“One of the best in town”
Review of Sirocco Taverna

Sirocco Taverna
Ranked #14 of 52 Restaurants in Plakias
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Sirocco is a traditional Cretan taverna located in Plakias right next to the beach with wonderful sea view. It is a family run taverna with great atmosphere, exceptional and friendly service. Ours guests can enjoy a variety of unique Cretan tastes and all kinds of wine in very reasonable prices.The location of Sirocco taverna in Plakias is ideal for our guests to enjoy their meals away from the noise of the down-town with the amazing view of the sunset over the bay of Plakias.
Reviewed October 6, 2013

During our stay in Plakias, we visited Sirocco several times, and had both lunch and dinner there. We were never disappointed by the food, which was excellent without exceptions. The personnel were very friendly and professional, but there was a certain lack of the personal contact that can be experienced in so many Greek tavernas. The impression was more of a good restaurant than of a greek taverna, if that is understandable.

Sunday evening there was live music by a band far better then the average taverna musicians we have heard, and the female singer also had a belly dance (!) show.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Very confused as to how this taverna came to be number one. There are at least 3 others that are better. I had chicken which was drowned in a large puddle of greasy sauce where you could see the oil floating on top. The chips that managed to save themselves were nice but most drowned in the sauce. The service was not particularly friendly or efficient. When I gave up on my meal, I covered my plate with my napkin to indicate that I was finished and because I could not look at the food anymore. The waiter looked directly at it and then walked past. Maybe chicken is not the best example as not classically Greek but I didn't see anything that motivated me to return and try something more typical.

3  Thank GeorgeM1974
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Four of us went on our next to last night on holiday. Lured by the menu and live Greek music. We reserved a table. What a good night, we all had different things off the menu, all were cooked to perfection.The prices were very reasonable. The staff were all very friendly. The entertainment probably the best I have seen in a Greek restaurant for a long, long time. Lefteris..brilliant bazouki player...Gogo...what a fabulous voice, and dancer...not forgetting Andreas on keyboards. Being members of a Greek dancing group in UK we naturally joined in with the locals, and did our own " bit "
Wish we had found this place earlier in our short stay, but the memories will stay for a long long time

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We decided to give current TripAdvisor #1 choice a try and were very satisfied. The ambience is nice, with a good open aspect over the sea; the food is tasty, and the service is friendly and polite, if a little reserved.

We had a good melitizanasalata, with walnuts (a traditional addition not included in most taverna versions); one swordfish souvlaki, from the specials; one chicken souvlaki; and two meso-kilos of aspro. The swordfish was excellent on all counts: fresh and beautifully cooked. The chicken was a little odd, being wrapped in bacon, which kept the fillet meat moist, but is not very Greek; it came with a splash of lemon sauce, which was a bit odd, but not unpleasant. The wine was usual house-white standard, which we like.

The complimentary dessert was a homemade banana cream with some trifle-like sponge: delicious and refreshing. Digestivs were a glass of raki (for a man) and of limoncello (for a woman: a nice touch if a little 'pub landlord' - "something fruit-based for the lady"!)

Prices are competitive.

1  Thank Pedro_on_Tour
Reviewed September 10, 2013

So we decided with fellas to enjoy some quality dinner @Plakias and we followed advices @tripadvisor to visit Sirocco Taverna. Things could not have gone any worse. We ordered 3 different starters and we should have left thereafter because that food was simply disgusting. Not even close to be fresh ingredients at all. The olive oil was a joke - it tasted like motor oil. So starters were hardly beatable but the main dishes did the job. I refused to continue with my meal, chicken souvlaki with bacon, after few bites. You can do SO MUCH BETTER in Plakias than eating @this place, srsly.

4  Thank LuQ84
Eri M, Owner at Sirocco Taverna, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

My husband and I are happy you have dinned at our taverna.
The food at Sirocco taverna is prepared fresh to order with the best ingredients of Cretan cuisine while our Cretan olive oil comes from our farms and is of the best quality!
We are very sorry to hear that the plates you ordered were not of your preference.
We do invite you to try us out again, and we will be happy to help you choose dishes that may better suit your tastes.
Eri & Fanis