“Rude, snobby and pretentious!”

Restaurant il Giardino
Ranked #3 of 92 Restaurants in Pollenca
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Restaurant il Giardino is an all fresh produce restaurant with an Italian/French cuisine, the best of both. It has an elegant air-conditioned interior dining room in what was an original manor house, and a beautiful terrace on the main pedestian square of Pollensa town, a fovourite with families and celebrities alike. Tasty starters and salads, great pastas, fresh fish, a good selection of meats and the right wine to accompany it, all served with a smile.
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Having eaten at this restaurant several times with my parents and extended family over the years and repeatedly told my fiancé how amazing the place was I was confident that taking him for his 21st birthday would be a success. (my ratings are for the food eaten on previous visits)
Sadly the plan went sour from the start. Knowing that the restaurant is popular we booked our table in person during that day. We asked for a table for 2 at 7.30pm, the waiter turned to the managed and asked in Spanish if there was anything free, he replied (in Spanish) 8.45pm (with a if-we-have-to intonation and a careless shrug) I assume it was because we were young and they assumed we wouldn't be spending much, so we weren't very high up their priority list..... Having just graduated from university with joint honours Spanish being able to listen to conversations is always a bonus.
Anyway, not wanting to ruin the day for my fiancé, I ignored the awkwardness and we returned in the evening for our meal. We waited at the edge of the table trying to catch someone's eye, we were completely ignored for about 10 mins, during which a middle aged couple pushed past us and loudly greeted the manager, air kissing and back slapping commenced. Again we ignored this and finally got shown to our table (which was next to the door and in the middle of everything- not the quiet romantic evening I had hoped for.) Pointing to a free table we asked if we could sit there instead, they refused so we gave up and sat down. 2 seconds later yet another of their 'old friends' arrived and the air kissing commenced again. Obviously they wanted our table as suddenly we were offered the option to move where I had suggested before and they promptly sat down at the table we had just vacated. I thanked the manager (who was busily moving us) saying that we were pleased with the table as we were celebrating. At which point he looked at me and said sarcastically 'What do you want me to do, sing?!'
By this point we felt completely out of place and generally not welcome, the atmosphere and evening in my opinion were spoilt. I felt like crying.
My fiancé pointed to a restaurant up the square that we had eaten at the night before, making the decision we got up and left (something I would never had usually dared to do) we got a table 10 mins later and had a lovely 4 course meal. Birthday and his first trip to Mallorca saved. Having worked as a waitress at a family run Italian restaurant in my home town, the thinly veiled politeness that most restaurants offer is usually easy to see through, but I have never been so low priority and unwelcome!!
The atmosphere lovely that previous revues mention is present in all parts of the square, having seen many restaurants come and go I can say it is the square as a whole not a certain restaurant that creates the atmosphere.

4  Thank Cat_buxton
There are newer reviews for Restaurant il Giardino

Reviewed November 17, 2012

We found this wonderfullly situated r estaurant after a mistake with our booking at Restaurant Nous who had been not very helpful with an outside table.Ambience in the square on a warm late summer evening was magic and quality of food and personable service made an evening and we came back twice on shortish visit.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

On a recent holiday in Majorca, my wife and I dined twice at this very nice restaurant. It is located in the old town of Pollenca on the Plaza Mayor along with several other restaurants. We chose this one on the first occasion as we fancied an Italian menu for a change. Although we had not reserved a table, we were very pleasantly welcomed and seated right away on one of the outside tables with a good view of the activities in the square. Service was prompt and very friendly, indeed all the staff throughout the evening were exceptionally pleasant and efficient. The whole atmosphere of the location in the square was buzzing and exciting.
We chose from the a la carte menu what turned out to be three delicious courses with wine, coffee and liquers. All a little less than £100 for two which given the quality of the establishment, its location, lovely staff and general standards was well worth it.
We were sufficiently impressed to go a again a few days later and it was all equally great. Bill about £120 this time for two so not too cheap! Still if you want quality, it comes at a price as indeed it does at home in England.
Thoroughly recommend - can't wait to return next year.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Busy Plaza Mayor location near the steps - great for people watching! Eat here twice during a recent stay in Pollenca. Once just for a quick snack and a drink outside when the weather was a little kinder and later in the week inside the restaurant for a more formal meal.
Staff were attentive good choice of food and wine excellently prepared and served. Did not find it overpriced - wine particularly good value. Bakery next door had some mouth watering pastries to take away.
Obviously popular with local residents as well as visitors - always a good sign

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This restaurant is nicely sited on an active plaza - lots to look at while eating a lovely meal. If you are there in colder times, it looked beautiful inside too. The service was very nice as was the menu. The food was delicious, but quite pricey. I would only go here once in a week's holiday - unless I won the Lotto! Perfect for a special night out.