“No added sugar Alpen, (well Alpina Hotel)”
Review of Hotel Alpina

Hotel Alpina
Ranked #34 of 58 Hotels in Seefeld in Tirol
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Beautiful location, good transport links, train almost right on the door step, either going to Innsbruck or all the way to Munich and plenty of lovely stops in between. Reliable bus service to local area but in general the public transport is not that regular so you may need to plan carefully to make sure you are able to get return journeys at a time you may require.
The Hotel is comfortable, clean and tidy with a short stroll into Seefeld town which has lots of lovely coffee and cake shops, bars and ice cream parlours. Our room was available on arrival, which is always an added bonus when you have been up from 2 am, we did not have a balcony and looked out over the rear part of the hotel but the room was a reasonable size and lovely and quiet. We had sent an e mail requesting a quiet room but didn’t get a reply so not sure if this was just by luck or if our request had been taken into account. The bathroom was OK, not huge but large enough, however the shower over the bath did not have a shower curtain, not even one of those horrible plastic ones that try to cling to you when you shower. I was worried about the bathroom becoming more of a wet room so didn’t use the shower in the end. The water seemed to be lovely and warm at all times. The tap on the sink was either warm (to the left) or hot (to the right) but didn’t seem to get completely cold. Not a major problem, just an observation. There wasn’t any air conditioning in the room and it did get warm a couple of times but opening a window was enough to cool it down. We had the window open at night as there wasn’t any noise to bother about. The room had black out curtains and a reasonably sized safe deposit box, key was in the box and no one said anything about a charge. Beds were made up every day and we did ask for a twin and got the ‘Austrian Twin’, which for us was a large base with 2 sep. small beds on top. However the fitted sheet was a double so even though we had sep. duvets you couldn’t tuck them down between the mattresses, not a major issue for us travelling as a couple but could see how this may be a little bit too friendly for some people who actually want a proper sep. twin bed. The duvets were lovely and fluffy but the pillow was extremely floppy and I found I needed the small one underneath to make it seem like a ‘normal’ pillow. OK for us, but if you have neck problems this may be an issue. There was a TV in the room but only really showed news and sport in English, but who goes on hols to watch TV?
The Restaurant was a nice size with plenty of choice of where to sit, some of the tables were allocated for group guests but most of the couples just chose where they wanted to sit and mostly people seemed to pick a table for the duration of their stay, we did. The food was nice, breakfast was a choice of 3 cereals, yogs, fruit, pre prepared egg, bacon, sausage which was kept in a hot serving container and you just helped yourself buffet style, boiled eggs were available too. Also bread and you could make toast, with croissants and cake. I think enough choice to please most people, plus the ‘German’ type breakfast with cold meats/cheese. Everyone was offered a packed lunch every day which was usually ham roll, cheese roll, a piece of fruit and a cereal bar. No drinks we given but you usually were able to purchase drinks at a reasonable price from lots of locations. There were a couple of Spar supermarkets in the local area, plus another small supermarket so plenty of choice nearby. The evening meal was printed out every morning so you knew what to expect. There was always salad, soup, a main meat dish, plus usually a fish dish with a couple of veg/rice dishes with a couple of choices of pud. The coffee/tea and cake in the afternoon was a lovely touch too. Free drinks with dinner were available too, beer, red or white wine, soft drinks. Lovely. All the staff were very helpful and friendly and we didn’t have a problem with being understood. There was a nice indoor pool, which didn’t seem to get a lot of use, plus some other rooms attached. I think it was like a mini spa but I didn’t make any enquiries to find out what extra services were available. Plenty of sun loungers, chairs and tables dotted around in the garden which was nice.
There didn’t appear to be any ‘entertainment’ at the hotel in the evening but there were a couple of activities in Seefeld that Inghams organised. The reps were also lovely and friendly. I enjoyed the day trips and I thought they were very reasonably priced. We did the deepest lake/smallest village tour, plus another Merano trip which was in Italy (a fairly long but very pretty coach trip). We also got the Stams monastery trip free as we booked 2 trips. I think it would’ve been nice to do the Munich one too. But we wanted a day to go by ourselves to the Alpen Zoo in Innsbruck which was lovely. A small funicular type train trip up the ‘congress’ transfer and a few lovely hours spent looking around all for 11 Euros. Love animals and you got quite close to most of them. You had to have ‘your eye in’ to see some of them in the cages as they blended very well with the background. There was too much to do in the local area, we didn’t even get to go on the Rosshütte (seemed to be pronounced Rossitter - like Leonard the actor, but I like to call it the ‘Ross Shoot’) so would love to go back again to do more. Only saw the gorge walkway from the bus, loved the round trip on the bus via Leutasch and Sharnitz. Also loved the stroll around a nearby lake. So much we didn’t get a chance at.
So generally speaking I would say the Alpina is definitely not for the clubbing/night life culture. More of an adult type holiday, there were only 2 late teens when we stayed, would not think there would be a lot for small children to keep them occupied. I would go back to the area. I think you get what you pay for. I would recommend the area for the walking alone. Beautiful.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank twoscompany_10

