“looked better in photos”
Review of Ilion Hotel Suites

Ilion Hotel Suites
Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Nafplio
Reviewed September 24, 2012

It is a nice boutique hotel but the photos in internet look much better. The so called suites are not suites but ordinary rooms with some antique imitation furniture and paintings (not very successfully executed) on the ceilings and other places. Our room had a nice balcony too. Not all rooms have balcony. The Toilet was spacious with a Jacuzzi, but towels and bathrobes were very wearied. Breakfast was very nice, coffee was served in Limoges cups in a very cosy room and a small yard. At the price we booked the room 75euros/night was an excellent value but at the door price 180 euros is out of question. I might have rate it with 4 stars if the advertising was not misleading talking about suites but for medium size rooms (without a closet by the way). personally I don;t like fake antiques, I liked the engravings and the cinema pictures in the breakfast room I liked very much the breakfast and I strongly disliked the kits paintings of angels etc on the ceilings. Overall not bad

Room Tip: #33 is medium sized but it has a very nice balcony.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Ilion Hotel Suites

Reviewed June 1, 2012

We were staying in the hotel 2 nights in early June and found the place very charming. Sited right in the old town it helps you to feel the stmosphere of the place. It is a small hotel with just a several rooms on each floor, very interesting decoration. Each room is different in size slyle and decoration. We happen to knew that because the condition in our first room was running with a noise, so when we returned from our walk the staff (without any complain on our side) suggested that we could change the room and offered three options - so we had a chance to see four of the rooms. Finally we made a choice of a room which was smaller in size, but with a small terrace with a great view on the town.
The breakfast was very good, served in a kind of a small patio. There is no buffete breakfast, the food is placed on your table. But the atmosphere is great, it is really breakfast and not simple food consuming.
The place is not so easy to find. It is sited on the stairs of the small side running from bigger street - bigger by standarts of old town, but steel not big enough to fit two cars at the same time good wlking street with shops and restaurants (sorry, difficult to remember the name), the old town is like NY - parallel and perpendicular streets. It is easier to drive close to the hotel in the morning, but starting from daytime especially on weekends restaurants and shops fill of the strees so practically impossible to drive through. Local taxi drivers somehow manage it, but I prefered to leave my car on a free parking area in the port and walk about 5-10 minutes to the hotel. Actually the old town area is not very big - you walk fron one end to the other by 20 minutes.
Naphlion is a very interesting place with a lot of historic places and perfect views, gides will easily tell you more. But on my side just one advise - when you take a 1000 stairs walk to the Castle and happy when you reach the top, remember that you will soon need to go down :)
In general the hotel is a perfect option.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DimaPhantom
Reviewed April 30, 2011

I found out about this hotel from a book I had purchased called 'Unique places to stay in Greece' by Alastair Sawday, which gave it a good review. They actually described the decor as OTT, which is apparently acronym for 'over the top'! and I guess I’d have to agree. We took the bus from Athens, and on arrival in Nafplion, we decided to walk from the Bus Stop to the hotel, ( I don’t know how else you could get there actually) a distance of about 500 metres. While the first 480 metres were a quite easy walk on the flat, along Papanikolaou Street, the last 20 metres were up a very steep flight of stairs. My advice if you visit Nafplion is to travel light! Slightly out of breath, and sweating (it was a hot day) we found the hotel. The building itself is apparently over 300 years old and was originally built as the Mayors residence. The place is run by a very friendly, charming and slightly eccentric lady, ( in the nicest possible way) who’s name is η Κα. Mimi Papaioannou. On arrival, we were warmly greeted by the (Albanian?) receptionist, and given a choice of three different rooms. After being shown them all, we chose ‘Love and Soul’ on the top floor, ( no lift, so be aware you have to carry your cases up another three flights of stairs) as not only was it the largest room, it also had very nice views overlooking Napflio town and the bay from it’s three shuttered windows. The landing outside the room was similar to an anti room, with a large chaise lounge, and the walls decorated with framed paintings of nudes. What I’d imagine the waiting area of a very high class bordello to be like! ( see photo)
The décor of the room itself is like nothing else I had encountered before, filled with genuine antiques, and personal items of Madame Mimi’s. Even the telephone was antique, and it worked as well! And the ceiling of the room, was just amazing, and very unique ( see pictures) . There was also a TV in the room, a rather old fashioned 14 incher, but we never bothered to use it. Strangely, there was no wardrobe in the room, but rather, in one corner of room a tri-fold screen, with hand painted murals (again depicting naked or semi nude figures) which you hung your clothes behind from hooks on the wall.
The bed, a queen, was very comfortable, with a hand painted headboard depicting some romantic myth or other. ( A semi naked lady and an archer) The bathroom was huge, with three more shuttered windows, and it was nice that you could open the shutters to let both natural light in, as well as fresh air. As well as a single wash basin, and a toilet, it was dominated by a massive jaccuzzi bath. We never actually used this as a bath, but rather as a shower stall, using the hand held shower head. Both the bedroom and bathroom were very clean, and also cleaned thoroughly each day, something my wife is very fussy about.
As the weather was fine, we had breakfast in the small outside courtyard, and this was a most civilized affair, like something from the past. Firstly, all the crockery is the finest Limoge china, from teacups and saucers to plates etc. and fresh linen table cloths on the tables.
One of the Albanian maids makes you fresh tea of your choice in a teapot ( no tea bags here), and brings you freshly squeezed orange juice, along with fresh fruit and yoghurt, toast ,rolls, bread or croissants and home made marmalade, boiled eggs, cake etc. All of it absolutely delicious, in a quite unique atmospheric setting.
Every nook and cranny of the hotel itself is packed with paintings, murals, prints, objects’d art, curios and collectibles etc, all of it most interesting.
We stayed for three nights and we found the staff at the Illion very friendly and extremely helpful, especially Madame Mimi. She makes a special effort to make sure that everything is OK, and will go out of her way to help you. I don’t know whether it was just us, but we felt that we were treated more like friends than paying guests. There is free wifi internet available in the lounge/lobby/reception & breakfast area, but the signal was quite weak. However, Mimi used to let me use the computer behind the reception desk as it was a faster and more reliable connection. Mimi also used to the offer us a drink, her home made rose liqueur or an ouzo. When we left Nafplion she gave me a small bottle of ouzo as a present… something to drink on the bus, she said. She also used to help me with my Greek, teaching me some new words, not all of them ones you would find in a dictionary!
If you are the type that likes to stay at a Hilton, Sheraton ,Holiday Inn etc, you may not enjoy the quirkiness of this place. But if you are looking for someplace to stay for a few days that is very clean, very friendly, and very welcoming, and also relatively inexpensive, but absolutely unique and special, then you should try the Illion. We loved it, and if you are aware beforehand of it’s OTT character ( and characters!) I doubt you’ll be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank vendepac
Reviewed June 25, 2010

