“Need Better Management!”

Description: Zip code 72956 Tel.# (479) 474-2357
Fort Smith, Arkansas
“Need Better Management!”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My elderly father lives in Van Buren. We decided get dinner somewhere close and stopped at the Western Sizzlin for a steak dinner. My father ordered the $16.00 rib eye steak dinner. I ordered a $12.00 sirloin. My steak came out first. It was served on a sizzling platter. When the waitress brought my father's out a few minutes later and it was the wrong steak. She checked the ticket, apologized, and went to tell the cook that he needed to prepare the right steak. It took about 20 minutes before the waitress brought the second steak out. The rib eye looked boiled on the outside and was cold on the inside!! It wasn't even served on a sizzlin platter. I called the waitress over, she took one look at it, and agreed that it did not look right. She asked him what else he would like to eat so he told her that he wanted a steak like the one I ordered. She apologized and said she was going to have the manager come over and speak with us after he was finished talking to the cook. It seem to take forever for that last steak to come. It was cooked right but my father had lost most of his appetite after waiting an hour and a half for them to get his order right. The manager never stopped by our table to apologize. I could not believe it when they charged my father for his meal.

• Visited September 2013

Arkansas
“CARDBOARD ANYONE?”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I live in the Van Buren area, but I drive to the Ft. Smith on Rogers Avenue location when I want Western Sizzlin' food. There is no comparison to the food quality between the two restaurants. The hot food bar food choices at the Van Buren location are very poor. Most of the food on the hot food bar tastes like cardboard. Fried shrimp and other fish dishes are offered only on Saturday. Deserts are limited. The steaks I have gotten each time at this location were good and cooked to my order specifications. Even though this location is near I-40 and I-540 there are better food choices elsewhere.

• Visited February 2013
Greencastle, Indiana
“Decent Food but Outdated Atmosphere”
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

I dined at Western Sizzlin while on an extended stay in the Van Buren area. I had the New York strip steak, fries and salad bar. The steak was actually pretty decent (although a little too much gristle), fries Ok, and the salad bar was reasonably stocked, and fresh. The whole meal was $16 which was very reasonable.

The big downer is the out-of-date (1970's), and worn decor. The restaurant is in major need of a remodel.

The food & price was good enough to go back, but not sure if I can handle the decor again.

Wexford, PA
“Not Up to Expectations”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We were tired and this was near our hotel, so we didn't look further. Should have. We were unaccustomed to this chain, and nobody came to our rescue to help us decipher what we were to do regarding ordering, etc. We ended up choosing the food bar which looked better than it turned out to be. The fried seafood seemed to be frozen and heated and tasted accordingly. Vegetables were overcooked. The soft ice cream was icy. Then I noticed a waitress wiping her feet on a rug as she came out of the kitchen. At that point I was done.

• Visited October 2012
Van Buren, Arkansas
“Not as good as it used to be.”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Still not a bad value. It's fairly inexpensive for a "sit-down" place to eat. It really has gone down-hill a bit, but we still go there occasionally, usually when we don't want to spend a lot for a meal.

Visited August 2012