“Luxury!”

The Horse & Jockey Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Thurles
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

I'm always checking trip advisor for reviews especially before booking somewhere not knowing anything about the place. I understand that people have different opinions and experiences but I have to disagree with the bad reviews about this hotel! It was absolutely fantastic. We were looking for a luxury getaway for the weekend and that's exactly what we got! We booked a standard room and but seemed like a superior! Seemed new and fresh looking and we got a fantastic two nights sleep in that lovely bed! Unlimited drinking water for the room was also a bonus!
Ate breakfast and sandwich food in the bar... Both good quality and delicious especially the cakes in the little cafe! (The breakfast area could do with being a little bigger though!)
Leisure facilities were nice to use.
Drinks in the bar were a good price! I always go by the rule that if a pint of lager is under 5euro it's fine by me! (€4.70) This Guinness wasn't too great but plenty of people drinking it so maybe we were just being fussy!
One thing I would mention is that the hotel is a little far from Thurles on terms of taxi fare... The fare is €12 each way so if you're having a night out just save money aside for that. (Star of India is a great Indian restaurant in the town!)
Overall myself and my partner had a fantastic stay in this hotel, lovely place and staff. Would highly recommend!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rosslare16
Tom054, Owner at The Horse & Jockey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Thank You for your kind review and for been so thoughtful to myself and the staff who work very hard to keep our standards up. As you say it is indeed difficult to please everyone in a busy hotel but we really strive to make everyone's experienced to the Horse and Jockey a memorable and pleasant one.
Tom.

There are newer reviews for The Horse & Jockey Hotel

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Overall this is a really comfortable hotel with a fantastic atmosphere.

Check in was brisk but efficient.

Room was spacious and relaxing - I had a great night's sleep. But the shower was dreadful -- it was a pathetic trickle. I had to go and use the shower at the swimming pool in the morning. My colleague said his shower was substandard too.

We ate in the pub - food enjoyable - service ok.

Breakfast was excellent - staff great.

Other points - lovely swimming pool. Had a massage in the Spa which was excellent.

Travelling on business - would use again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Thank You for your review and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry the shower did not work properly, the system is pressurised and is working well at present.
Look forward to seeing you again.
Tom.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

We stayed here years ago and the hotel was great, but after our recent stay, this hotel has deteriorated badly and needs a lot of investment.
On arrival everything seems good, clean modern reception, but this is just a front to what is to come and just shows don't believe pictures the hotel show on their website.
The rooms are very tired, and that's being nice. The first thing I noticed is the room did not have curtains but a roman blind, which when lowered did not cover the whole window leaving a gap of 5-6 inches at the bottom, and I think had been installed on extreme budget and installed by someone cheap. I have never ever stayed in a hotel with no curtains, and this was the first sign of cost cutting. We had to use cushions in the room to fill the gap under the blind. We stayed in February, so evenings get dark and mornings aren't to bright. The blinds were not black out blinds, most hotels have black out curtains. So you have no possible way of making this room dark, I could imagine what summer months would be like here.
Everything from wood work, bathroom fittings, electrical items were damaged and battered.
I can forgive most things if the bed is comfortable and gives me the perfect night sleep you expect in a hotel. No good night sleep, the bed was lumpy, hard and smelly. Yuk. And the double was two singles pushed together, which moved when you were in the middle.
Most hotels of 4 star and above have little miniatures in the bathroom for gel and shampoo, usually only cheaper hotels have refillable bottles fixed to the wall. The worst thing was, these fixed bottles were broken and the pumps didn't work, and one was snapped off, the staff refilling them would have know, and chose to ignore. And when is one towel enough for a family room.
Breakfast was the biggest disaster ever. Everyone squashed in a room that's far to small, useless staff and a buffet that isn't kept stocked. You could not get a full cooked breakfast as the staff were so slow to refill that once one was full others were empty. They couldn't quite understand the concept of refilling.
When you did get food, if was a experience getting back to your table in the cramped room, asking people to move and pull in their chairs.
Myself and my son used the pool. The pool was ok, except a member of staff on duty made everyone feel very awkward. It was the shower area after leaving the pool that made me turn green. Had they ever been cleaned? The thought of washing off in them was un thinkable. I don't care what anyone says, they hadn't been cleaned in a very long time, I don't count a quick hose down as cleaning. The grime, slime and smell. They hadn't seen disinfectant in.......ever!
I understand why the receptionist didn't ask if we had enjoyed our stay, why she didn't look up from her screen. She didn't want to know our thoughts.
Its not like this hotel is cheap, they charge enough for the family room we had.
Would never stay here again and would recommend others to avoid.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Sprocket1066

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us back in February, it in indeed unfortunate you did not address your grievances when you were here or immediately where we could respond in more detail.
We have since changed the Roman Blinds to blackout, curtains are not a option due to the shape of the dormer type windows.
The Elemis products we use in our rooms are a very high end and expensive product and have often been complimented on as seen in previous reviews, they are also environmental friendly, we do offer miniature toiletries if asked for.
Saying that the breakfast was the "biggest disaster ever" seems over the top notwithstanding that you made no comment regarding the quality and quantity of the food which I presume must have all right. Sometimes during a busy breakfast one has to wait for freshly cooked to arrive from the kitchen this does not happen instantaneous and for any delays we are truly sorry.
Regarding the pool shower, not that I am making excuses, but we are in a very lime water area and this water corrodes the tiles in a white scale which is hard to remove and looks unsightly but I can assure you that this area is cleaned daily. Contract cleaners are presently trying to remove the scale which is proving difficult.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Stayed at hotel for 2 nights. After reading the reviews and looking at the pictures on their website we were really looking forward to our stay there, we were very disappointed. The photos of the rooms we had seen on the website were nothing like what we got. The room look very poor and old ..bathroom the same +was dirty all around. The leisure facilities was TERRIBLE ..Looks very cheap and it was very very dirty ..EVERYTHING there was very dirty...showers ..changing area..sauna , steam room ..around the jacuzzi was lot of sand and rust...I choose this hotel for Leisure facilities witch looks in picture nice...WHAT A MISTAKE... Exterior of hotel look modern ..halls around reception are ok..but thats all...NOTHING more nice in this hotel. Breakfast was poor is well...+ the cups for tea/coffee was dirty inside ..The staff is nice...but that is not enough for be a good hotel..Is the most horribles 4 star hotel in my life..{hope the last} Is definitley Not a 4 star hotel.. In my opinion the reviews on their website couldn't be further from the truth. We were very happy to be leaving the hotel and will never be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Karoline P
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

My husband, 8 month old& I stayed here this month. We were pleasantly surprised with this hotel! We have been here on numerous accessions for a coffee and recharge when travelling to and from Cork but had never stayed.The room was spacious, spotless& well furnished overlooking the courtyard. From the moment we checked in, to our departure the staff were superb. They were very obliging and helpful with our requests re baby food& storing bottles etc.The food in the bar was tasty, although the service was slow on the second night. Breakfast is average but acceptable.The Bakery Cafe is lovely and the gift shop is a shopaholic's haven! Overall this hotel is a gem off the motorway& we will definitely stop again!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Offalymammy
Tom054, Owner at The Horse & Jockey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Thank You for your kind review which I have passed on to all the staff. It is indeed satisifing to get reviews from people who sampled all our facilities rather than people who pass through our busy bars and restaurants.

Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

I stopped for some bar food here- very handy location on way back to Cork. I don't think the food is quite as good as it used to be. The service was slightly sloppy- the waiter brought some incorrect orders- and a bit lacking in charm. The soup was actually delicious but a very small portion. Smoked trout salad- the trout was really tasty as was the brown bread but the salad was a sloppy tasteless disappointment. With a little tweaking this could go back to its previous good standard. The actual hotel is very nicely decorated and has a welcoming atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank User0407
Tom054, Owner at The Horse & Jockey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Thank you for your review, it is indeed frustrating to receive poor service especially with the food been of a good standard. I will look into it and hopefully it will improve the next time you call.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

me and the guy working with me went in for breakfast on Wednesday the 20th of march at 8 am when we went to be seated the waiter looked us both up and down and asked were our booths clean i was so disgusted we turned on our heels and left.basically speaking there is a recession in this country and its massively due to dis kind of rubbish. that waiter lost 24 euros in revenue for his hotel that morning and probably the same for twice or three times a week we would go for breakfast.
just remember the next time a working man comes in to your hotel for breakfast ,hes the guy with the money that you need to keep your doors open and it looked like they could do with it considering the helmens buckets collecting the water coming through the ceiling on that wet morning.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank tommy o
Tom054, Owner at The Horse & Jockey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

I noticed from your review that you did not disagree with the waiter's analysis of your boots which he has concurred with me. We have literally hundreds of working people coming through every day and we try to keep a reasonable high standard which we hope our customers would appreciate and respect, just because there is a recession does not mean we should drop our standards.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurles
Anner Hotel
#1 of 2 in Cashel
Great National Abbey Court Hotel & Spa
Clonmel Park Hotel, Leisure Center and ECO Spa
Kilcoran Lodge Hotel

Been to The Horse & Jockey Hotel? Share your experiences!