I was there in june. I found it in internet and i liked it. It's an old building so i can understand they can't do much. The bedrooms were comfortables but the bathrooms need a change immediatelly. The receptioniste was very kind and the service too. The breakfast was ok. But i found it alittle bit expensive for the facilities that offers.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank teisGreece
Reviewed July 27, 2009

Upon arrival in Naplion, after a long and rather un-glamorous bus ride for Athens, I took our bags and proceeded to walk up the steep hill that is the foundation for the nice part of this idyllic Greek village. I walked into the hotel we had confirmed on the phone and thought it to be a bit tacky and overpriced so, as I had not left a deposit, and it looked quite vacant, I walked out before checking in. My friend and I then walked around Naplion, heavy bags in hand, going to every hotel and pension around looking for the perfect room. Aside from the luggage, it was my idea of a perfect afternoon, and a great way to learn our way around. After a while, my friend got tired, and I took it upon myself to leave her at a cafe with the bags and continue the quest.
I arrived at the steep steps of the Ilion and saw the side of the building had many plaques and citations. It looked like someone's front porch, with humble little potted flowers and herbs scattered about. I was greeted by Madame Mimi, an adorable greek woman with very good english who owns the place with her husband. I didn't have much money, and it was the off season, so I asked her if she had anything for €50. She showed us to a beautiful little bungalow, overlooking the courtyard. I gladly accepted her offer and walked around labryinthine Naplion for an hour looking for my friend. She just about died when she saw the room. So kitschy, but gorgeous, antique furniture, murals, drapes around the bed, steam shower. A really one of a kind place. Breakfast was traditional greek hotel fare, very good fresh yogurt and honey, breads and jams and some cold cuts and cheeses. Hardly enough to leave an American full, but very good nonetheless. We stayed a few days and left missing the place. I've recommended it to many others since. I know the other rooms are more expensive, but the doors were open on the unnocupied ones, and they looked charming. I'll be going back soon. The restaurant they recommended (name escapes me) was great and affordable too, make sure to ask mimi, she said she eats there all the time.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank w0rldcritic
Reviewed September 6, 2007

We have traveled in Peloponnesus for 14 nights and my best and most comfortable stay was at the Ilion Hotel, in Nauplion.
Warmhearted welcome from the staff, ideal view, comfortable suite room with all modern amenities mixed with the beauty of the traditional decoration.
For 3 nights we have experienced a lovely stay, and ended our trip with lots of memories.
We strongly recommend the Ilion hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank chiara21
Reviewed June 13, 2007

The first weekend in June my husband and I stayed in the Ilion superior studio apartment.We had to climb approx 90 steps up to the door of the studio and then 16 more up to the room.There was no porter service and you could not park the car anywhere near.We arrived in the afternoon-3.00pm and it was very hot and an awful struggle to get our cases up to the hotel-the girl in reception was just lovely and kept saying how sorry she was about all the steps.We then got taken to our room and what a disappointment-it was old and it seriously needed a major face lift-the bathroom was the pits -the shower was a disgrace and impossible to move in as it was so small-I am not big at all and for my husband it was a major struggle.The bed was tiny -a very very small double bed and every time either of us turned in the bed we hit off each other.We had breakfast next morning and decided to eat in a restraunt next day as it was very poor.The town of Naplion was fablous and we had some great meals there.We went to see some other hotels in the town and they were much better-next time we will be staying elsewhere.Take my advice and stay in another hotel.

Stayed: June 2007