“Brilliantly Quirky Hotel”
Review of Sheesh Mahal

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Orchha
Sheesh Mahal
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Orchha
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Brilliantly Quirky Hotel”
Reviewed November 5, 2010

We stayed in the Maharaja Suite, which is one of the finests and yet unusual rooms we have ever slept in. The room is vast and beautifully decorated and is now airconditioned and with a TV. It has its own outside seating and dining area with a view of the magnificent Jehangir Palace.

The bathroom has what must be the world' most unusual toilets. Jutting out from the side of the palace, 30 metres or so above the ground, theire are excellent views, while seated, through clear windows of surrounding countryside and various ruins.

The hotel is located in the smallest of three adjacent palaces. It looks a little run down from the outside, but the inside has been reasonably restored by MP Tourism.

Food is OK, but nothing special. Service is excellent.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Amsterdam
Reviewed October 11, 2010

What an awesome place! The hotel is part of the palace and I don't remember I have ever stayed in a beautiful place like this before. I think I was a bit lucky with my room (room number 5), but also my friend who stayed in an other room was very pleased with her room.
My room was very spacious and lovely decorated. There was TV, AC, hot water, 24 hrs electricity back up, beautiful setting etc. The room was about 40 US dollar a night, including breakfast. In my opinion very cheap for what it is.
The service was also good. We ate 1 of our 2 nights in the hotel. The food was good, but not spectacular and so was breakfast.
I could easily stay 1 month or longer in this hotel (if I would have the same room I guess). It was so beautiful and peaceful.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Hethersett Norfolk
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Reading other reviews the conclusion has to be that the quality of each room is not consistent with another. Mine was great (number 7 I think built into the Palace itself - see picture, it's on the right with the steps up to a door), large room,memorable furniture and a bathroom bigger than my house at home with constant hot water - and very clean. I arrived late in an auto rickshaw from Jhansi station (225 rupees for 12 mile trip) and the management was waiting for me. All staff were helpful, which most tend to be I find if you treat them like human beings and not servants as a number of western tourists I observed tended to do.

The food was not brilliant (as is the tendency with Govt Hotels) but the room service was attentive. The Maharajah Suite appeared to be not worth the extra expense (someone will show you around for a tip) but the hotel location within the main Palace complex is special.

The only quibble I would have is the booking from overseas. I could not find a way of doing this direct with the hotel and had to go through a Delhi agency. This involved sending passport details etc via post which took time and I was concerned by booking might lapse - the bureaucracy perhaps down to the fact it is a Government run hotel).

This is not a Western Style 4 star hotel - it is uniquely Indian and therefore defines the point of travel. I would recommend it to anyone with an open mind and a slight sense of adventure.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank IndiaNut
Germany
Reviewed February 1, 2009

The location is very beautiful, inside the historical palace. But that's about it regarding the atmosphere of the hotel. The dining room lacks it - not many people there anyway - the rooms lack it too. We stayed in the Maharaja Suite, too expensive for what you get. I don't understand why one shouldn't expect a clean room and good service in a government owned property? Look at the heritage hotels in Rajasthan, that's what one can expect! I don't know, when it was the last time, the bathroom of our "suite" was cleaned, must have been quite some time ago. And for this I don't accept - oh it's government owned and the employees are all paid so poorly. The service in the restaurant is not the best either. We had such an unfriendly waiter there every morning and evening. The food however was ok. Another lady staying there for quite some time told us, she inspected the kitchen and for indian standards it was very clean. Orchha is an interesting town, it's so much fun to explore all the old buildings. But the expression we took home with us was: Orchha - "fly town" I've been to India 5 times now and never have I seen so many flies - just disgusting. Therefore the preference for breakfast, lunch and dinner at the Sheesh Mahal restaurant. The other part of Orchha I absolutely disliked: the kids, pestering you for hours and hours, day after day. Comes second after Khajuraho! The trick is: buy me the soccer ball, it's just 10 rupees, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease. And the merchants have a lot of soccer balls hanging outside their stores.....

• Liked — the location up on a hill above the town of Orchha
  • Disliked — cleanliness of the room
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank RosiS
England
Reviewed January 31, 2009

It's always interesting to read others reviews - it just goes to show how different we all are about expectations.

I liked the Sheesh Mahal. It was exactly what i expected of a Government owned Heritage Hotel off the beaten track -spacious, shabby and wacky. We stayed in the Best suite and loved the eccentric nature of it - old western loo perched like a throne with views over the town and a huge marble bath you could never hope to fill. If you want 4* western standards then get real and stay in a western chain and pay the price - this is exactly my kind of Hotel and a little bit of real Heritage India at a price that is affordable.

I also found the staff charming and very helpful especailly the manager. The restaurant could be better but it wasn't terrible either. All in all a good stay and Orccha itself was like a breath of fresh air and quite our favorite place in India - I highly recommend the white water rafting experince organised by the manager for us.

Each to their own - I loved it.

• Stayed January 2009
Dublin
Reviewed January 7, 2009

The Sheesh Mahal is totally overrated and very expensive for what you get. Under no condition stay in the Maharani suite as it is a total rip off. The normal rooms are much better value. We stayed in both. The normal room was quite good but the gardeners had been using the toilet (as the room faced onto the main courtyard) and left the toilet seat wet! The next night we stayed in the Maharani suite which is just a large room with a ridiculously long corridor to the toilet. The bed is not particularly comfortable either.
The food was fairly terrible too. We ordered a saag paneer and all they did was empty a can of spinach into a bowl with a few pieces of paneer. Very poor. The beer is expensive to at rp150. The staff are fairly feckless too! And had a bit of an attitude after I failed to tip them for bringing a beer from the fridge to the reception (literally 1 metre away).
On the positive side, it is a very atmospheric location.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank TrisTam
Paris, France
Reviewed September 9, 2008

Nice place in Orchaa, room 14 as the best quality/rate for a family. But the front desk is a real pb. If you book, don't even think that they will keep the room you want. Top management makes things easier ...

I don't recognize somme attached pictures, rooms are clean !

• Stayed August 2008
1 Thank ramseshub
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orchha
Amar Mahal Orchha
JenJon Faagun Haveli Orchha
Jhansi Hotel
Jhansi Hotel
#1 of 14 in Jhansi

Been to Sheesh Mahal? Share your experiences!