“A really nice hotel but a tad too hot!”

WellnessHotel Schoenruh
Ranked #21 of 58 Hotels in Seefeld in Tirol
Keighley, United Kingdom
“A really nice hotel but a tad too hot!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

We've recently returned from a week here and had only one day of rain which is great for the mountains and excellent for walking. The hotel is located almost opposite the golf academy and it's an easy, short stroll into town.

The reception staff were excellent all week, happy to help whenever asked.

We paid extra through Crystal for a recent room in what I think they class as the Residence wing which appears to be a relatively new addition at the back and to the side of the main building.

The room was a slightly odd shape with what seemed to be the eaves intruding between the windows on the left and the balcony doors on the right. They had squeezed a 2 seater couch and table into this space which felt a rad claustrophobic.

There was a desk and chair in the far left and a wardrobe and a couple of
cupboards so sufficient storage room. The usual Austrian twin bed, a separate loo and a large bathroom with bath, walk-in shower and double vanity. Outside was the smallest balcony I've ever seen that held a little table, two chairs and nothing else as there was no more room.

The windows all faced South so had full sun in them all afternoon. Even leaving the windows/balcony door open and the curtains closed couldnt stop the temperature reaching boiling point and it really was far too hot to sleep on several nights!!

Frankly some of the older rooms appeared to have as much if not more space, much larger balconies and be much cooler so I'd think twice about paying the extra. Perhaps liaising directly with the hotel might be advisable first?

The breakfast buffet was large although the omelettes were poor and the area where the juices were was constantly sticky as half the clientele seemed unable to pour a glass without pouring some on the floor!!

Dinner was usually 5 or 6 courses. Good was not quite as good as the Alpenpark where we've stayed before. Our waiter was attentive but not a great communicator.

The pool was nice with an area with water jets to ease aching muscles. There's a very small outdoor pool upstairs and a further outdoor bio-pool at the side of the hotel. This was a great place to sunbathe but as access was from the front of the hotel, it meant going through reception and the bar in a state of undress, not ideal!

Buffet lunch was very disappointing. One hot dish which was ok some days, soup and salad which normally consisted of the leftovers from the previous nights dinner. The cakes were very good though.

Overall we enjoyed it but I would think twice about that room again, especially in the summer.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ipswich, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

Was upgraded here from a sister hotel next door and found the hotel exceptional, really good food, very clean, exceptionall helpfull staff and excellent pools, hot tubs, didn't try any of the wellness treatments though - not my scene.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank RowlandT
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

The staff at the Schoenruh are very helpful and friendly, despite my poor attempts at speaking Deutsch.

The spa area and pool is lovely (bring your flip flops so you can walk back to your room in the bathrobe provided), the jacuzzi was heavenly after a tough day skiing.

The food was great, a large buffet breakfast was available, then between 1-4 pm a snack buffet was served ( you need to buy your drinks though), and on an evening, a large dinner. It did feel a little strange having to select the dishes at breakfast time.

The room we were in was 157, it was a little dated in decor, with an old CRT television, and a Juliet balcony looking out into a courtyard area. However, it was very clean and tidy. The bathroom appeared to have been recently updated, and was very nicely finished.

The hotel is about 10 minutes walk from the Cross Country ski school, but across the road there is a blue cross country loipe on the golf course which is good for practice.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kitty_karate
Derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

We stayed here for a week at the beginning of January.My husband and i had room number 1 which is in the reception area, a new room (which we had paid extra fo), our 2 daughters and boyfriens had rooms in the old part of the hotel which were quite dated (we knew this when booking). My 78 yearold mother had a new single room. We were all happy with our rooms because we knew exactly what we had booked.
I didn't use the pool or spa but my daughters did and loved it. The meals were fantastic and couldn't fault anything about it.
Unfortunately, wherever you stay in Seefeld you need to get the ski bus to get around. One of our party was having lessons in one areawhile we were skiing across town at a different area, which can be tricky to meet up at lunch. The buses were always on time and never full (bus stop a 3 minute walk from hotel). We all thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Schonruh and Seefeld. Agood place for low intermediates.

