyPimlico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
uk
Reviewed April 30, 2011

To start with the parking for this place is tricky. As the lady running reception could only speak Spanish it was difficult to understand what we needed to do. Our room was lovely actually with a big terrace complete with sun loungers. It was disappointing that the Wi-Fi or UK channels on TV were not working. Also I found the fact that everything in reception was for sale a bit strange. As there is only one lady running it - we naturally had no help with our bags and communication was limited as our Spanish is not strong. Breakfast was OK - fairly basic but good coffee and eggs. Location wise then you cant fault it. Then came along the end bit. As per other reviews we were asked to pay in cash due to the machine not working. This is obviously a complete lie. It was annoying to have to go to the cash point just before leaving. My feeling on this place is that it was opened with a lot of love but someone somewhere has let it go. For the same price, we have stayed in places with so much more to offer. A real shame.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2011

We spent 4 nights with my friends in the ravishing Can Isabel last October, we had the Ivory room and the blue room. The staff was very kind and helpful, they've served us the very early breakfast we requested (7am) as we are walkers we wanted an early start. The rooms are cozy and very comfortable. We come every year in Mallorca in Autumn and I don't think we ever experienced such a nice hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank TerneyUK
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed October 10, 2010

Very Beautiful rooms in a beautiful town. We had a roof terrace, which was nice, but in the middle of the day it was so hot that it was impossible to be there, but in the evenings it was nice. Unfortunately there is no views from the terrace because of the high walls, but you can watch the stars... Breakfast was great in the garden :). Would come again!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Stuttgart
Reviewed June 2, 2010

In March 2010 we stayed one week at C'an Isabel. Sollér, where the hotel is situated is one of the nicest villages in the north-west of the island. From there it was easy to go hiking but just as easy to drive to Palma de Mallorca the main town (approx. 20 minutes through the tunnel by car depending on traffic). The hotel itself is very very beautiful & well kept. All rooms (in total 5) have a completely different but very comfy look. We had the room with the tub IN the room on the top floor. Don't worry you have a full separate bathroom with a shower. It also has a small but very nice garden if you want to sit outside. If you want to enter the internet you have to bring your own notebook and make sure you ask for the free wireless access. I only found out the last day, the code is written on the phone in your room. A lady who does not speak English takes care of breakfast (which after 7 days the same every morning got quite tiring) check-in & -out etc. Communication is rather difficult. I found it quite unusual that one never got to see the "real" hosts, but that is just my impression. Other than that, the hotel has a perfect location as it is in the middle of Sollér without being noisy. Parking is a bit of a problem, but we always found a spot nearby.
Accommodation here is not cheap but the beauty and location of the hotel was worth it. It is a very unusual hotel and you need to be a little fit to climb the steep stairs to your room (but its only two storeys).

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Cotswolds
Reviewed November 15, 2008

My girlfriend andI have recently returned from 5 nights at C'an Isabel. We had booked the Blue Room (123 euros per night) online although other more expensive rooms were available. On the first morning, we were approached by the spanish-only speaking chamber maid and via sign language asked if the noise of the footsteps of the couple in the room above ours had disturbed us. We had been aware of the footsteps but had not been unduly bothered by them. The maid then invited us to look at three empty rooms and we decided to move to the front, Red Room. We had assumed that we were being 'upgraded' but instead we were told that this would be 20 euros a night more.We offered to pay 10 euros and after the maid had conferred with the owner this was accepted. Bearing in mind the time of year(Oct/Nov) and that for our last three nights we were the only guests in the hotel/guest house and that we had no intention of complaining about our initial room we both felt that we were being 'had' and that we were probably not the first guests to have had this experience here.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank wanderingsky
London
Reviewed August 27, 2008

Can Isabel is a charming hotel in a lovely location. The ambience was good; the service faultless but there was an unpleasant ending to our stay.

After a week’s stay we were due to leave early in the morning so the day before our departure we arranged to pay our hotel bill that evening. Martha asked us how we would be paying and we told her that we intended paying by credit card. She did not comment.

In the evening when we went to pay our bill, Antonio tried to swipe our card and then told us that the transaction was not being accepted. We tried my wife’s credit card and the same thing happened. Ditto with my debit card. We were told that we would have to pay the bill by cash. As our stay had been for 7 nights our bill came to over €800 which is not the type of pocket money I carry normally when on holiday, especially not at the end of the holiday when most of our spending money has been used up.

I understand that it is not a perfect world and things can go wrong but Antonio went to great lengths to assure me that it was a problem with his machine, not with our cards being rejected, and showed me that in the last few days, 4 out of 5 transactions had not been accepted and guests had had to pay by cash. This made me wonder why nothing had been mentioned in the morning about a possible problem with the credit card machine and also why apparently no steps had been taken to sort the problem out. I find it strange that this has not been sorted and cash is required.

Before booking at this hotel I had read a review which mentioned an identical incident back in October 2007. I did not worry unduly because I assumed that a recurring problem would have been sorted by June 2008 (8 months later!). On returning home I again looked at the reviews available for this hotel and checked them all. I noticed that this problem had occurred as far back as August 2007; a full 10 months previously!

My wife and I had to use a variety of credit and debit cards to withdraw the money to be able to pay our hotel bill. This process, apart from the stress and inconvenience incurred extra charges which we feel were totally due to the hotel’s fault for not rectifying a problem which should have been sorted or else guests should have been made aware on booking that payment of their bill would have to be by cash.

This experience had left us with a bad feeling for what would otherwise have been a wonderful holiday.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of parking
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank LondonHelibel
Canisabel, Owner at Ca'n Isabel, responded to this review, September 4, 2008
Dear all,

Regarding the credit card problem. I would first like to apoligize to all the customers for the trouble they've gone trough. I know how inconvinient it is to look for cash when you're in the hurry of leaving.

Sa Nostra (the bank installing the machine) has been experiencing a lot of problems for many month (I think I can say years) and all the hotels working with them experienced similar problems.They finally changed the card machine this summer. I had a big arguement with Sa Nostra before the beggining of summer so they finally replaced the machine (the repairman even told me he was suprised I still had this old version, a shame they didn’t realize that before).

We didn’t experience any problem since early july.

Sorry again, and thank you for coming to Can Isabel.

Kind regards,