Reviewed June 20, 2012

Hi Just back from a lovely stay in this hotel in the Tyrol, Austria a nice clean hotel with excellent food & service. I f anything it's a bit dated. Only complaint ! just to warn anybody who might be going there. Our and only our room (No 30) lights + corridor light blacked out @ 23:00 Hrs. & left us in a total darkness & there was nobody to contact till morning. The room being on the bottom floor was dark all day anyway due to the trees outside. I had a tourch but could not find a fuse / trip box in the room or outside so we had to wait till 07:00 till somebody came in. The manageress (owner i think) & after explianing the problem she went to another part of the hotel and reset trip in fuse box. So be warned. The trips with Inghams were spot on with huge thanks to Gary & team the were a delight with a lot of expertiese.

Room Tip: Do not ask for a lower floor dark all day. Very low beds
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank bikerbrian
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Hotel is conveniently situated - booked en bloc by Inghams Travel. Food is buffet style with plenty of choice for breakfast and dinner.A free packed lunch is given you daily if you want it, also there is tea/coffee and cake served every afternoon at 4 o'clock, Wine or soft drinks are included with dinner.Staff are efficient and friendly.My one complaint about the hotel as a single traveller was the poor quality of the single room I was allocated. I was told there was no single supplement at this hotel and, on arrival, I could see why. I had a long narrow dark room with not even enough space for a bedside table. The small TV was perched on top of a unit and the only way to see TV was by sitting on the side of the bed. The centre light in the room was not working, also the basin in the bathroom leaked - after 2 days I had to ask for both to be attended to - I wrongly assumed the room maid would have reported the problems after servicing the room each morning. After 3 days I could tolerate the poor condition of accommodation no longer and I called the Ingham Rep to inspect the room after which I was moved into a vacant family room in the hotel up to the end of my stay. Fellow travellers by and large were satisfied by their accommodation but the room I was allocated was certainly very much below par and not fit for purpose. In the light of this experience I would hesitate to book again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcony
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
9  Thank Sorop
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This is the only hotel I've ever stayed in where the staff all stood on the porch waving us off when we left. I don't think it was because they were glad to be rid of us, more that they were just really lovely and nothing was too much trouble. Hotel is in a really good location, close to town, buses, station, restaurants, bars, shops. Good food, adequate packed lunch if you wanted one and nice coffee and cake awaiting you after a long walk in the mountains. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view to the front, the back rooms just look out on tree trunks.
7  Thank Joan B
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Hotel in perfect peaceful location within easy walking distance of Seefeld. Staff very nice and helpful, food and drink lovely too! Rooms a little dated but very clean and comfortable, we had a balcony with a lovely view for a little extra. Nice pool at the hotel and garden to relax and enjoy the mountain views. Felt very comfortable at the Alpina and able to relax. Seefeld itself is a beautiful place, so pretty and clean, lots to do, we will be returning!!!!!

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are worth the little extra, they had lovely views and nice and roomy!!
8  Thank Samantha22Lichfield
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Stayed here for 2 weeks in May this year. The whole family had a great time even our little boy, who enjoyed the pool. The staff were exceptional accommodating all our nee and being flexible with our requirements, always with a smile.
See field is a special place and we will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: We stayed in the apartment and couldn't fault it. Spectacular views over the Alps and direct acc...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank David S
Reviewed May 31, 2012

The Hotel Alpina scores very highly for the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, nothing was too much trouble for them. The standard of the food which was served was excellent and the unlimited beer wine and soft drinks served with dinner was just that. There was none of the reluctance to bring a second carafe which we have experienced in other places. The whole package was extraordinary value. We enjoyed the walks in and around the Seefeld and went on a very efficient train trip to a nearby town. After walking we enjoyed drinking a wheat beer at the nearby Terrace Bar.

The room we were given was spacious and had a balcony. I suspect that we were upgraded because having asked for a twin room we were initially given a double and asked to be changed. It was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The view from the balcony was spectacular.

There seems to be a problem generally with doubles and twins which the holiday company should explain in their literature. A twin in Austria, we were told, is a double bed with two matresses and two duvets. That was fine for us but it might be a surprise for two unrelated people sharing a room.

There was a problem with the hot water in our room which was finally resolved by Wednesday. In the meantime we were given the key to a vacant room where there was water.

Despite this problem we encountered I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: If you want a view get a room with a balcony.
11  Thank mothersday