“Odd, but adorable hotel, absolutely made my stay in naplion”
Review of Ilion Hotel Suites

Ilion Hotel Suites
Ranked #26 of 38 Hotels in Nafplio
Reviewed July 27, 2009

Upon arrival in Naplion, after a long and rather un-glamorous bus ride for Athens, I took our bags and proceeded to walk up the steep hill that is the foundation for the nice part of this idyllic Greek village. I walked into the hotel we had confirmed on the phone and thought it to be a bit tacky and overpriced so, as I had not left a deposit, and it looked quite vacant, I walked out before checking in. My friend and I then walked around Naplion, heavy bags in hand, going to every hotel and pension around looking for the perfect room. Aside from the luggage, it was my idea of a perfect afternoon, and a great way to learn our way around. After a while, my friend got tired, and I took it upon myself to leave her at a cafe with the bags and continue the quest.
I arrived at the steep steps of the Ilion and saw the side of the building had many plaques and citations. It looked like someone's front porch, with humble little potted flowers and herbs scattered about. I was greeted by Madame Mimi, an adorable greek woman with very good english who owns the place with her husband. I didn't have much money, and it was the off season, so I asked her if she had anything for €50. She showed us to a beautiful little bungalow, overlooking the courtyard. I gladly accepted her offer and walked around labryinthine Naplion for an hour looking for my friend. She just about died when she saw the room. So kitschy, but gorgeous, antique furniture, murals, drapes around the bed, steam shower. A really one of a kind place. Breakfast was traditional greek hotel fare, very good fresh yogurt and honey, breads and jams and some cold cuts and cheeses. Hardly enough to leave an American full, but very good nonetheless. We stayed a few days and left missing the place. I've recommended it to many others since. I know the other rooms are more expensive, but the doors were open on the unnocupied ones, and they looked charming. I'll be going back soon. The restaurant they recommended (name escapes me) was great and affordable too, make sure to ask mimi, she said she eats there all the time.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank w0rldcritic
There are newer reviews for Ilion Hotel Suites

Reviewed September 6, 2007

We have traveled in Peloponnesus for 14 nights and my best and most comfortable stay was at the Ilion Hotel, in Nauplion.
Warmhearted welcome from the staff, ideal view, comfortable suite room with all modern amenities mixed with the beauty of the traditional decoration.
For 3 nights we have experienced a lovely stay, and ended our trip with lots of memories.
We strongly recommend the Ilion hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank chiara21
Reviewed June 13, 2007

The first weekend in June my husband and I stayed in the Ilion superior studio apartment.We had to climb approx 90 steps up to the door of the studio and then 16 more up to the room.There was no porter service and you could not park the car anywhere near.We arrived in the afternoon-3.00pm and it was very hot and an awful struggle to get our cases up to the hotel-the girl in reception was just lovely and kept saying how sorry she was about all the steps.We then got taken to our room and what a disappointment-it was old and it seriously needed a major face lift-the bathroom was the pits -the shower was a disgrace and impossible to move in as it was so small-I am not big at all and for my husband it was a major struggle.The bed was tiny -a very very small double bed and every time either of us turned in the bed we hit off each other.We had breakfast next morning and decided to eat in a restraunt next day as it was very poor.The town of Naplion was fablous and we had some great meals there.We went to see some other hotels in the town and they were much better-next time we will be staying elsewhere.Take my advice and stay in another hotel.

Stayed: June 2007
4  Thank sorchamarbella
Reviewed April 9, 2007

We booked our stay in this hotel in August 2006 for April 2007. I reconfirmed our reservation for the 2 level larger studio in October 2006. When we arrived for our stay, we discovered that our confirmed room had been given to another family which committed to a 3 night stay (we were only staying 2 nights). The owner/manager never said anything to me about the change (he claims there was a mistake and the suite was already booked when I booked it) and clearly hoped we would just accept the room he assigned to us. This room on a low floor was dark and starved for windows. There was limited sunlight available and absolutely no view. The bathroom was moldy and horrible. Even had there been a mistake made, there was ample time in the 8 plus months between our booking and arrival for them to have let us know. Instead, we arrived in Nafplion during the sold out Easter weekend with no option but to stay in this horrific room. In the twin bedded room there was only one legitamate (hard) bed, the other "bed" was a concave day bed which they tried to make into a bed by putting a blanket onto the so-called mattress to make it somewhat comfortable. It didn't work. While apologetic, and ultimately "comping" our room for the night we were there, the manager was unhelpful and did nothing but apologize. We spent a miserable night in the room getting little sleep and then ultimately, found another room outside the city with the help of the front desk clerk at the luxury Amfitryon hotel at the waterfront. In short, I do not believe this was a mistaken overbooking. I think that, because of the holiday weekend, Ilion had decided that they would prefer a 3 night booking instead of our 2 night commitment and decided they would take the chance with our displeasure. A truly horrible experience the upshot of which we spent many hours looking for alternative accomodation and being aggravated instead of enjoying the beautiful town of Nafplion.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank emannobro
Reviewed August 17, 2006

Nafplion is a lovely town and a great place to spend perhaps 3 days if you are touring the Peloponnese. Ilion is indeed a quirky place - rooms are decorated in a 'heavy' style, with murals and deep colours. Breakfast is served in a delightful way with tiny silver spoons in thick fruit jam whilst opera plays. And the staff could not be more helpful. However, I would caution anyone, for now anyway (August) if the option of booking a'suite' is suggested. These are in a separate building, up yet more steps and round corners, and the empty plot adjacent to the suites is currently being rebuilt. Thus drilling and banging and crashing starts at 8am. Our suite had a lovely view out over the port, but the noise did spoil our stay, as did the rubble and dust in the walkways between the suites and the main hotel. Beware anyone who is not relatively fit anyway - this hotel is an uphill/up-steps walk from the centre, and the nearest place to park a car is a good distance away.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank mummyjill
Reviewed July 22, 2006

We were upgraded to a wonderful room on the 3rd floor with painted ceilings, a lovely covered porch, large bathroom with jacuzzi. This is a very unusual hotel and a really fun experience. The staff are outstanding--very polite (every time we came down the stairs or in the front door, the person behind the desk stood up) and helpful. There are lots of steps to climb to get to the hotel (the back way cuts out a lot of them) and once you get inside (travel light!). The location is very convenient to restaurants, shops, and the lovely walk around the promenade. The breakfast was very nice too. Highly recommended.

We stayed 3 nights in Nafplion and took day trips to Corinth, Mycenae, and Epidauros. It's a lovely town and an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DonH
Reviewed July 17, 2006

My first trip to Greece was in July of 2006 and after staying in Athens for 3 days, we headed out to Nafplio. Our intent was to use Nafplio as a base for a few days and take day trips to nearby sites. The bus trip from Athens to Napfio was easy, fast and relaxing. Hotel Ilion is located just a couple of blocks from the bus station in a lovely old 3 story building. The hotel was decorated in a funky, romatic style and it marketed itself as a romatic destination, but we saw mainly families staying there. The rooms were comfortable and clean. Breakfast was included in the 100 euro price for the 3 of us in one room. Breakfast consisted of pastry, bread, yogurt, coffee, tea. The staff was very nice and accomodating. We stayed an extra day and they were able to accomodate us. Hotel Ilion is located within steps of the lovely marble town square, within a short walk of the sea and next to the fortress built into the cliffs surrounding the town. Nafplio was a charming town to use as a base to take day trips to Mycenea and Epidarius. The beach was a 5 minute walk away, but a nicer beach was a 40 minute walk.

• Stayed: July 2006