“Good for family and pets.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Van Buren-Ft Smith Area
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Van Buren
Conyers, Georgia
“Good for family and pets.”
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

This holiday inn express is 5 min. From interstate and right beside large movie theater. This was our second visit to this hotel. But this time we brought our golden doodle duke. The hotel offers plenty of run around space and the room was plenty big for a crate. There is a great ice cream place called braums around the corner, as well as a sonic and wendys. The offer a great breakfast, nice pool and clean modern rooms.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Bryant, AR
Reviewed June 4, 2013

By no means is this a bad hotel. I travel all over the state of Arkansas, and I have stayed in much, much worse. There was (or I should say, is...I'm still here as I'm typing this) a mix of good and bad. For me, though, the bad outweighs the good.

The good: All of the staff I've encountered have been very friendly and helpful. The front desk staff checked me in a little early, which I appreciated, and every time I've walked past the desk the attendant has greeted me and asked how I was doing. The hotel is clean and in a nice spot - convenient to the freeway (but not bothered by freeway noise), retail and restaurants. There's even a movie theater adjacent to the property. Beds are comfortable with lots of pillows. The flat screen tv with some digital channels is nice, too. AC works great. The room is very spacious and open (I am in a two-queen non-smoking room).

The bad: Most of these are probably just pet peeves of mine when I travel, so you may not place much weight on these inconveniences. I do. (1) There is no refigerator or microwave in the room (although a microwave is available for use in the lobby). In this day and age, nearly every property has this feature; not here. My wife is diabetic and has to keep her inuslin cooled, so this is always an important feature for us; luckily, she comes prepared, so we have a backup plan, but this is still an annoying inconvenience. It also prevents us from buying food and keeping it in the room, forcing us to spend more money on eating out. (2) There is no seating in the room (with the exception of the desk chair). As I mentioned previously, the room is very big. There is plenty of room for a chair and ottoman or a small loveseat. I hate sitting in bed, and desk chairs are not the most comfortable. The lack of a place to sit and relax is a major sore spot for me. (3) There is no ice machine on my floor (the fourth). This drives me crazy. I have to keep ice in the room because there is no refrigerator (see #1 above), and now I have to keep running downstairs to the third floor to get ice. Very frustrating. (4) The room is poorly lit. While there is a nice, big window to allow sun in, there is only a single light by the beds that just does not put out a lot of light - not sure if it's due to a low wattage bulb or a darker than average lampshade. Regardless, it's a little difficult to read in bed - one of my wife's favorite activities. (5) Breakfast this morning was simply not good. There was a fine variety of items, and perhaps the other items I did not sample were better, but the biscuits were hard and dry, the sausage was flavorless and for the first time ever at a Holiday Inn Express, the cinnamon rolls were hard as a brick. I ate at 8:30, so it wasn't like I came down at the end of the breakfast. Very disappointing.

Like I said, there was a mix of good and bad. But the bad was just too much for me to recommend this property with any real conviction. You won't have a bad stay here at all, but you could certainly have a better stay at other properties nearby (like the Hampton Inn).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RoosterHogburn
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Van Buren-Ft Smith Area, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear RoosterHogburn,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. It is pleasing to know that you found our staff to be friendly. However, please accept my apologies though that you found this visit to be less than your expectations most especially with the condition of the room you were given and breakfast not being up to par. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Despite your disappointment, I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Benton, Arkansas
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We had called for three rooms and had a discount offer. Jessica helped us at the front desk and had our rooms at the advertised price. Great rooms, very clean and bathroom stocked. Tyler helped us check out and we plan to return again. Only downside were the breakfast omelets. Dry and tough, but everything else on breakfast menu was very good.

Room Tip: Get a discount coupon from the Arkansas Welcome Center 6 miles to the Oklahoma border. Well worth th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Aztec, New Mexico
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I came into Van Buren on a business trip, and was greeted by Kyndie at your hotel. She was friendly and very professional, knew the area well, and got me a nice room with a great deal with no complications. I would definitely influence more people to stay at this hotel if presented with the opportunity.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a night while in Van Buren for a weekend event. It is located about 20 minutes from Fort Smith airport. My room was clean and as this hotel is rather new, the furniture was modern. The hotel was able to accommodate my early check out and even had breakfast available at 5:30am. There is also a Sonic just down the street. If I visit Van Buren again in the future I will choose to stay here.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank CurlyTraveler7
VBNES, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Van Buren-Ft Smith Area, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. It means a lot to us that you would take the time out of your day to review our establishment. When we hear comments like yours, we know that we are doing something right. Guest satisfaction and customer service is our priority. We are looking forward to see you agin in future.
michigan
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Traveling from Dallas to Branson we stopped at this holiday inn. The desk clerk was very knowledgeable of the area and informative of the best way to enjoy our stay in Branson. The hotel was very clean and priced lower than most Holiday Inns which was a plus. The staff was very friendly and courteous. We will stay again on our next time through.

PS: The bed was extremely comfortable with great pillows. Slept well !!!

Room Tip: When you walk into the lobby and the environment is less that expected ask to see a room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Omega, OK
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We thought this hotel was brand new and the clerk told it was 4 years old! it is very nicely appointed from the entrance to the rooms. This might be an odd thing to notice, but the linens smelled fresh and clean as did the room. Convenient location, just off I-40. The complimentary breakfast was, in our opinions, above average as it included eggs and bacon, my DH's favorites. The staff was friendly and professional.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. Our housekeeping staff is very happy to receive complements for their great job. Our first priority is to make our guests feel at home and we hope that we succeeded with you. We look forward to seeing you again very soon. Have a great day!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Van Buren
Hampton Inn Fort Smith
Hampton Inn Fort Smith
#3 of 22 in Fort Smith
DoubleTree by Hilton Fort Smith City Center

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Van Buren-Ft Smith Area? Share your experiences!