Room Tip: Pay for a new room.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lauralou911
Pontefract, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

Firstly can i say that as a very regular traveler around Europe and having stayed in many good quality Hotels. this is the first time i have ever felt the need to write a review on this site. We arrived at the hotel by car on New Year's eve, I had some difficulty accessing the hotel as cars were parked right up to the front steps. On enquiry I was told that there was nowhere to park, however after some conversation a place was found for us in the underground car park, at a cost of 4 euro’s per night. We were then taken to our rooms, my husband and I were in room number 255, my daughter 253. Beware that the hotel seems to change the room numbers though. Entering the room I felt I was stepping back 25 years or so, the decor was very outdated with old furnishings, old fashioned wall paper, in places leaving the walls. The guilt edged pictures, rusty radiator, old chair, a mirrored fridge which also served as the t.v. stand, a bathroom 20 years out of date, complete with cracked sink, was not what I expected to find in an Austrian hotel of this class. The bedroom and bathroom were also very small. After taking a shower I stepped into the bedroom to get dry as there was not enough room in the bathroom, I am 5' 6" and 11 stone! After complaining at reception we were told we had only booked a 'superior double, which is what we had been given, to call these rooms superior is a gross exaggeration. My daughter's room 253 was as bad. My son who was flying in was given a room at the other side of the hotel, it may as well have been another hotel, his beautifully furnished room (108) was a world away from the shabby rooms in the older part of the hotel. Things however were about to get a whole lot worse when around 1am on New Year's day we went to bed, room 255 is directly over the kitchen, which seems to run on trolleys which were pushed around most of the night, access to the kitchen is through a sliding door, again underneath room 255. These rooms should not be let out, certainly not for Schoenruh prices, they are old fashioned shabby noisy rooms that should not be in use, the sheets were well worn and in parts developing holes, the small towels again were well worn, together with the bath robes.
After two sleepless night we were able to up-grade to another room, for another 32 euro's per night we were given a beautifully decorated room, with a large walk in shower, a large bed and everything you would expect from a 4 star Austrian hotel.
On New Year's eve there were more people booked into the hotel than the staff could cater for, we waited for an hour between courses, at which point we gave in and went to the bar. The gala dinner we were told was formal dress, after buying my son a dinner suit I wasn't impressed to see some people in jeans, cords and polo's. So if you are planning a new year break at this hotel don't bother with the 'formal' dress code.
At some point on new years eve a broken glass and tissues were put into one of the Christmas decorations at the front of the hotel, it was still there three days later. Knowing what a good internet service there is in Austria I was surprised that I had to pay 1 euro for 10 minutes use.
Unfortunately my son's flight was diverted because of heavy snow, so after eating during the morning at Manchester airport he was rather hungry by the time he arrived at the hotel at 11.15pm. It took me three attempts to get him some food.
On the plus side, the Dinning room/Kitchen manager Annika was really helpful, my daughter has a lot of food allergies and she took a great deal of time and trouble to see that these were catered for, the bar staff also were very friendly and efficient. It is just a petty that the Karlschmidt family put profit before customer care and let out rooms that are not fit for the purpose. If you intend staying in this hotel firstly make sure you are guaranteed a room in the new part or you will be severely disappointed

Room Tip: Only accept a room in the newer front part of hotel. The Hotel as a Whole is actually 2 Hotels Joine...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Linda M
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

The price alone was worth the stay at this beautiful location. Just 70 euros a night which included full board. The room was huge and impeccably clean, the food was a 5 course extravaganza every night and the location is absolutely idyllic. The staff in the spa were all lovely and very professional. I feel very lucky to have had the opportunity to spend some time here and now I very much look forward to returning.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank ohsevenphive
ashkelon israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

We stayed 6 nights-september 2010-me and my wife.Had a package that included HB -they gave us a complimentary lunch every day!Nice hotel-nice people-nice place!Swimming pool-indoor and outdoor-sauna also.The room large and clean.very good food-dinner with a lot of choices-good service from the staff.You receive also bathrobes from the hotel.Very close to city center-5-10 minutes walk.Seefeld is a small town but has everything you need-shops-restaurants-sport center .

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple