“The best retreat in Ireland” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Monart

Monart
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Enniscorthy
Dublin, Ireland
“The best retreat in Ireland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I have been to Monart Spa many many times with friends and family, but for the first time, I travelled there on my own, for some me time. I thought it would be strange being there on my own, but not one bit. It seems so natural for the staff to be friendly and welcoming. I ate both days in the bar and was a little concerned at first that I would feel uncomfortable being alone, but that unease was short lived, the bar staff are excellent company, while at the same time being attentive to all. My orders were delivered to perfection. For me, Monart is truly a magical place, where being woken by the ducks quacking brings a smile to my face. I will most definitely go back again, maybe not on my own as my daughters would not allow that again, but I will be back. Thank you to Patrick and all in Monart for making all my visits memorable, where my only bad experience is when I have to leave. This is a must visit place – heaven on earth, including the angels. Irene

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Irene D
Dear Irene D,

Thank you indeed for your review of your recent stay with us here at Monart. We are delighted that you were able to escape away on your own for some me time on this occasion.

Your commendations of our Staff particularly are very much appreciated, we truly believe they are our very best asset.

We look forward to welcoming you Monart again and again.
Monart Destination Spa ‘The Great Escape’
Monart is an Adults Only Destination, to unwind, escape the stresses of modern life, relax and return to one’s true nature. Voted in the top three Destinations Worldwide by Condé Nast Reader’s Choice Awards. Tatler Destination Spa of the Year 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Polish first
cork
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

After visiting Monart for lunch , I felt excited about coming back to stay. . I rang to book a night for my husband and myself for our anniversary. A friendly gentleman on the phone offered me a rate for B & B. I said I would ring back the next day to secure booking. When I rang back I was talking to a different person who quoted me a rate of 50 euro extra. When I explained that I had been given a lower rate the previous day, she explained how people are 'always booking with them' and rooms get taken. There was no flexibility to discuss a rate and I did not feel my custom was important, for a place that advertises itself as providing care and pampering, I felt very much uncared for in this experience, my visit didn't matter as they 'are always getting bookings'. I work in the hospitality industry myself and feel that this type of over-confidence that leaves the customer feeling unappreciated is very unattractive. I said I would not be staying and there was no further dialogue
While I was really looking forward to the experience, sadly my first impression has turned me off.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Patrick K, Manager at Monart, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Martina L,

Many thanks for your review of Monart.
We are truly disappointed to read that you should have any reason to be dissatisfied with any of your dealings with us.

As I am sure you can appreciate, all of our Special Offers are on a first come first served basis, therefore we do encourage earliest possible booking of same. Our Offerings are immensely popular and do sell out very quickly.

We very much value and are thankful of all of our clients here at Monart, and equally for each and every enquiry and booking we receive.

We very much hope that we have the pleasure of Welcoming you to Monart at some point in the future.
Carlow, Carlow, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Entrance was via intercom at the Main gates when as you enter you are transported to a place of beauty, peace and nature. This beautiful Granite Building stands within 119 acres of paddock and woodland designed to give you a feeling of complete relaxation, tranquility and a haven from the world outside. Although we only saw a little of the garden due to the weather it was romantic and enchanting and had bridges and a waterfall, also a pond which had ducks swimming about in its waters. There were various seating area’s to relax and enjoy the scenery.
I visited the Drawing room where a welcoming fire burned brightly. In another room off the main entrance hall and in the conservatory ladies sat enjoying afternoon tea. The presentation was served on tiered cake stands and looked so scrumptious. Afternoon tea is very reasonably priced at 20 Euro.
Dining area was set up very nicely with linen cloths etc and our table looked out over the grounds. Waiters and waitresses were well trained, polite, informative, and efficient with a genuine friendliness and worked well together as a team.
Wine List: There was an excellent list of wines to suit everyone. Certainly the best list I have ever seen.
Starter: Rabbit & Ham Hock Terrine. Delicious and well presented
Main: We choose Roast Beef with Yorkshire pudding. My friend wanted his medium and I medium rare. It was explained to us that our fillet of beef would be freshly roasted in the oven to our requirements. It was a very generous portion of beef, heavenly: tender, delicious and melt in the mouth, most definitely star of the show, and I just love Yorkshire pudding so I was in heaven. Fresh Broccoli, Julienne Carrots and creamed Potatoes accompanied the meal.
Sweet: My friend chose the cheeseboard which had a selection of 5 cheeses served with grapes, apple and chutney which was beautifully presented and again generous portions.
I chose the Cheesecake with Black Forest sorbet. The cheesecake appeared to be cooked and the combination was divine.
We declined coffee or tea which was included.
To conclude: the meal was 29.95 euro per person which is very reasonable for a 5 Star Hotel and excellent value. I have no hesitation in recommending this fantastic venue to everyone. We will definitely be returning. A definite treasure.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Joan E,

Many thanks for your review of your Sunday Lunch with us here at Monart recently.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience, your high praise and commendation
are very much appreciated.

