“Excellent Value”

Ranked #26 of 58 Hotels in Seefeld in Tirol
Liss
“Excellent Value”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I’m another extremely satisfied customer who visited the Alpina through Inghams in the last week of September. Just to set the background we paid (for the two of us) £808 for flight from Gatwick, transfers and a superior room.

The room was equipped with a big bathroom, a large sitting area and a comfy bed. It was cleaned well every day.

The restaurant was light and airy. The food (buffet breakfast and evening meal) was of good quality and variety. Wine with evening meal was free of charge and quality was more than acceptable. Packed lunches were available and these were free of charge as well.

Talking of wine my wife and I like a glass of prosecco or similar before our evening meal. But only when the head barman arrived after two days off did they find some!

Staff were invariably polite and helpful.

I can’t comment on the swimming pool. I didn’t go anywhere near it!

3 Thank michaeljohnmills

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Greek first
Pune, India
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Alpina in January 2012, when I went with my university on a field trip to observe the first ever Winter Youth Olympics held at Innsbruck and Seefeld. The hotel is very nice property with very friendly staff, great food and an Indoor pool and a Sauna. I dont know if there were any other facilities outside, but because of the snow we could not see them or even use them. The indoor pool was very nice and lot of fun to use. The staff is limited but very courteous and very friendly. Our deal included breakfast and dinners. The food was excellent, limited menu options, meat lovers would love it, but there were options for vegetarians and also people who dont eat all types of meat. Rooms I saw of two types, the road facing rooms for bigger and more spacious with the balcony, that was shared with 3 of us and the other rooms were smaller and didnt have a balcony and was shared with 2 people. A 5-10 minute walk to the city centre and the same distance to the cross-country starting point or the Alpine Ski lifts. Hotel had internet service on chargeable basis. Overall a great place to stay, not over priced, Good place to go since you just need to come back and have a nice meal and sleep. The day should be used to seeing the beautiful country side or also going skiing, depending on when you go, has basic facilities and amenities, but has the comfort and luxury none the less.

Room Tip: Choose a road facing with the balcony, its spacious and has a nice view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank apurvaseth
kent, UK
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last week in September as part of an Inghams late booking deal that gave fantastic value for money. Other recent reviews have covered most points well, so I will be brief. The hotel was super clean in all areas that we encountered, the catering, overall, was fine. Swimming pool top notch. The one strange thing that struck us was, there seemed to be nobody actually "in charge" of the place - just a rotation of the young smiley faced staff that we gradualy met as the holiday progressed. It seemed that the hotel was run from some remote point with daily shipped in staff (in fact we know that, as our week was the last before the hotel closed for the season, most if the staff were heading back home to Hungary, Slovenia and other nearby countries). However, the hotel gave the sort of aura that it was "family run" - nothing wrong with that but just not the case.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank billybkent_UK
Horley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Just back from a weeks holiday at the Hotel Alpina, booked through Inghams.
Whilst the bedroom was a little 'tired' it was clean and spacious. We found that all the staff were extremely nice, polite & helpful creating a lovely family atmosphere throughout the hotel.
The food was plentiful & of high quality. Packed lunches were provided without question and in fact we received one for our journey home! Afternoon tea/coffee with home made cakes also provided and went down well by all the guests.
Our fellow guests were really nice and the weather was just perfect.
Would have no hesitation in staying here again.

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for a room at the front of the hotels as they look over the mountains.
4 Thank Paul_Ann_11
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

After reading some very negative reviews about the Alpina we went wondering what on earth we were going too!!....Our reply to the negatives are what do these people want?? Ok! When we arrived I was a little disappointed because we were given the keys to a room at the back of the hotel after requesting and paying extra for a room at the front with a balcony and after reading reviews about the dark rooms at the back I felt a little cheated!! But how surprised were we when we opened it all up via the patio door onto a decked terrace with our own table and chairs yes they could do more with the trees and shrubs at the back but it's so peaceful and yes it was a little dark but having listening to fellow guests some of which were at the front they all said the same,i loved the pool and the afternoon coffee and cakes was treat too, staff were lovely some understood the English language better than others but always passed the time of day and interested on what we had planned for the day and couldn't do enough for you, the food was plenty and always hot with a veggie choice ,a fish choice and a meat dish, endless salad and soup starters and the free drinks were welcomed throughout your meal,the packed lunches were always welcomed too as my husband is a type1 diabetic so when we were on one of our many walks there was no worry's about rapidly dropping blood sugars and if you 're clever the lunches needn't be the same old,same old we added boiled eggs/ sausage from breakfast or replaced the cheese/ham with the pâté or jams, we,ve been asked a few times would we go back the answer is most definitely and we would book the same room too (33), all in all a good value for money!!

