“Home away from home”

Ranked #2 of 6 Thurles B&B and Inns
Rome, Italy
“Home away from home”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This is the best version of a bed and breakfast I have seen in a long time. We stayed here for two nights and then extended for a third. Pierce and Joanne, the hosts, welcomed us like guests of the family. The house feels very much like a home, the rooms are impeccable, spacious and elegant. Our was equipped with a gigantic TV, fridge and water kettle for making tea or coffee. We could also regulate the temperature in our room. I slept like a baby in the comfy bed. We had a bathtub but for those who prefer showers there are other rooms with showers. I sneaked into all the other rooms because the doors were open and they were unoccupied and every single one looked inviting and lovely. For breakfast we were offered fruit, cereals, a selection of bread, rhubarb compote and spreads and full Irish breakfast, all very nice. And Pierce helps with advice for any question you might have. The location was perfect for us since we were visiting family just down the road. I would have loved to stay longer! And the Dublin airport is just 150km away, so very handy for half way stops if on your way south or north.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ange516

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This house, parts of which date back over 300 years is architecturally a bit of an oddity but as a B&B, I don't know that I've been to better. My room was the smallest in the house but would still be big enough for to sleep three in comfort in a double and a single. Spotlessly clean with all the amenities that a decent hotel would provide. I've never had a bed with a canopy before - pretty special.

As PWNomad said, the hosts were beyond gracious. Enough to say that I was nearly late for my conference in a nearby college as I spent a full hour at breakfast swapping anecdotes with the host. Breakfast started with a super buffet with all the cereals, fruit and breads you could wish for. Then the acid test... the 'Full Irish.' As with the Full English, The Full Scottish, Full Yorkshire, etc, these all aspire to be an Ulster Fry but normally fall far short. This one was pretty close to the real thing. Only fried bread instead of fried soda bread, potato bread and pancake let it down. A nice touch was baked beans in their own little separate ramekin. This allows the pagan boor to eat them or the sophisticated diner to move them to one side with a superior sniff that says, 'baked beans have no place at the breakfast table.' Well done the Castle.

4/5 for sleep quality was probably my own fault as I'm tall and the duvet was well tucked in and I couldn't be bothered to untuck the bottom and pull it up over my shoulders. I'm my own worst enemy.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank UlsterFryNo1
Moscow, Idaho
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I was traveling Ireland solo and this was an incredible stay. The host set me up in spacious, comfortable, classy, elegant room. The hosts were beyond gracious and had wonderful tips on places to visit while I stayed. I made wonderful connections and felt truly at home. Anytime I return to Ireland, I will stay here. Beautiful setting and delicious food.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Ireland
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are opulent and very clean! Great space for parking. Owners are incredibly friendly and accommodating. The relaxed atmosphere added to a relaxing stay. Breakfast is amazing variety and high quality. Will definitely be returning! Thank you!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Warrnambool, Australia
Reviewed October 11, 2013

A group of 8 of us stayed at this wonderful Country house for 2 nights on 5th and 6th October. From the time you go through the gate, the WOW factor was everywhere. Such beautiful furnishings everywhere. Joan works so hard to maintain everything in top condition. Beds were so comfy that we didn't want to get out of them. Breakfast was extremely generous and included home made breads and jams.
We were so spoilt. Pierce was a mine of information about where to go and what to see.
We felt it was the best B&B we had been to in our 12 day stay in Ireland. Highly recommended. Thanks Joan and Pierce for spoiling us.

Room Tip: All rooms are different. All superb.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Liz797
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We couldnt get anywhere to stay in Kilkenny for a concert and this b&b happened to be the closest we could find, but what a find! The decor is outstanding, bedrooms have everything you need even complimentary bottle of water which was greatly appreciated. The owner Percy was so accommodating , staying up to let us in late at night. The breakfast in the morning followed the high standards, with freshly baked scones, flapjacks and brown bread, then followed by whatever fry up you desire. Cant believe how lucky we were to find this place, definately worth a visit. Have to mention Bannons Bar which is just up the road and the lovely locals who made us feel so welcome!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Maria G
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

This bed and breakfast experience was fantastic . Our host Pierce was very informative and he made everyone fell very comfortable The house is beautiful and the accommodations superb . Do not miss this experience if traveling near Cashel and plan to stay at least 2 nights so you can enjoy this place a little longer than we could

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Jeanie64
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurles
Anner Hotel
#1 of 18 in Kilkenny
Hotel Kilkenny
Hotel Kilkenny
#4 of 18 in Kilkenny

Been to The Castle Country House B&B? Share your experiences!