“I stayed an extra night”
Review of Monarch Rama

Monarch Rama
Ranked #3 of 20 Orchha B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“I stayed an extra night”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I am on a bicycle trek across India so I have stayed at fancy hotels amd less so for over a month. I arrived in Orchha very tired and it began to rain. The first hotel on the main road after the second city gate is the Hotel Monarch Rama. The manager shouted to me from the entrance. I asked how much. He replied US $8 and that made me suspicious. You get what you pay for. But he said look at the room first. So I did. Clean. Hot water and I didn't have to wait thirty minutes for it. I saw a mosquito fly into the room. The manager killed it. Cable TV with premium English language stations. All for $8. I have paid a lot more for less in India. The cons: No backup generator when power goes out. And no WI-Fi but the manager informed me the government will approve the Wi-Fi permit this month. Yes! In India you need government permission to get Wi-Fi! I liked it so much I spent an extra day in Orchha. I had a basic room but they have fancier for more $$$. Five minute walk to Jahangir Palace, Main Market, and Rama Mandir. Manager gave me special directions for a road not on maps to save me ten miles bicycling to my next destination in Lalitpur!

Room Tip: I heard some other guests saying that they had premium rooms they were pleased with: 106 and 107. I...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank JamesNYC212

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Tehran, Iran
Reviewed December 3, 2012

my boy friend and I stayed there for 3 nights, it is very close to the main street, clean, hot water, good service and reasonable price, also there is a computer with internet in the entrance hall. we got a nice clean room for 400 rps.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I stayed in a single room for two nights. Very spacious room, 24hours hot shower, TV and the Internet access from a computer in the lobby provided. If you did your laundry you can hang your cloths on the rooftop as well. The price was also reasonable compared with other hostels in the area.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Fukuoka, Japan
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed at Monarch Rama Guest House in Nov 2012 for one night. This GH located just 2-3 min walk from the main street. There were many guest houses are nearby but we chose this because we thought this GH was worth staying. After negotiating with the manager, we got a nice clean room for 400rps. The room had TV, 24 hurs hot shower and big enough for 2 persons.
I have been traveling for a long time in India but I couldn't find the room with TV and it only cost 400rps. I think it was quite reasonable.
The staffs of this GH gave us good guidance what to do, where to eat etc... and also they were very friendly.
As I mentioned above, there are many guest houses are in Orchha, but you may start from this guest house!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Paris
Reviewed November 26, 2012

This hotel is very great ! We stay a few days and the room and peoples were great.
Clean room, hot water, tv and good bed.
And if you want AC, it's also possible.
A better choice than some other places for the same price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed September 30, 2012

we stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and it was very clean and quiet , with hot shower, telly and large spacious room, internet service in the lobby as well as parking ., it is very close to the main sites and market also close to very nice restaurants,

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple