“Superb position by the Lake”
Review of Hotel Lake View

and 1 more site!
Hotel Lake View
Ranked #32 of 47 Hotels in Pushkar
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We stayed at the Lake View on the recommendation of friends and loved it. We had room 18 which faces the Lake and has its own small balcony. The room itself is very basic but fairly large and spacious and with lots of shelves built into the walls useful for storage. The position of Lake View right on the lake is its chief attraction and its central location, right in the middle of town. This does mean that it can get very noisy, especially during the Mela season when pilgrims visit the Lake and the ghats are thronging day and night. The music, especially the drumming is quite relentless but adds greatly to the atmosphere. The views over the lake from the roof are stunning, especially at sunset when hundreds of candles are lit around the ghats. We missed having en suite facilities but decided it was worth the inconvenience to spend a few days in this lovely place. The shared bathrooms were very basic and standards of cleanliness not brilliant. Booking can also be a bit hit and miss and we had a few 'misunderstandings' with Raghu the owner - even though we booked in with the help of a seasoned traveller who is a long term resident at Lake View! This is especially true during the Mela season when prices can go up by 4 times as much and rooms are hard to come by. We didn't eat at lake View but did enjoy the occasional drink on the roof top. Would certainly return, in spite of its limitations, this place is quite special

Room Tip: The rooms on the Lake side with balcony have lovely outlook over the lake.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank crouchendchris

Reviewed April 9, 2012

You might have heard of the tales that you've got to be extra careful when choosing your restaurant in Pushkar (compare Lonely Planet). Rumors have it that waiting and or kitchen staff might intentionally mix something into your food because of some dubious motivation.

Unfortunately, in my case it proofed true: A particularly bored and unfriendly waiting staff at the Lake Side roof top terrace felt strongly offended by my question whether they might serve beer. Replying that coke is just as fine, I ordered a chickpea curry to go along with the fizz. I must admit that I realized at that moment that something felt wrong with that waiter. But I was hungry and decided to stay and wait for my dinner. When the waiter re-appeared I recognized that his attitude has changed: He opened up and kept watching me with an unreadable face. An hour later I realized that his expression showed some sort of satisfaction. It took me roughly one hour until I spent the rest of the night in the bathroom. Followed by extending at the place for two more nights to recover from the food poisoning at least as much to be able to board another long distance bus.

How can I be sure that it was the Lake View resto? All I'd like to reveal at this place is: Should you ever had the privilege of a similarly strong food poisoning, then you know that I knew at that time, without the least doubt, that it was caused by that chickpea curry at the Lake View.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Frank M
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We spend 6 weeks in this hotel and for us personally its just the best. Of course it depends on the rooms you have. Some have grate lake view but a shared shower and toilet, some have bathrooms inside. Maybe the shared bath is not always perfectly clean and due to power cuts in Rajastan sometimes there is no hot water but considering the location, the lake balconies and the ridiculously cheap price. The rooftop food is great and if you're lucky you meet nice people with whom you can sit in front of a fire for ages during cold nights. Raghu is a very nice person who cares about his guests, his wife cooks great food and the atmosphere is fantastic. We are looking forward to come back in spring. By the way if you accept a transfer, its 250 Rs (the driver gets it all) for a 20 minutes ride from Ajmer train station to the hotel, judge for yourself if its worse it. The price during Camel Fair doubles in all Pushkar.

Room Tip: As to see the room first. If you like what you see, take it.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2011

The rooms are quite basic with a bed but the wooden doors have holes. The window of the rooms does face the street and during the fair, the street gets extremely busy and noisy. Most of the rooms are available without an attached bathroom. The bathrooms are clean on the ground floor, i.e., the reception floor but the 1st floor bathrooms are extremely dirty and even the drainage doesn’t work properly.
The roof top restaurant has an exemplary view i.e., overlooking the ghat and the view is classic.

The food is average at the restaurant. The service of the hotel is average.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 6, 2011

...we had no timelimit when we arrived in the "hotel lake view"... Our room (Nr.18) was not special decoratet but clean and had a very nice balcony with a great view over the lake and all the ghats.
For 400rs per night we had no own bath but that was o.k.
The food from the rooftop restaurant, witch prakash brought us, was very good.
We had a so nice time in the "hotel lake view" that we stayed there for almost one week.:-)

Nice regards, maaike and ulf

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed December 6, 2011

This was probably the best place where I stayed for my whole India trip. I was in the cheapest room possible and it was amazingly clean and cosy, shared bathroom and toilets for that type of rooms was not a problem at all, they were clean and nice. Staff was kind and helpful, the location of the hotel is perfectly central. Rooftop restaurant available with nice view. I recommend this place to everyone visiting Pushkar. Can't wait to go once again there and stay in the same room :)

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 5, 2011

first of all, i had agreed with mr raghu that we would have a room at lake view and NOT at his other resort (whose name i can't remember) which has NO view.
so our driver took us to the other resort directly and we were checked in and being extremely tired and new to pushkar we only then realised this was not the place we had booked.
once we tried to argue with them, we were told: but the rooms are better and bigger here! and this place is quieter!
i don't know if that was true, but i wish i had been given the choice.

second, we were charged extra for some tax for the car, which was never mentioned to me before.

third, we asked mr raghu is we could check out at 8pm and he said yes, without mentioning any extra charge.
being too naive, we did not enquire on whether we would be charged more.

so the day after, his lovely wife (one of the rudest hotel owners i have ever met in my long life as a backpacker) told us: you have to pay one more night! and we ended up paying 1000 more rupees to keep the room an extra 12 hours.

all this was done without a smile, without a thank you, without an 'im sorry for the misunderstanding' - everything was done to rip us off.

so NO I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND YOUR HOTEL