“The place has it all...”
Review of Anniska & Liakoto

Anniska & Liakoto
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Kardamili
Reviewed August 17, 2009

When you go on holiday, you want everything to be right - the hotel, the location, the weather, the scenery - and are the kids happy! This place had it all. We stayed in Liakoto, with pool (our room looking out over the sea). The hotel was welcoming, clean and comfortable. It's just two minutes round the corner to the sister hotel, Anniska, which has a great terrace for that evening drink looking out over the sea. The owners and staff were friendly and nothing was too much bother. Within a short stroll was a good choice of tavernas and cafes. (I'd not expected much choice in the culinary department, but was pleasantly surprised). There is a lot of freedom for children here; it's relaxed and a safe place for kids to explore. The surrounding area is very beautiful, with dramatic mountain views and a choice of other nice beaches if you want to venture further than Kardamyli itself. Not essential to hire a car, but certainly much to look at if you do.

3  Thank BWomanLondon

Reviewed August 16, 2009

I stayed at Liakoto in June 09 with friends and family and I doubt my review will be able to do justice to how wonderful it was. Our apartment was absolutely superb - spacious, comfortable, tastefully decorated and clean, with private balconies and views straight out to both the sea and mountains.

Kardamyli is one of the loveliest places I have been - a peaceful and unspoilt village which retains its character whilst having all necessary amenities for visitors - and Anniska/Liakoto is the jewel in its crown. The owners, Gerry and Ilia, could not have been more hospitable and helpful to our group and the whole week was a perfect way to celebrate my 50th birthday. The apartments are self catering (there are 3 or 4 well-stocked shops nearby selling fresh foods as well as supermarket staples, and a fabulous bakery for fresh bread and pastries daily) but we were pleasantly surprised to find drinks and olive oil waiting for us in our apartment when we arrived.

One couple in our group stayed at Anniska and had an equally wonderful stay. The two hotels are more of less adjacent and guests can freely use the facilities at both - e.g. the Pool at Liakoto and drinks terrace (the best place I can think of to watch the sunset!) at Anniska.

Kardamyli itself has easy sea swimming from a choice of beaches (if you can tear yourself away from the lovely pool at Liakoto - spotless, warm and inviting) as well as mountain walks and lots of places to eat and drink - try Kastro, a restaurant just on the edge of the village, or Lela's just around the corner from Anniska.

Overall I can't recommend Liakoto highly enough and will definitely be back asap. To sum up, one friend who arrived before me (she flew to Kalamata, I travelled from the UK by train and ferry - another great experience, by the way) texted on arrival to say 'Where are you? We're in heaven!). My feelings entirely on this wonderful place.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank traintravellerLondon
Reviewed August 4, 2009

We were recommended the Mani and Kardamyli by some friends who had been several times and found the Liakoto through tripadvisor. We chose it over the Anniska as the 2 bed appartment was ideal for us and our two teenagers. We booked direct as it seemed unavailable through operators and we found that BA flights to Athens were half the price of those to Kalamata. Drive down took 4 and half hours and was fine. Kardamyli is wonderful and you have sense of living alongside the locals rather than in a tourist resort. There is however everything you want, about ten tavernas to eat in evenings - we tried all and Lelas was in our opinion by far the best (book or get there by 8 for a table). Dinner for four with drinks, plenty of wine and a starter to share such as tzasiki and a main course is about 50 -60 euros.Local water is perfectly drinkable and most wine is open (in carafes) the only thing which is 'cheap' and also very drinkable - especially the rose. The supermarkets are very expensive so take coffee and tea etc from UK. Best place for lunch and after dinner coffee etc is large cafe on high street with fans on the wall - alot of locals also go there for breakfast but we bought ours from the wonderful bakery.
Liakoto is good, apartment was comfortable but basic and I suspect the newly refurbished Anniska is a bit more plush e.g. we had a tv which had only greek channels and poor reception whilst friends at the Anniska had Sky and DVD s available at reception. The pool area is lovely - when it is quiet but at times it became crowded with lots of children with very large inflatables - one dad even bought his son a dinghy with paddles to teach him to row! The main reason we would not go back is that the pool is shut between 3 and 6pm for siesta. We have never found this anywhere else and when we had been sightseeing in relative cool of morning and out for lunch it was frustrating to sit by the pool reading and not beable to use it. I think the hotel should put this on their website. There is a small stony beach nearby with ladder access to the sea which is lovely although you should take wetshoes as there are many sea urchins. Weather was a very nice 33-34 when we first arrived but the last day or so it reached 40. Air con at hotel is excellent though. We had two weeks and there is no shortage of places to visit, dont miss Ancient Messene the other side of Kalamata and the new archaelogical museum in Kalamata housing alot of the finds, Kitries for lunch - but be careful of cost of fish which is priced by kilo. We had one which hardly fed two of us and it was 22 uk pounds! Best guide I found was on Amazon and called Inside the Mani, dont wait to buy it in the village as it three times the price in the bookshop. Unfortunately we found most of the churches and monastries locked and the key unavailable. Take mossy spray for evenings. We were left a welcome drink in fridge and some tea and coffee sachets but nothing else so, if like us you arrive late buy some milk on the way to Kardamyli so you can have a drink in the morning. I feel very lucky to have spent time in this area of Greece, in particular Kardamili but would recommend going a bit earlier in the year whilst the children are in school and it is a bit cooler.

