“Amazing elegance, perfect location”
Review of Ippoliti Hotel

Ippoliti Hotel
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Nafplio
Reviewed April 21, 2011

We were delighted with the beauty and elegance of both Nafplion and this hotel. The interior design is very impressive, to a very high quality standard with hardwood floors, expensive rugs and good reproduction antique furniture. Goodness knows how a reviewer found cockroaches because that does not typify this immaculate, clean, well run hotel at all.
The hotel is in probably the best location in the town, at the quiet, almost car-less end, away from the trucks and coaches. It is one building back from the front and just a few steps away from the gorgeous marble clad streets and squares of the town.
We got the best room in the place (204) with a balcony and views over the sea to the offshore fortress and we really enjoyed the included breakfast (with bacon!) that could be taken inside or out by the small plunge pool in the courtyard.
Room was quiet, bed was huge, we had a big leather sofa, table, desk. Bathroom was nice with a Jacuzzi tub but bath was in front of a shuttered window with a big cill so they had decided not to fit a hook for the shower handset which I found very inconvenient.
They had WiFi with signal everywhere but just could not connect to the second floor system.
Overall, for us, the location, look and feel of this hotel more than made up for any shortcomings, we were delighted with it but perhaps this depends upon the room you get and your expectations. Nafplion is perhaps the most delightful town on the Med but don't go if you want to lie on sunbeds around a pool or bask on a beach!

Room Tip: Room 204 is the best!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bond1674

Reviewed December 28, 2010

My 8 month pregnant wife and I spent 2 nights at the Ippoliti hotel at Nafplion for Xmas. Although the hotel was good enough, and seemed quite clean, we found 3 coakroaches in the room.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Steph750112
Reviewed August 18, 2010

I've been in Nafplion only one night during my holidays in August and I have had a good experience in this hotel. We were four friends and we've enjoyed a lot because we can use the pool during the night as an exception. We had luck because they have made a free upgrade to junior suite, it was incredible, two rooms, a big bathroom, a big queen size bed. All it was fantastic! I truly appreciate the recomendation about one italian restaurant, it was excellent with a good food and good wine!!!! I am grateful for the attention of the staff, I don't remember the name of the girld who was in the afternoon but she was very nice and helpful. Thank you so much for a good stay. I recommend this hotel for a couple, it's very romantic and the pool is small but it's great!

