“Hampi - Every Stone has a story to tell”
Review of Hampi

Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
3 helpful votes
“Hampi - Every Stone has a story to tell”
Reviewed July 24, 2007

It was just a month before that we decided that we will be visiting the historical place Hampi. I knew that this was not the right time to be there as sun mercilessly pours his heat all over Hampi. But this heat couldn’t win over our excitement to go to the ruined city, Hampi. It was almost 10 hours journey from Hyderabad to Hospet. It’s in Hospet that we get good lodging and good food. Hampi is just 15 to 20 kms from Hospet. My parents and aunt were coming from Bangalore and myself and my brother were supposed to meet them in Hospet. At 4 in the morning our bus entered a small town and I saw a temple made of big stones and a person sitting stiff and doing meditation. Now I guessed that I am somewhere near Hampi. My guess was right and we were at Hospet at 4:00 am. Both me and my brother being T-aholics went and had good tea. This was the first thing that we did there. Our parents and aunt arrived by 6 am. We lodged some where and started to get ready for a big day ahead.

Hampi is a 700 year old city built by Hakka and Bukka in the year1336 on the banks of river Tungabhadra. It’s the capital city of Vijayanagar empire. They built the city under the guidance of Saint from Sringeri mutt called Vidyaranya. The city was built during the days of Mohammedan attacks. The palace was very much apt at that time. It was at the banks of river Tungabhadra and it’s full of rocky Hills. It’s really difficult to any one to cross those rocks to conquer the empire at that time.

The Vijayanagar Empire was ruled by the likes of HakkaBukka I and II , Virupaksha Raya, Krishnadeva Raya, Achyuta Raya, etc. It was under Krishnadeva Raya that empire found its most prosperous days. Vijayanagara was at that time more prosperous and bigger than Austria (courtesy ‘Forgotten Empire – Vijayanagara’ by Mr. Robert Sewell). Foreign merchants were always there trading spices and glittering stones.

Read more here

3 Thank ManjuKP
Bengaluru, India
4 helpful votes
“Ruins of the great Vijayanagar Empire”
Reviewed January 2, 2007

Left Chitradurga on 28-dec-2006 afternoon at 1pm and reached Hospet by 3:30 pm ( 2hr 30 min) . Good road on NH13 , which is also called as Sholapur Highway . This is a deviation at Chitradurga from NH 4 . But be careful near the villages , you find many Humps on the road . Many Trucks give you a great company and you need to be careful if you are driving down. I was On my Santro - Hyuindai Car with my wife and Daughter .

We stayed at Hotel Malligi , Decent hotel but little expensive for that small town. But because of Foreign tourists who stay here this is little expensive. I doubt you get any other decent hotel in Hospet other than this hotel .
MOre Later ...

4 Thank Jambar

Been to Hampi? Share your experiences!