We very much look forward to welcoming you to Monart again soon. __________________________________________
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

Myself and my mom just spent a very relaxing evening at the Monart. I am home visiting from Canada for a week, so we seized the opportunity to steal some time away with no interruptions.
This is exactly what we got. We were met on arrival by a very friendly concierge (sorry I don't remember his name) He took our car and luggage and ensured our bags were waiting for us in reception when we checked in. the reception desk we were given a lemon/ginger tea, in the most tranquil of settings. The front of the hotel is the original house that sat on the grounds, which opens up into an old meets new magnificent spa. The furniture is an eclectic mix of antique and nouveau design pieces. After check in and confirmation of treatment reservations, we were escorted to our room, given a tour of the hotel on the way and informed of all the amenities. The rooms are amazing. We were on the top level, which meant a lovely balcony overlooking the pond. Lower floor rooms have patios. The rooms are extremely spacious and the bathroom has a large walk in shower with a large soaker bath.

The spa itself is top class. We had booked in for a massage and it was just what we needed. after the massage we were led into the dark reflection room to relax. Afterwards you have complete access to the spa treatments, which included a salt room, ice showers, hydrotherapy pool and sauna, There is also an outdoor Swedish sauna which is amazing.

Dinner was fantastic. The service was impeccable and the food did not disappoint. All in all I would highly recommend staying here. Not a bad thing can be said. Thank you for a great time!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Polly17Calgary
Dear Polly17Calgary,

Many thanks indeed for your review of your recent stay with us here at Monart. We are truly delighted that you enjoyed your great escape and believe us to be 'a hidden gem'.

We very much hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you to Monart again in the future.
Dundalk, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

Just back from the most amazing stay at Monart. From the moment we arrived we were whisked into a haven of peace and tranquility. Check in by the wonderful Jenny was excellent as we sat and everything was explained to us. We then had an amazing lunch in the garden lounge. Jenny then showed us to our rooms - as we discovered that night the most comfortable hotel beds ever!, Stunning is the only word to describe them! We headed to the spa in our robes for the most relaxing treatments and spent a few hours just lazing about - the perfect girlie getaway. Dinner that night was perfect- great menu choice and amazing presentation.
The staff are so professional yet friendly. From the six of us that stayed not one of us could find fault. The only complaint.......that we couldn't stay longer!!
We cant wait for our next stay!! Would highly recommend

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be the same excellent standard!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sfinn1,

Many thanks indeed for your review of your time with us here at Monart. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found everything to be 'Faultless'.

We look forward to welcoming you to monart for another great escape.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed with my Mum and sister for a few days for a birthday celebration. It is a wonderful place but there are a few niggles. There is a lack of general maintenance and some housekeeping issues. Our treatments were incorrect although that was rectified immediately. I was also very disappointed with the resident Shaolin Monks after attending a meditation class, which literally entailed sitting on a cold floor in a cold studio listening to a repetitive chant from the CD player. They seemed happy though as every time we entered the restaurant or coffee shop they were in there eating and using their phones in the wifi area (which sadly there is only one of - I do think you should have the option of wifi in the bedrooms - up to you if you use it!). Nice job if you can get it! We thoroughly enjoyed out dining experience there, the food is lovely and very well presented. The waiting staff were very attentive and informative generally. My Mum is gluten free and she constantly had to wait for her gluten free bread to arrive - it was apparently cooked to order which I don't actually believe and it was poor quality comparing it to the great variety on the market now. I noticed quite a lot of dirt in the corners of the main ladies' toilets in the corridor which wasn't new dirt, but looked like it had been there quite a while.... attention to little details like that let Monart down. The tap in our bathroom was loose, the bathwater was brown which we found out when I ran the water in the bath to see if it woudl cure the bad drain smell that seemed to be coming from it. I notice another reviewer commented on the brown water also. The bedside lamp shades were torn on the inside lining which was quite evident when the light was one. One last gripe is that it woudln't take a lot to have a tea/coffee tray in the room either. I appreciate it's probably to get you to spend more money in the coffee shop but the prices they charge for overnight stays it's not a lot to ask. I would go again and do recommend it generally but have been to better residential spas. The treatments are adequate and I didn't like that I had to fill in a receipt after the treatment with a big gap on it for "Gratuity" - it's embarrassing to feel guilted into leaving a tip for your therapist. The treatments are overpriced compared to other spas that I hvae been to.

Room Tip: Room 44, the best view of the garden.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Dibbsa,

Thank you indeed for your review of your stay with us recently here at Monart. I am delighted that in the main you enjoyed your stay with us.

In relation to your Shaolin mediation whilst with us, this, like all of the classes provided by our Resident Shaolin is offered complimentary to our guests. It is a Buddhist, non-guided mediation, and repetitive chanting is a core element. Please note that your comments of temperature have been noted and in these wintery mornings has been increased.

