“All that a B&B should be”

and 1 more site!
The Castle Country House B&B
Ranked #2 of 6 Thurles B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This house, parts of which date back over 300 years is architecturally a bit of an oddity but as a B&B, I don't know that I've been to better. My room was the smallest in the house but would still be big enough for to sleep three in comfort in a double and a single. Spotlessly clean with all the amenities that a decent hotel would provide. I've never had a bed with a canopy before - pretty special.

As PWNomad said, the hosts were beyond gracious. Enough to say that I was nearly late for my conference in a nearby college as I spent a full hour at breakfast swapping anecdotes with the host. Breakfast started with a super buffet with all the cereals, fruit and breads you could wish for. Then the acid test... the 'Full Irish.' As with the Full English, The Full Scottish, Full Yorkshire, etc, these all aspire to be an Ulster Fry but normally fall far short. This one was pretty close to the real thing. Only fried bread instead of fried soda bread, potato bread and pancake let it down. A nice touch was baked beans in their own little separate ramekin. This allows the pagan boor to eat them or the sophisticated diner to move them to one side with a superior sniff that says, 'baked beans have no place at the breakfast table.' Well done the Castle.

4/5 for sleep quality was probably my own fault as I'm tall and the duvet was well tucked in and I couldn't be bothered to untuck the bottom and pull it up over my shoulders. I'm my own worst enemy.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank UlsterFryNo1

Reviewed January 11, 2014

I was traveling Ireland solo and this was an incredible stay. The host set me up in spacious, comfortable, classy, elegant room. The hosts were beyond gracious and had wonderful tips on places to visit while I stayed. I made wonderful connections and felt truly at home. Anytime I return to Ireland, I will stay here. Beautiful setting and delicious food.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are opulent and very clean! Great space for parking. Owners are incredibly friendly and accommodating. The relaxed atmosphere added to a relaxing stay. Breakfast is amazing variety and high quality. Will definitely be returning! Thank you!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2013

A group of 8 of us stayed at this wonderful Country house for 2 nights on 5th and 6th October. From the time you go through the gate, the WOW factor was everywhere. Such beautiful furnishings everywhere. Joan works so hard to maintain everything in top condition. Beds were so comfy that we didn't want to get out of them. Breakfast was extremely generous and included home made breads and jams.
We were so spoilt. Pierce was a mine of information about where to go and what to see.
We felt it was the best B&B we had been to in our 12 day stay in Ireland. Highly recommended. Thanks Joan and Pierce for spoiling us.

Room Tip: All rooms are different. All superb.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Liz797
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We couldnt get anywhere to stay in Kilkenny for a concert and this b&b happened to be the closest we could find, but what a find! The decor is outstanding, bedrooms have everything you need even complimentary bottle of water which was greatly appreciated. The owner Percy was so accommodating , staying up to let us in late at night. The breakfast in the morning followed the high standards, with freshly baked scones, flapjacks and brown bread, then followed by whatever fry up you desire. Cant believe how lucky we were to find this place, definately worth a visit. Have to mention Bannons Bar which is just up the road and the lovely locals who made us feel so welcome!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Maria G
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

This bed and breakfast experience was fantastic . Our host Pierce was very informative and he made everyone fell very comfortable The house is beautiful and the accommodations superb . Do not miss this experience if traveling near Cashel and plan to stay at least 2 nights so you can enjoy this place a little longer than we could

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Jeanie64
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We recently traveled around Ireland for 2 weeks with Grandma, teenager, pre-teenager, and Mom and Dad. We stayed here for 2 nights and wished it were more. This got top marks from ALL of us! It is in a great location (especially to Rock of Cashel), but yet not in the middle of a larger city, which was really nice. The rooms are large...make that HUGE...and the entire house is beautiful!! The food, accommodation, breakfast, hosts were perfect. We stopped and talked with the girls coming in to clean the rooms one day and they were absolutely charming. Very unlike any American lodging where your lucky they will look you in the eye, let alone stand and chat for awhile. I truly couldn't come up with something I'd change even if I tried. We hope to get back to Ireland and will absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank chellebellere
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurles
Anner Hotel
Baileys Hotel Cashel
Baileys Hotel Cashel
#1 of 2 in Cashel
Tir Na Nog Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Castle Country House B&B? Share your experiences!