Reviewed August 2, 2009

I really enjoyed my stay at Anniska, the apartment was very nice, good air conditioning - and I loved the pool ! And the sea was nice too. We swam to Snake Island - we didn't see any snakes - but it was a very nice swim ! The people we met there were very nice, and welcoming, I really liked staying there and I hope we can go again !

3  Thank HolidaysYes
Reviewed July 29, 2009

My wonderful stay at the Anniska last year has prompted me to book the Liakoto this year - a first for me – in 20 years of travel this is the first time I am going back to the same place. It is perfect, idyllic and everything you could wish for from a week's break (the hotel and the village). So much so it has taken me 12 months to build up the courage to write this review - I am keen to keep it my secret. So if you go, don't tell too many people about it ... I plan on going back for many years to come.

Leilas (down the lane) is the perfect place to eat, the Anniska is the perfect place to relax over a beer/wine overlooking the most amazing sunsets and aqua sea, and the village of Kardamili is just the most idyllic Greek village to wander through - take a good book, a camera and great expectations - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TravelswithMike
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Two weeks after arriving home I still can't get Kardamyli out of my mind - nor Liakoto, where my friend and I stayed. The Anniska/Liakoto complex combines the freedom of an apartment holiday with the cosiness of the very nicest kind of hotel. Everything a work-weary guest could possibly want has been thought of by charming and tireless owner-managers Ilia and Gerry.

Kardamyli itself is a picturesque, friendly and bohemian village by the bay of Messinia, at the bottom of a twisting mountain road. There are plenty of pretty shops and tavernas and you can quickly familiarise yourself with the area. The village and hotel are perfect locations for anyone who wants to unwind, swim, sunbathe, sail, read, think, sip wine, plan dinner ... and simply dream that life could be this good all the time.

(PS: the home-made cherry cheesecake in Anna's Cafe in the village deserves a paragraph to itself).

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank Gerbera09
Reviewed July 25, 2009

The perfect place from which to enjoy the beauty of The Mani. Liakoto is tucked away down a quiet road facing the sea. Our rooms were elegant and spacious, with the sea on one side, and the mountains on the other. French windows open onto a small terrace from the bedroom and the living area - a perfect place to have breakfast, an evening drink, or just listen to the sea and be mesmerized by its endless turquoise shimmer. There are bathrobes, and luxurious Korres bath lotions and gels, and a small kitchen area, well-stocked with all you need for cooking a meal or just preparing something simple with cheeses, fruit and vegetables from the nearby village shop and bakery. Liakoto also has a beautiful swimming pool, with a view of the mountains all around it, loungers and beach towels - you couldn't ask for more! And if this wasn't enough, you'll find Gerry and Illia the perfect hosts. They will give you the warmest welcome to their hotel and the village community of Kardamyli - I stayed just a week and felt part of this place. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited. The staff are local, all very helpful and friendly, with a real pride in giving the best possible service. This is a real gem of a place to stay - I am planning on returning many more times!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank PerditaLondon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kardamili
Vardia Hotel
#2 of 9 in Stoupa
Horizon Blu
Horizon Blu
#1 of 21 in Kalamata

Been to Anniska & Liakoto? Share your experiences!