Erica Sanz

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2010

took a 2 day tour to Nafplion with Key Tours (June 29/30) and on the way we had a photo stop at the Corinth Canal plus a short visit to Epidavros (much more interesting than I thought it would be, especially the Cyclopic beehive tombs!), before arriving at Nafplion around 1pm-ish. I had done quite a bit of research online prior to my visit so I was ready to roll once the guide walked me over to the hotel. I was the only one getting off the bus for this tour, the rest of the folks were continuing on to another tour destination. I didn't waste anytime and quickly checked in. I was given room #107 overlooking the pool and thought my room was really nice with dark wood furnishings...old world style with a spacious updated bathroom and a nifty space capsule shower stall! Please see pictures for a better visual. I did learn you need the windows closed for the A/C to work! Completely satisfied with my room for the night, I dropped off my bags and headed out.
For 4 visits I have neglected to visit Nafplion but after seeing one particular photo a friend showed me, I knew I had to see this place and find the same photo spot and yep, I found it (check out photo marked...this is the spot!) I had no idea the hotels and homes were so lovely, the shops so full of wonderful artisans and crafts and the harbor so lively and magical. Why did I wait this long? It's a very romantic place and I wish my hubby would have traveled with me though he has never gone overseas with me. He would have loved the journey to Nafplion, winding through the mountains with all the pine trees and the deep valleys filled with citrus groves. I don't know if he could have fit in the shower, he's a big guy, but he would have liked the spa jets in the stall to soothe him after chasing me all day while I shopped handcrafted jewelry galore,and peered through the windows of the stores spying all sizes of wooden sailboats in one, colorful worry beads in another, hand-painted items in this one over here, and even antique toys in the most delightful place ever!
After a lengthy shopping endeavor, I headed over to the taxi stand to take a ride up to the fortress overlooking the town, Palamidi. I worked a deal for 30 Euro for 30 minutes up there (he waited and drove me back) and it was enough time to see the fantastic view (aka WOW!) and take photos though IF I ever get back, I would want to spend a lot more time up there and maybe even walk down the 999 steps! After that adventure I walked up over the hill at the bottom right of Palamidi to check out Arvanitia Beach below...OMG! If not for all the pine trees, it reminded me of the tropical coast of Hawaii...just beautiful. I didn't have the time for a swim (next visit) but I did walk down the steps and onto the beach for photos. I lingered around there for awhile, then back over the hill and walked toward the harbor.
The tiny fortress at sea is so picturesque and the palm lined boardwalk is stunning. Hubby would have liked hanging out at one of the tavernas lining the seaside...too bad, he missed it! One more thing to add to my wish list next time is to take a little boat out to the small fortress called Bourtzi. It's made even prettier at dusk when both fortresses are lit up in the night and the sun sets behind the mountains turning the sea into glorious shimmery colors.
I did all this the first day (after 1pm) and what makes it possible is having Ippoliti so closeby if needed. I'd drop off shopping items and head out again. If you don't want to go to the beach, the crystal clear pool is right there to cool off & relax. If you don't fill up at breakfast and need a snack, a fantastic bakery and ice cream parlor are very close by. I gave them my stamp of approval several times! For lunch or dinner there are so many tavernas and restaurants to choose from...most of them blooming with bougainvillea from one side of the street to the other, dripping blossoms from the balconies! It's like a fairyland of flora!
I could kick myself for not coming here sooner. I am glad though that I checked with Key Tours to make sure the "tour" hotel was in old town because other wise I might have been on the other side of the mountain with taxi service to get to town. Staying at the Ippoliti gave me a great home base to explore from and when I explored right up the street & around the first corner, I discovered my favorite Greek designer's clothing line (Ioanna Kourbella) at Mycanae's Popular Art. Many fewer Euros later, I ate dinner on the harbor and watched a strolling band of four young men play for a group of teens who happily danced in a circle the "Greek" way. It was an enchanting evening under the cascading glow of Palamidi above and the little beam of Bourzi out at sea! It was so romantic I had to hug another ice cream serving before going back to the hotel for the night!
The next morning I did one more walk around trying to take as many last photo ops as I could. Ok...I did shop a bit also. Key Tours picked me up the next afternoon, again 1pm-ish and I joined other bus folk headed back to Athens. We stopped for lunch (think Big Fat Greek Wedding decor) and then a visit to Mycaenae (awesome Lion's Gate), and one more stop at a shop that specializes in duplicating authentic Greek Art. It was quite fun seeing life size sculptures of Zeus and all the other Gods & Goddesses in one place, very interesting! Finally we rolled into Athens in the RAIN...yes! Another first for me!
Now, in closing (yes, I am really going to wrap this up), I want to say you can certainly get to Nafplio from Athens by regular bus but I didn't want to take a chance there may be a bus strike whereas private companies, like tour companies don't strike. I didn't want to hassle with the regular bus and I didn't mind seeing the 2 ancient sites I hadn't seen before, BUT if I ever visit again, I will no doubt learn the bus system and stay in Nafplio at my dear Ippoliti for 2 nights or more instead of one! Opa!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank CGodez
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Ippoliti hotel is generally a very good hotel, with very elegant decoration everywhere : the reception, the room, the small garden with the pool. The furniture in the room was very exceptional in my own opinion, I have read before going that the furniture is from Tuscany, it is indeed very impressive. The bed was of a great design, huge and very comfortable. I liked especially the way they had put the curtains in the room and the traditional windows. The bathroom was very good, only the bathtube was slippery in my own opinion, my partner didn't notice it but I had problem with this, though the bathtube was of a good quality it was a little slippery for me. The room and bathroom was clean enough , I had no problem with that , only the bath curtain - which was from Guy Laroche if I am not wrong - was very clean but a little wrinkled and also the small carpets in the room - also by Laroche - were clean but a little worn.I think these 2 things : the bath curtain and the carpets should have been replaced. The breakfast was good but not enough good for me, such a beautiful hotel should have a better breakfast. There were all the types of bread, small cheese pies, also omelettes with bacon and sausages, except the classical marmelades etc.
The hotel is in the heart of the old town of Nafplion, very close to the harbour where Bourtzi is etc and also it is close to Antica Gellateria de Roma, a famous ice cream shop in Nafplion.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2010

We'd stayed in Nafplio before at Pension Marianna, but wanted to stay elsewhere on return - somewhere a bit more comfortable and in the centre of things. We stumbled acroos Hotel Ippoliti almost by chance, and loved it.

The reception was so helpful in getting us a room that suited our needs (we had a 3 mth old baby), and bringing things to us. The room was so elegant, with lovely antiques, including a huge king size sleigh bed. Very nice indeed.

Only downside - the breakfast wasn't so good.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2010

The Ippoliti is in the gorgeous town of Nafplion, on a tiny and quiet street just near the water; perfect location. The building is elegant and nicely furnished. Breakfast was very good. There is also free wifi.

However we were disappointed in two respects: the bed had seen better days and spoiled our sleep. And the bathroom has only a tiny tub with a hand-held shower. For these prices we expected something better.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple