“Peaceful and relaxing”
Review of Flemingstown House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kilmallock
Flemingstown House
Ranked #1 of 4 Kilmallock B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Peaceful and relaxing”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed here in mid June for 3 nights at the end of a west coast trip. Although I don't have much experience with B&B's, I hope that I get to stay in more places like Imelda's!
It felt more like we were visiting my best friend's Mom's place in the country. By that, I mean that she was warm, friendly, helpful and also knew how to give us our space and relax. She has a great energy about her and was so accommodating to our needs.
The property is on a large piece of land and I couldn't see another property from our room, just fields and trees.
She makes a full spread of breakfast every morning. One morning, it was just my wife and I... but she still put out all the fixings. She really knows how to make people feel special and cared for.
We will go back there again. There are lots of things to do in the area (ruins, hikes, restaurants). Most of all, we enjoyed relaxing.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank westsidetiburon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Long Grove, Illinois
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Were not sure what to expect when we booked, but were pleasantly pleased with the accommodations. Home is huge and fantastically decorated. Each bedroom has its own shower/toilet. Generous sized bedrooms. Large warm kitchen with dining table. Also 2 other large dining tables on the 1st floor. Central location for visiting all parts of the country. Quiet, beautiful, clean and charming home. Host Imelda is a charmer. Provided welcome dinner and always had fresh scones available. Will definitely return.

• Liked — Imelda the host, whole experience, kitchen, bedrooms, accommodations.
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed July 2012
5 Thank jim c
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Not to be missed!

I stayed here with my mother, sister, and aunt. Upon our arrival, we were greeted excitedly by Imelda Sheedy-King! She had her own incredible scones and tea waiting for us also. She knew that we would probably be jet-lagged, so she informed us that our electric blankets were already turned on, if we felt like a rest before dinner. These small details really made our stay comfortable and special.

The rooms are incredibly clean and decorated in a traditional, somewhat Victorian style, which suits the house beautifully. My room had 2 twin beds, with a bathroom/ toilet/ shower en-suite. There was also a television. But when you're in a place as beautiful as Kilmallock, t.v. isn't something you'd want to watch anyway. It was peaceful. We felt like we were staying at a friend's house, as it was very cosy; we were asked frequently if we needed anything, but not so much that it was overbearing.

Imelda, with the help of her assistant, Betty, prepared an insanely delicious dinner: breads and butter, both fresh and wonderfully rich. A butter lettuce salad with fresh chives, shrimp, and a louie-style dressing: a fantastic start, as the dressing was flavorful, but didn't mask the great shrimp flavor. And the soup...a hot cucumber soup! This was one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten, honestly! It was rich and creamy, without being too heavy or salty. We also had a delicious chicken, coated in crispy breadcrumbs, served with a delicious dijon sauce, fresh veggies, and flavorful mashed spuds. For dessert there was ice cream, pavlova, an apple tart, and fresh fruit with cream!!! Everything was fresh, flavorful, and most importantly, homemade.

Breakfast was also an impressive spread. I had an amazing toasted bagel with peppered cream cheese and incredible local salmon! My aunt had a traditional breakfast with bacon, eggs, tomato and mushroom; she wasn't dissapointed. We also had the chance to have more delicious scones and brown bread with butter and berry jam! Included in the breakfast were various cereals and granolas with several varieties of both tropical and local fruits. Imelda grows her own rhubarb, and when in season, shouldn't be missed; it is stewed with berries and can be topped with yogurt.

The location is very much in the countryside, but is a short drive from any locations a tourist might be interested in, like Cork or Limerick. It's worth being a little out-of-the-way to stay at Flemingstown house. It's really a beautiful setting, surrounded by cattle and greenery.

Imelda and Betty really seemed to go out of their way for us. We felt extremely spoiled. But we also felt like we had made two new friends when we left. They genuinely care about their guests!

Room Tip: Ask for the cucumber soup! If you're a dog-lover, ask Betty about her dogs, she calls them her...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Rachel W
Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

Imelda runs a fabulous place! We were part of a group of 10 who rented her whole house from June 30 through July 6. The house is fabulous and the location very convenient to the west Ireland attractions. Killmallock should not be overlooked. The abbey ruins are very nice, as are the town stores.

Stayed July 2012
2 Thank David M
Shropshire
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Variety is the spice of life and I enjoy visiting new places but my destination on my regular trips to Ireland is Flemingstown House. Why change when you find such a jewel in the Emerald Isle! It is set in peaceful countryside with views over fields to the Hallyhoura Mountains but within easy reach of sites of interest, the rooms are spacious and comfortable, the breakfasts are superb, but its greatest appeal is the warmth of welcome and spontaneous hospitality that is the hallmark of Imelda Sheedy-King. Her attention to detail ensured yet another memorable visit.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Laurie A
Shrewsbury
Reviewed May 29, 2012

My return visit to Flemingstown house was every bit as good as it had been the previous year. The warm welcome more like the greeting given to family returning home.It was as if I had never been away, I was back in my favoured room overlooking the Ballyhoura Mountains. tea was prepared and I relished the taste of Imeldas perfectly baked scones.
I return to Eire each year to see my family who live in Limerick. it would be much more convienent to stay closer to the city than Kilmallock, it is about 20 miles to Limerick but the standard set and maintained by Imelda is such that it would be difficult to find her equal.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Mairead1948
Indianapolis
Reviewed April 25, 2012

This B and B has a spectacular setting , set back from the road behind a large pasture. we were greeted warmly by the proprietress and felt welcomed immediately. The house is fairly large more like a small hotel but filled with beautiful antiques. The bedroom was immaculately clean and well appointed. The bed was comfortable and quiet. The large windows over looked the cow pasture in the distance and beyond the Irish country side. Although located in a small town it is close to Limerick and Birr making it a perfect location to explore the history and culture of Ireland.
Mrs Sheedy is a wonderful cook and the breakfasts were more than one could ask for.
We highly recommend the Flemingstown House and plan to stay there any time we go to Ireland

Room Tip: all of the rooms are large and well appointed with excellent views
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Flemingstown House? Share your experiences!