I am sure you can appreciate, that we are very honoured to have the Shaolin with us and are glad that they like others, take full advantage of their personal down-time.

We strive here at Monart to meet all of the dietary requirements of our guests
Please be assured that our Gluten Free bread, for which we are so often complimented, is in fact Baked to order. I am also glad to learn from your direct conversations with my colleagues, your Mum was quite satisfied with the quality of our Gluten Free Bread.

Water from Monart is drawn from our own private mineral wells and organic matter may enter the supply, however this of course is perfectly safe. Emergency maintenance on the water line over the weekend may indeed of resulted in the discolouration of the water. This unfortunately was an unexpected result.

Gratuities here at Monart are an absolute discretion of our valued guests. The insertion of the 'gratuity' line on our receipts, is a result of many requests to do so from our guests. That said it is entirely discretionary.

We are committed to providing the very best in customer service and care; it is with this focus on excellence that we have consistently been recognised as not just 5 star, but a world leading 5 star destination SPA.

We very much hope that we will in fact have the pleasure of welcoming you to Monart again.
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have never felt compelled to write a review of a hotel until we spent a night in Monart at €310 a night bed and breakfast. Every hotel must be considered in light of its cost and the standard it holds itself out to have. Primarily, I could not wait for a bath (which looked lovely and big) particularly in circumstances where there was no Jacuzzi and the hydrotherapy pool was extremely disappointing (it is a luke warm small pool with minimal bubbles and no comparison to pools in much better value spas around the country). When I went to run my bath a disgusting orange substance which I would not expect in a one star hotel came out. I tried to run it clear but after approx. 10 seconds there was nothing but ice cold water left. Around the same time (7am) I had to leave the room as there was insufficient drinking water. I asked for more water at reception and told the man about the bath issues and yet nothing was done before we left. Separately, on the Saturday when being shown around the spa we were told that everybody got a free foot massage. I was delighted with this as I had been too late to book a treatment (warning I accept that this was my fault as they advise booking early, but even 3 weeks before when I tried it was booked out so seriously, book early!!). On the Saturday there was a queue for this so I decided that, rather than wait, I would come down early the next morning before the crowd to avail of this. Only when I came down the next morning they told me it did not apply until 11am, which they did not say the day before, and which would have influenced my willingness to wait on the Saturday. I told the woman at the spa reception about my disappointment that this had not been communicated the day before. The brochure advices you to attend breakfast early so as to avoid a queue. In obedience we set our alarm and got down to the restaurant early only to find ourselves left standing with no service (and no queue) waiting to be seated. We could see through to so many free tables in the restaurant and yet there was nobody to seat us. In any hotel we have been in of similar cost the staff were always present and fell all over themselves to ensure we were made comfortable. Here, when a woman eventually came along she told us in an unfriendly voice to 'wait a minute please' before preoccupying herself with the computer before seating us. Finally, we were snoozing in our room (which was lovely) for our last couple of hours when at 11.20 our doorbell rang. Checkout is not until 12 so we got ourselves up and robed wondering what it was only to find out it was housekeeping seeing if we had checked out yet...(1) check out is not until 12 (2) they should be able to tell from reception whether we have checked out or not and (3) it completely interrupted our last hour of our expensive stay. Monart is a lovely place but charges an extremely expensive premium on privacy and lack of children. I have found better facilities and service in many other spas around the country and would recommend you really consider what is the best bang for your buck. Even when there I communicated disappointments (the bath and the foot massage) rather than be a crank about them later and yet they made no efforts to rectify either when they had the opportunity to do so. Whilst there are lovely aspects about Monart (the privacy, comfy rooms and nice grounds) I felt that it had such a reputation that it has full confidence it will keep getting custom and so has no concerns about actually ensuring that its customers have a nice stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Mary K,

thank you indeed for your review of your time with us here at Monart.
While we are glad that there were aspects of your stay here that you did enjoy, I am very disappointed and saddened to read your comments of dissatisfaction in our offerings. This is sadly not indicative of the vast majority of feedback we receive.

Water from Monart is drawn from our own private mineral wells and organic matter may from time to time enter the supply, however I can assure you that this is perfectly safe.

Emergency maintenance on the water line over the weekend may indeed of resulted in the discolouration of the water and interrupted the supply of hot water in this case. Unfortunately this was a result that we did not foresee.

Without rehashing all of the points you raise, please be assured that they have the immediate attention of our Entire Team.

Should you wish to speak with me directly on these matters, I would be most delighted. Please ask for Patrick.

Monart Destination Spa ‘The Great Escape’
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniscorthy
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club
Treacy's Hotel
Treacy's Hotel
#3 of 5 in Enniscorthy
Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa

Been to Monart? Share your experiences!