Room Tip: Go for room with a terrace rather than a balcony they both proved dark but the ones on the terrace a...
1 Thank jeanjeanie58
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

On the face of it, reviewing the Alpina should be straightforward. It is, after all, a three-star, that most unambiguous of star-rating for holiday accommodation. As I though came to find out, there was nothing straightforward about the Alpina, with some areas of what it offered straying into four-star territory but others in the neglected long-grass of two-star mediocrity.

Firstly, I will state that my experiences of the eccentric collection of fellow travellers in the hotel, all British and on a similar Inghams Lakes and Mountains deal to myself, will not be allowed to cloud my judgement of this appraisal, nor will the at times the dire weather. Both these things are of course outside the hotel's control and subsequently are not pertinent points on which to base my review.

On arrival, I noted the outside of the hotel looking a tad jaded, much as I myself felt after the overzealous security-ministrations of the Manchester Airport staff. Seefeld though is very close to Innsbruck Kranebitten airport; the short-transfer therefore somewhat mitigates the early start and airport stresses. My fellow arrivers were greeted with a slightly-shabby facade, where the Alpina lettering on the front looked likely to fall off at any moment. The hotel is off-centre but again, this cannot be taken into consideration when evaluating the hotel: the Inghams brochure states the Alpina is subtly out of town; if you haven't done your research regarding this issue, tough.

Once the formalities of room-allocation had been dealt with by a personable, bilingual young lady, I was somewhat disappointed with my room. It was on the back of the hotel which admittedly wasn't an issue as it overlooked a copse where squirrels were observed. I was though sold a room with a terrace, which sounded quite grand and promising at the time of purchase. In reality though, the terrace was a rotting piece of decking built into the hillside, with no security afforded from neighbouring rooms. Whilst this didn't bother me, I can imagine it would be an issue for others. The decking looked to be turning black in areas where the sun never reached it, especially as none of it was protected from the elements and water dripping off the pine trees. It therefore made sitting out on the "terrace" to be nigh on impossible, unless you were prepared to get very wet.

A previous reviewer of the Alpina has posted pictures on Trip Advisor showing the light-fitting hanging alarmingly from the ceiling, with exposed wires clearly showing. I would've hoped that somebody from the Seefeld Marcati-empire would monitor the reviews of their establishments and rectify such glaring issues accordingly. Alas, it would seem that not to be the case. However, this is where the contradictions start to show their hands: the room was a dedicated single and unlike many I have stayed in elsewhere in the past it was cosy, had ample room and a comfy armchair. I also found the large table to be helpful when spreading out my walking map. The bathroom, whose presence of a bathtub was a huge bonus, was in a tired but predominantly clean state. I noted the Eastern European chambermaids to be assiduous in their approach to servicing the room on a daily basis. The bedroom furniture in keeping with the recurring theme was tired but clean. For a walking holiday, I didn't expect or want a suite of rooms but somewhere clean and comfortable to repose; I broadly found this to be the case.

The public-areas of the hotel pushed the Alpina temporarily into four-star territory. Whilst the indoor swimming-pool was small it was indeed perfectly formed, clean, and, very well-patronised. I would also say the same about the sauna. The hotel should indeed be given credit for the quality and cleanliness of these facilities. The swimming-pool opened out onto a pleasing grassy-slope where Marcati-branded deckchairs could be used to while the hours; on a clear day, the Rosshuette lift and Seefelderjoch were easily observable from the comfort of your own chair, although interacting with the mountains was more preferable to me than staring wistfully at them.

The dining-area was of a pleasing standard, notwithstanding the bizarre and at times obtrusive piped-music which stopped and started in a a la Norman Collier broken-microphone style. It did though lend an air of endearing eccentricity to the proceedings, albeit mostly lost on the identikit, personality-lite British diners in the restaurant. The one downside was that the bar was not worthy of the name but drinks could be taken into a shabby back-room, which although mostly used by Inghams for their welcome-meetings, was not fit for purpose and a definite afterthought. Again though, it was clean.

