All reviewsgreat danesgreat place to meet peoplethe ownergreat crowdthe wood fired ovenopen skythe riverdogs and catseasy placepaddy fieldssocial placesunset pointmeet other travellershampi islandfour nightsawesome placeindian food
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I recently spent 6 nights at Goan Corner. I hadn't planned on staying that long but it was hard to leave.

When you cross the river the 'town' and most of the accommodation options are located to the left but G.C is to the right surrounded by rice paddies, with the omnipresent boulders as a backdrop.

Our 450R room had a private bathroom, hammock outside and a great view of said paddies and boulders. It could have been cleaner but was acceptable. The shower leaked constantly the whole 6 days, we told the staff and they said they would deal with it but never did.

There's a great restaurant serving all manner of food from Indian to Pizza to Full English Breakfast. Waiting staff were friendly though sometimes not very attentive. That is with the exception of Israel who was amazing and must be singled out for special praise.

It's geared towards climbers and rents out shoes and crash mats. There's a knotted rope to climb in the restaurant/chill area. But you don't have to be a climber.

There's an internet café on site but it had very irregular hours and was often closed. But don't fret as there's another 40 metres down the road.

They can book the usual train/bus tickets etc for a fee. One word of warning. I booked a ticket then cancelled it (getting a refund but losing a percentage.) I then booked another ticket. When I came to leave there were 2 tickets on my bill even though they'd told me they'd removed the first one. So check your bill carefully.

Another warning. I asked the staff about renting a scooter. One was provided for me. I later tried to ask something about the arrangement and the owner seemed annoyed and was very insistent that it was nothing to do with G.C even though I had seemingly rented it from them. Later the people I had actually rented it from tried to overcharge me. I paid what I owed and walked away.

But despite these minor annoyances I would recommend staying here for the location and peaceful atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 26, 2012

A definite pit stop for travellers at Hampi.
Is located at one edge of the town opposite to Hampi, across the river.

Comfortable stay, very delicious food and drinks, enormous menu list. The chicken lasagne and tandoori chicken was just delicious.

A definite stay, away from the city.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank ankitparul
Reviewed February 21, 2012

The perfect location near Hampi, the quiet, you can hear the frogs, the birds singing instead of the indian horns, Thakur and Sharmilla are very nice owner of this little home away from home!
Between rice fields and boulders (if you're climbing it's definetely the place to stay), away from the village of Virappur Gaddi on the other side of Hampi, we stayed 10 days there, the food is very good, everyone is nice, so why are you still waiting here? Go to the Goan Corner!!! But don't tell the guide books please, it has to stay the place you've heard from a friend who heard from a friend... :)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Laure V
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Lcoated across the river, on Hampi Island, which is the newly popular backpackers area. Near some impressive boulders so popular with rock climbers - we did feel a bit out of place as didn't climb or do yoga....

Range of huts and rooms available and you really pay for what you get. Ours was 300 rupees a night, very basic, quite grubby with outdoors shared toilets, cold water only. Electricity is only on certain hours of the day. Our room wasn't a very nice place to hang out in but many have hammocks outside for chilling in, although ours didn't.

When we stayed there were quite a lot of ill people around. Someone said 'everyone gets ill in Hampi....' so not sure if that was linked to the accommodation or not, although I wouldn't be surprised if there were germs going about as the rooms looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a long time and the toilets/showers were not great.

The cafe area is a good place to hang out and meet people. The staff are really friendly and helpful. The food was tasty - okra curry and the veg lasagne are two things that really stick out - so hopefully it wasn't the food making everyone ill! I don't think it was as not everyone was eating there all the time. Loads of other guest houses nearby if you want a change of scenery in the evenings anyway.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank skipz23
Reviewed March 8, 2011

The goan corner wants to make your stay comfortable and let you to pay the bill of all you had including food and room etc. in the end of your stay.

after 10 days, we required a balance between, to keep our travel office in the view and paid the bill of nearly 3000 Rs. The owner acknowledged the bill with his signature!

in the final statement, (3 weeks later) we found the amount already paid on the bill again.
in addressing this matter, both owners got aggressive and shouted that we would have faked his signature.
They were very abusive and said our baby will get bad karma and really other ugly and vulgarly words.
and they accused us of doing more things like theft, etc.
which should have happened in the last travel 4 years ago in their guest house,
but actually she accused a girl with the same doings.
and We stayed there for a total of 5 weeks and they never mentioned something about the things that alleged should have happened in the last stay.
We are really disappointed about it, how to treat guests.

Torsten and Ribana