“Was OK. But can't recommend to others.”

Private Day Sailing with Captain Aris
More attraction details
Owner description: A yacht available to you for day sailing trip, sailing instruction, or extended sailing cruise.
Reviewed August 4, 2013

You're on a sailboat, learning how to sail and in GREECE. How can you NOT have fun?! For the most part, we did have a good time on the boat. It was stressful and tense at times, due to Cpt Aris' rough way of communicating. Sometimes he'd yell at us, 'you're not doing it right, boy!!!', without actually telling us how it's supposed to be done. Like another reviewer said, he's a bit of a flirt, but maybe a little too much where it can get uncomfortable, depending on how much you can tolerate. Bring your own lunch and drinks as they're not provided. Also bring sunscreen and wear a pair of running shoes or anything with grip and covers your toes. Capt Aris is a heavy smoker but at your request, he will smoke less or not at all. If you're a non-smoker, seeking to enjoy the fresh ocean air, I'd strongly advise the 'not smoke at all' option.

Sailing in Greece is an above average activity and a must-do as it offers a different way of seeing the coasts and waters. Sailing with Capt. Aris was however just average and if given a chance to do it again, I'd seek out another boat charter service and recommend my friends to skip this one.

4  Thank NHYL
There are newer reviews for Private Day Sailing with Captain Aris

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I wanted to take my husband sailing for his birthday so us and another couple booked a day sail trip with Aries out of Poros. My husband and the other couple never sailed and wanted to learn. Well learn they did!! My husband felt like a rich Kennedy behind the wheel. We raised the sails and hoisted the masts. We sailed over to a small island which was an animal refuge, stopped in the cove and had the traditional Greek lunch. We lived in Greece at the time but this lunch was like manna! We had the beautiful green water below us where you could see down to the floor of the ocean, the beautiful hills with goats and the ambience of the Greek Isles. The food, the wine, the company made for a perfect moment in life. On our way back the sun was setting between these huge rocks and peaks coming out of the ocean with the golden glimmer on the waters. It is a memory that will stay with me forever.

I am a travel agent so after I returned to the states I sent quite a few people to Aris as they wanted to do something completely unique and Greek on their journey. Everyone came back telling me it was the best part of their trip.

Aris is a the kind of Greek that legends are made of! Friendly, sweet, welcoming and a bit of a flirt! He is also a friend and I value that friendship very much. He even wears the traditional Greek sailors hat which my husband had to have one of after the sailing. A MUST DO!!!!

2  Thank Paula C
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I was on a solo excursion of the Peloponnese and came across Captain Aris' website before arriving in Nafplio. It told me everything that I needed to know about sailing for a day, and I was able to contact Aris via email. He asked me to stop by his ship on the day before I wished to go sailing, and I did. I gave him my information (used only for coastguard paperwork) and negotiated a fair 'down payment'.
We headed out the next morning and he proved to be very knowledgeable about everything nautical. I learned about the technical side of sailing along the way and I drove the vessel almost the entire time. We stopped for lunch in a small bay and the swimming was very relaxing. Captain Aris is very willing to let you decide how you wish to spend your day on the boat. I'd recommend this to anyone who has a free day in Nafplio and wants to learn about sailing in Greece.

2  Thank Adam D
Reviewed November 28, 2010

Some friends and I spent a day with captain Aris while traveling with our study abroad group and had a great time! He taught us all alot about sailing and took us to some of the most beautiful and interesting places that I've been! It was great fun and relaxing at the same time! A perfect way to spend a free day in Nafplion!

3  Thank miltovm0
Reviewed July 7, 2010

During my first trip to Nafplio five years ago, I met Captain Aris and signed on to take a daily cruise. What an exhilarating experience! The day passed so quickly because we were learning how to "see" the wind, how to trim the sails, how to steer, how to jibe, and how to dive off the seat platform at the prow with the Captain's expert advice. Everyone took turns honing their newly discovered skills at the various tasks. Anchor was set in a pristine and private location for the lunch, swimming, and sunbathing in the middle of the cruise. Snorkle gear was supplied to those who wished to view the underwater scenery - another landscape as rugged as what is found above, only in shades of blues and greens with sunbeams turning schools of fish into silver flashes against the dramatic background. Sailing back, we reinforced what we had learned in the morning.

I have returned to Nafplio every year for five years and have gone on countless cruises with Captain Aris and his clients, who are from all over the world and of every age. I have watched children proudly wenching the lines and families learning and working together to sail to an unknown destination to be determined by the ever-changing winds.

So, if you love the sea or wish to overcome any fears of it, and love being closer to the water only hearing the wind on the sails, and desire to learn the rudiments of sailing, I highly recommend this cruise. The cost is reasonable, too.

3  Thank MariaFranceTravels