The food, unswervingly buffet-style, again at times promised much, sometimes delivered but more often than not failed to do so. The breakfasts were standard Austrian affairs: the usual cheeses, salami, rolls and bread(including a welcome loaf of glutten-free Rye bread), yoghurt, cereal, teas, coffee and juices. In the main, no complaints, although as a personal preference I prefer individual yoghurt pots, if only to negate potential hygiene-issues with all the guests sharing the same ladle. But, the Alpina obviously made every effort to balance the home-from-home desires of its British patrons by proving egg, bacon and porridge, whilst staying true to Austrian-sensibilities and providing a 'when in Austria' element. I applaud that thoughtfulness.

Prosaic packed-lunches were provided on a daily basis. On the plus side I would congratulate the Alpina for asking on a daily basis whether one wanted a packed lunch and then bringing it to the table. There were no assumptions that if you had one one day you would require it the next. This would also make sense regarding wastage. The packed-lunches were ordinary affairs and not to everybody's taste but with the all-inclusive cake and coffee offered between 3-5 everyday, one could, in theory at least, get by without purchasing food or drink elsewhere. I believe, as the Alpina didn't provide an alternative to the packed-lunch, in other words offering patrons the chance to dine in for their lunch, it couldn't be classed as full-board. Indeed, Inghams styled it as a somewhat nebulous, at least to unwitting travellers, as Half-Board Plus. The complimentary cake was at times the leftover gateaus from the previous nights evenings meal but that wasn't an issue for me, unlike some of my fellow travellers who could never be appeased.

The evening-meals were at times a nightmare for me, being a vegetarian. Some foods and the soup would have hidden ham in them, as if to underline the hotels incredulity that anybody would come to Austria as a vegetarian and expect to be catered for. Some nights the culinary-offering was worse than others, meaning I eventually gave it a wide-berth and headed for the nearby Birklstueberl, which offered the closest thing to fine-dining that Seefeld had to offer. Nobody else from the hotel dared to make a break for it but that was understandable and predicted; after all, the price was right and the food not inedible but after a few days, my more sophisticated palate wanted to seek food that rose up against the predictable and bland.

The staff, like all other aspects of the Alpina, were a veritable Curates Egg. As previously mentioned, the chambermaids went about their work with a quiet efficiency and performed their duties to an acceptable standard. I wouldn't for one minute suggest that any of the staff were lazy or disinterested but some were more friendly than others, with one statuesque ice-maiden seemingly insinuated that smiling does not come as standard, at least if aimed towards Brits who a travelling on a budget. She was though, the exception to the rule. The cheery send-off from the staff as we left on our coach to the airport was indeed touching; although, the more cynical side of me thought they were quite ecstatic to see us leave.

It was though a little disconcerting to look back on my seven days in the Alpina and realise I never came across anybody approaching managerial-level or a member of the Marcati family. The aforementioned family seem to be 'the' family in Seefeld, in keeping with most Austrian resorts that have a dominant family who almost run the town. I feel the Alpina was once greater than its current incarnation; I sensed that it is an asset mercilessly being sweated by the Marcati family to help sustain their other, more high-profile business activities such as the Laerchenhof, their real-estate arm, ski-lift, hunting trips and more. Their motto is Hotels and more but perhaps this phrase is something of a transposition error.

The staff in my opinion are sold short by the owners, who expect them to maintain a fading property to an acceptable standard on an obvious shoestring. But, in keeping with the contradictions that pepper my review, the hotel more than manages to hold its own and therefore, its three star(not a three and a half Inghams rating) and my rating of three out of five are merited and well-earned. I hope the rumours of the property being on the market are true so this hotel, its diligent staff and the quiet but advantageous location it is positioned in can be successfully but sympathetically exploited to realise its full but currently neglected potential.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
12 Thank Charlie B
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This was our choice of hotel booked via a package holiday with Inghams in September 2013. Slightly run down but the whole hotel was clean and our room at the front of the hotel was large and roomy with a massive bed and a balcony overlooking the fabulous mountains which greeted us each morning. As mentioned elsewhere, the food could not be faulted and the staff were friendly and courteous. Great breakfasts, free packed lunches every day, afternoon tea/coffee with delicious Austrian cakes and free drinks with our evening meals.
The pool was clean and really warm and eased the limbs following some great walking in the area and further afield. The only downside is that they don't provide free WiFi but a short walk into the town (about 10 mins) and you could hook up to the free WiFi service provided by the town of Seefeld which was a really lovely town both during the day and during the evening.

Room Tip: Try to go for the 'Superior' room if possible as they are larger than the average rooms.
1 Thank Jeff L