“Pure heaven”
Review of Esplendido Hotel

Esplendido Hotel
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Soller
Reviewed March 31, 2010

I think I would have to say I think this is my favourite hotel ever as the location is so spectacular. It was very pricey so I may not ever be able to afford to go back, but wow it is brilliant. The hotel is almost right on the beach. We had a balcony which overlooked the stunning bay of Port de Soller which is incerdibly picturesque. We loved sitting there watching the sunsets which were diffferent every night.
The room was gorgeous if a little small. The surround sound speakers were a hit, and the bathroom was great. There is even a DVD library of up-to-date films which you can watch on their state of the art equipment in your room.
We braved the courage to walk across the tramline (very quaint indeed there is a little tram which goes all the way to Palma, the Soller-Palma train journey is reputed to be stunning, we just could not tear ourselves away from this place as we only had four night here!) on a few mornings and swim in the sea which is calm and still. Cold at this time of year, but once you have been in for a few minutes it is so refreshing and you do not feel it.
When we first arrived we enjoyed a tasty lunch outside. Great spot to eat, right by the sea. The breakfasts were great, with a good choice of healthy options. Hot food not so great but not bad.
There is no getting away from the fact this place is very expensive though, I am not sure you could make any claims about good value. But, you do get what you pay for and the service, standard and food was fantastic. The bar is a lovely place to relax in the evening too. The hotel even has a vinyl library!!
The infinity pool is a piece of heaven, it is like being on top of the world. My husband and I managed to have it to ourselves a few times and it is very special. The infinity pool is just for adults which is nice, as there are always children in the main pool.
We ventured out to restaurants a few times, there are plenty to choose from. Hunt out a good paella though it is worth it.
Family friendly, there were plenty of children and babies around.
I would love to go back to this hotel, it really was a piece of heaven.
I would highly recommend it for an indulgent treat, romantic get-away, honeymoon or just a lovely break!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 13, 2010

This review is long overdue! Had a fantastic week long stay at Esplendido. Lovely rooms - very clean and REN products in the bathroom. Buffet breakfast was one of the best I've ever had in any hotel. Was with friends with no kids, so we were really pleased that the 2nd of the pools, whilst smaller had a 'no kids' rule. Was also set higher up the hill at the back of the hotel so you got a nice view of the Soller bay too. Waitress service to your sun lounger was great. Soller is nice, but definitely recommend hiring a car and going to Deia beach for the day - also some nice restaurants there for dinner. Will definitely be returning to the Esplendido!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2009

In terms of comfort and quality i have no comments.
Still there is something highly irritating in this place.
Owners are Swedish and the place has not a touch of Mallorca in it.!
There is nothing Mallorcan about this place. The staff is friendly but act like Swedish robots.
The guests are predominantly Swedish with lots of kids.
The Art is Swedish as the Stockholm gallery explained in their catalogue that was centrally exposed when i entered my bedroom.
The design is Swedish, the music -at times very dominant came straight from a lounge bar in Stockholm.
I could get the most expensive wines and cocktaios but a simple herbal tea as the Mallorcans take: never hear of!!
Beautifull Mallorcan Artists to be promoted : not a word; The hotel is first rank on the yearly traditional El Firó - no a sign or comment !
Can the neurotic background beat please be alternated by some Chopin for example. Chopin uuuh, why?!!!
Loads of sympathetic and commercial chances to be missed.
I could not but pity the Mallorcan business community and Puerto Soller hospitality.
This place is an insult to Mallorca culture! some of the young local staff immediately agreed. They probably learn a lot about Swedish rules and systems and might earn well but they are selling their soul!.
If you want a Swedish holiday and belief in the swedish ubermensch go for it!
If you want a Mallorcan five star experience -avoid it!
Any likeminded people I am open to good alternative suggestions.

As TA does not allow in its ratin qualification on the local cultural aspect i have tried to express my frustration by ranking service and value low.
Service was low as the hotel was not providing active info on local culture, nor was it experienced with local culinary practices and products. Hence i filled out value like wise.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
11  Thank esplendid0
Reviewed October 12, 2009

I loved this hotel. Funky decor. Lots of great places to hang out. The terraced pool area included lots of chairs located in both sunny and shady places. This was the perfect spot to lounge and look out at the sea. A small bar near the lower pool made great sangria. The breakfast was quite good. I thought the hotel did a great job of being very kid friendly but also hip and cool. There were two computers for use by the guests. I have no complaints about this hotel. The harbor was pretty. We did have trouble finding good restaurants here (lots of touristy places) but it was a lovely place to spend a few days.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nsrosie
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Loved my stay at Esplendido, the location was perfect as it's right in the middle of the port itself which means your a few minutes walk from the whole of the bay which is fabulous. We woke up to the sound of lapping waves every day even though we were in a garden room at the back of the hotel. We did sneak a peak at the sea view rooms and they are stunning.
The breakfast was amazing as it catered for all needs, lunch in the terrace bar by the infinity pool was also very good. It has a library and relaxation room which is so quiet and well stocked.
My only complaint is that it shuts for 4 months over Christmas as I'd love to go back before Feb next year!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank runtothesunlondon
Reviewed September 28, 2009

We stayed in Majorca for 2 weeks in early sept and stayed 4/5 days in 3 locations, arriving here for our final stay. We did a mix of hill-walking ( fabulous), swimming and sunbathing and mooching around small inland towns.
I would echo what everyone else is saying about the fabric of this hotel and its staff, but food, no.
The breakfasts are great and I would not fault them, but the Bistro is really average. I would say that in two weeks of dining on Majorca, we had our least good meals ( we ate in twice) at the Esplendido. Don't get me wrong, the food is not bad, it just is very average and expensive. I looked at the Tripadvisor Resturants section the day before we left for Porta Pollensa, Orient and Porta Soller ( our three stays) and followed the advice, which was good in every location. So I would thoroughly recommend doing that for your restaurant choices.
But do stay in this hotel....
I would also add that we are in our 50s and not very hip, and loved the hotel, so do not be put off when you hear it described as 'achingly hip'.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elanv28
Reviewed September 21, 2009

A superb hotel in a great location. We found out about the Esplendido via an article in The Independent newspaper Saturday travel magazine some time ago. It was everything the review said and more. We had been to Soller many years ago on a flying visit and were so impressed we always vowed to return for a longer stay so being armed with the review, we took the plunge to stay at the Esplendido. We were not to be disappointed. The location is central in the "horseshoe" of the Port. The hotel is on the main road/promenade of the harbour but the traffic was so minimal it seemed non-existent. Even the old rickety tram was un-intrusive as it rattled past every 30 minutes or so. There is so much to recommend, It is very cool and stylish with all the very friendly staff dressed in all white uniform who were always attentive. The furnishings in the main lobby/bar area are of an art-deco style. The room we stayed in, while just about big enough for the 2 of us, boasted an enormous terrace with seating, reclining deckchairs and the most impressive view of the Port de Soller. The hotel has two pools at the rear, with multi level terracing that actually overlooks the roof of the hotel but offers even more impressive views of the port. There is also a library on the 5th floor with a record player and loads of old vinyl to listen to, should the weather conspire to keep you indoors. Additionally there is a Spa and Gym on the same floor. Breakfast is included in the price and was excellent with plenty to choose from, hot and cold. The bar food was pretty good but a special mention must go to the Bistro restaurant, it was the best dining experience we had during our 10 day stay. There were plenty of other good restaurants nearby which we did use, none came close to the hotel's own restaurant. We paid €240 per night which with the poor exchange rate made for a more expensive final bill but overall it was well worth it. If paying more for something that actually delivers then it is worth the extra. Hard to fault on any level. If we had a criticism, allowing smoking inside the bar was deeply unpleasant but it seems a total ban has yet to be agreed.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple